
Tags:
Wayne Bennett will not continue as coach of Queensland for the 2021 State of Origin series so he can focus on his job at South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Bennett returned to lead the Maroons in October of last year, taking on the role after Kevin Walters had stepped down following his appointment at Brisbane Broncos.
Queensland went on to win 2-1 - beating New South Wales 20-14 in the deciding game in Brisbane - but the search is now on for a new coach ahead of this year's series.
"We were really grateful that Wayne made himself available to help us out last year," Queensland Rugby League managing director Robert Moore said in a statement.
"We understand the decision Wayne has made in his last year of his contract with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, as he's eager to concentrate his efforts on them because they've been so close [to a premiership]," Moore said.
"With Wayne's decision, we've now moved to a process to consider the next appointment and we anticipate that process will be completed early this year."
The Origin games are scheduled to take place in June and July, having been shifted to after the NRL season last year due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
LATEST STORIES
Calabar and Cedar Grove Power into Rugby League U16 Finals
- 2025-03-19 05:56:57
- Hits 949
Reggae Warriors name 20-man squad to face Wales on October 15
- 2024-10-09 12:58:39
- Hits 897
Reggae Warriors fall to Wales in rain-soaked Rugby League international
- 2024-10-16 11:05:57
- Hits 358