Skip to main content
“Easily One of the Worst Decisions Ever Made!”- Bravo Blasts Decision to remove Powell from West Indies T20I Captaincy
Written by Bradley Jacks. Posted in Windies. | 01 April 2025 | 1511 Views
Tags: Dwayne Bravo, Rovman Powell, T20I Series, West Indies

Former West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has blasted the decision to remove Rovman Powell at captain of the West Indies T20I team, describing it as “one of the worst decisions ever made.”

During a quarterly press conference held by Cricket West Indies (CWI) on Monday morning, it was announced that Powell had been removed as skipper of the regional team in the shortest format and replaced by current One-Day International captain, Shai Hope.

CWI Director of Cricket Miles Bascombe said the move was made on the advice of head coach Daren Sammy, who said the appointment “signals a progressive shift for West Indies cricket, given his success with the 50-over team in the last 18 months."

Bravo, a former West Indies captain himself, has blasted the move, issuing a scathing response directed at Cricket West Indies on social media.

“Once again you guys prove to the people of the Caribbean and the cricket world that the injustices towards players continues!” he said.

“As a former player and a fan of West Indies cricket, this is easily one of the worst decisions ever made,” Bravo added.

Powell took over leadership of the West Indies' T20I side in May 2023, and led them to home series wins against India, England and South Africa during his tenure.

“Rovman Powell took over captaincy when our T20 team was ranked in the ninth spot and was able to move us up to third in the rankings and this is how you guys repay him?” Bravo continued.

“The bad treatment towards players, when will it stop? This is so sad on all levels…make it make sense!”