Mercedes fail with appeal over Verstappen-Hamilton Sao Paulo incident

By Sports Desk November 19, 2021

Mercedes have failed with an appeal over an incident involving Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton during the Sao Paulo Grand Prix last weekend.

Verstappen forced Formula One title rival Hamilton off the track in Brazil last week in defending his position at the front of the race.

The race stewards "noted" the incident while the race was ongoing, but did not see any reason to penalise Red Bull's championship leader.

Hamilton went on to win the race, reducing the Dutchman's lead to 14 points with three races to go.

The Silver Arrows on Tuesday revealed they had asked for the stewards to take another look at the incident on the basis of "new evidence" from onboard camera footage.

It was confirmed on Friday Verstappen will not face any punishment after the stewards rejected the appeal.

The stewards explained: "There will always be some angles of video footage, because of limits in both technology and bandwidth, that are unavailable at the time.

"Whether or not stewards' decisions are considered to be right or wrong, and just as with referees' decisions in soccer, it does not seem desirable to be able to review any or all such in‐race discretionary decisions up to two weeks after the fact and the stewards therefore seriously doubt that the intent of the Right of Review in the ISC [International Sporting Code] is to enable competitors to seek a review of such discretionary decisions that do not follow on from a formal inquiry by the stewards and do not result in a published document."

Although the stewards agreed Mercedes had provided new and relevant evidence, they disagreed that it was "significant" in this case.

Their statement said: "The stewards often must make a decision quickly and on a limited set of information. At the time of the decision, the stewards felt they had sufficient information to make a decision, which subsequently broadly aligned with the immediate post‐race comments of both drivers involved.

"Had they felt that the forward‐facing camera video from Car 33 [Verstappen] was crucial in order to take a decision, they would simply have placed the incident under investigation – to be investigated after the race – and rendered a decision after this video was available. They saw no need to do so."

Both Verstappen and Hamilton were the subject of stewards' enquiries in Brazil, the latter handed his second penalty of the week due to a DRS issue.

The verdict was announced after Verstappen was fastest in the first practice session at the Qatar Grand Prix.

Related items

  • Ecclestone says he would 'take a bullet' for 'first-class' Putin Ecclestone says he would 'take a bullet' for 'first-class' Putin

    Bernie Ecclestone has sparked outrage by declaring he would "take a bullet" for Vladimir Putin and saying Volodymyr Zelensky should have done more to stop the war in Ukraine.

    Ex-Formula One supremo Ecclestone on Thursday described Russian president Putin as a "sensible" and "first-class person", who has made "mistakes" like "a lot of business people."

    When it was put to Ecclestone in an interview on ITV's Good Morning Britain that Russia's invasion of Ukraine has resulted in thousands of innocent people being killed, Ecclestone replied that "It wasn't intentional."

    The 91-year-old also stated that he had not spoken to his "friend" Putin since Russia started the invasion of Ukraine in February.

    "I'd still take a bullet for him [Putin]. He's a first-class person." said Ecclestone.

    "Unfortunately he is like a lot of business people, certainly like me, we make mistakes from time to time."

    He added: "It wasn't intentional. Look at the times America has moved into different countries which has nothing to do with America. Actually in America it's their business, they like wars because they sell a lot of armour so it's good for them."

    Ecclestone also claimed Zelensky, the president of Ukraine, ought to have made more of an effort to engage with Putin.

    He said: "I mean, the other person in Ukraine, I mean his profession I understand, he used to be a comedian and it seems he wants to continue that profession because I think if he had thought about things he would have definitely made a big enough effort to speak to Mr Putin, who is a sensible person and would have listened to him and could have probably done something about it."

    Ecclestone added: "I'm quite sure if Ukraine would have wanted to get out of it properly they could have done."

    Asked about the Russian Grand Prix being removed from the calendar and Russian drivers from being banned, Ecclestone replied: "I'm not in the position now to have done anything about that.

    "I'm not sure I would have stopped that, and I certainly now wouldn't, and I think it's wrong, to stop Russian athletes, including obviously drivers, in taking part in their sport.

    "They didn't get involved in this in the first place. They shouldn't be punished."

  • FIA revises F1 engine rules after reliability issues FIA revises F1 engine rules after reliability issues

    The FIA has updated the Formula One sporting and technical regulations ahead of this weekend's race at Silverstone – including an amendment to the rules regarding power units. 

    The 2022 season has seen several reliability failures by teams, including a number for title-fighting Ferrari, and action has been taken as a result.

    Teams will now be able to swap power units under parc ferme conditions for newer versions that have been put into their pool – whereas any change of specification of a car component that is replaced in parc ferme between qualifying and the race previously resulted in a pit lane start.

    The rules have also been revised to allow for teams to make temporary power unit repairs when necessary, which may allow them to avoid fitting replacement parts.

    A number of early-season controversies have also been addressed, including rules regarding regulations for tyre testing being tweaked – with intrigue emerging after Ferrari ran two floors in testing ahead of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

    Deflection tests to check on the flexibility of rear wings and beam wings have been updated, and mirror rules have been altered to help improve visibility.

    Fuel cooling issues pre-race, including those seen at Miami, have also been addressed, with teams allowed to cool fuel to 20 degrees Celsius at hotter races.

    The unpopular change to media activities ahead of the season, which saw them moved to Friday, has now been reverted to Thursday afternoon following complaints from teams and drivers.

  • F2 'surprised' as Juri Vips retains Hitech Grand Prix seat F2 'surprised' as Juri Vips retains Hitech Grand Prix seat

    Formula 2 have expressed its disappointment at a decision from Hitech Grand Prix to allow Juri Vips to retain his seat for the remainder of the season.

    The Estonian was axed by Red Bull following an investigation into alleged racist language used during an online gaming session, stripping him of his reserve driver status and a spot in the team's young driver programme.

    However, Vips will retain his seat with Hitech Grand Prix ahead of this weekend's race at Silverstone with team principal Oliver Oakes stating he would give the 21-year-old a "chance to redeem himself".

    "I have made the decision for Juri to keep his F2 seat with Hitech for the remainder of the season, a decision we have seriously debated," he said.

    "Allowing him to complete his season with Hitech is an opportunity for him to demonstrate, through his actions, the type of person he is. 

    "I have made it clear that I think the language used was totally unacceptable, but I choose to give him the chance to redeem himself.

    "Hitech GP employs an inclusive workforce and has never condoned racism or offensive behaviour in any forms. 

    "That said, if we live in a society where no one can make a mistake, then genuinely apologise, have the chance for redemption and learn from it – what does it say about society?"

    The decision resulted in disappointment from F2, which admitted it was not a course of action it would have taken.

    "Following the recent incident involving Juri Vips, F2 would like to reaffirm that the use of racist or discriminatory language cannot be tolerated in any environment," it said.

    "Hitech Grand Prix's decision today is surprising and not one we would have taken. We will monitor the situation carefully with them to ensure that such behaviour is properly addressed."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.