Hamilton: 'Worst fears came alive' in controversial Abu Dhabi title controversy

By Sports Desk August 08, 2022

Lewis Hamilton has opened up on his emotions following the controversial end to the 2021 Formula One season, admitting his "worst fears came alive" in Abu Dhabi.

The Mercedes driver was at the tail-end of a fierce battle with Red Bull's Max Verstappen for the championship in last year's finale, knowing a record eighth world title would be clinched if he finished ahead of his rival.

On lap 53, Hamilton led but drama would soon erupt as Williams' Nicholas Latifi crashed into the barrier at the exit of turn 14 and the safety car was deployed.

Under FIA guidelines, lapped cars are allowed to overtake behind the safety car but that guidance was not followed by race director Michael Masi, who instead only allowed the cars between Verstappen and Hamilton to move through.

Verstappen, having pitted, then completed an overtake of a defenceless Hamilton at the restart to clinch his maiden title.

The controversy that followed rumbled on for months, with Masi departing his role prior to the start of the 2022 season, and Hamilton has now spoken about his feelings regarding the incident.

"You see things start to unfold and my worst fears came alive," he told Vanity Fair.

"I was like, there's no way they're going to cheat me out of this. There's no way. That won't happen. Surely not.

"I don't know if I can really put into words the feeling that I had. I do remember just sitting there just in disbelief. 

"And realizing I've got to undo my belts, I've got to get out of there, I've got to climb out of this thing, I've got to find the strength. I had no strength.  And it was one of the toughest moments, I would say, that I've had in a long, long time.

"I knew what had happened. I knew what decisions had been made and why. Yes, I knew that something wasn't right."

Ahead of the 2022 season, questions were raised whether Hamilton would return to the grid, and he admits that he considered retirement.

"I, for sure, considered whether I wanted to continue," he confirmed.

Hamilton did return, racing alongside new teammate George Russell, but has not been able to compete for the crown, instead encountering numerous issues with Mercedes unable to compete with Red Bull and Ferrari at the start of the season.

Better fortune was found ahead of F1's summer break, with back-to-back podium finishes for both drivers, but Hamilton remains 112 points adrift of Verstappen in the standings.

Related items

  • F1 to double number of sprint races to six in 2023 F1 to double number of sprint races to six in 2023

    Formula One will increase the number of sprint qualifying races from three to six for the 2023 season.

    The shortened format, introduced to F1 in 2021, sees teams and drivers take part in traditional qualification sessions on Friday, before an additional 100km race on Saturday sets the grid for Sunday's grand prix.

    This year's calendar saw sprints at Imola and the Red Bull Ring, with the final event to take place at Interlagos.

    From next year however, half-a-dozen race weekends will pull double duty following a rubber-stamped proposal.

    "I am pleased that we can confirm six sprints from 2023 onwards," F1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali said in a statement.

    "The feedback from the fans, teams, promoters and partners has been very positive, and we all want to ensure its success in the future."

    World champion Max Verstappen qualified top and won both sprint races earlier this season, though he only converted the feat at Imola into a race win, with Charles Leclerc victorious in Austria.

    The F1 season continues this weekend in Singapore.

  • Kazakhstan race added to MotoGP calendar from 2023 Kazakhstan race added to MotoGP calendar from 2023

    A first MotoGP in Kazakhstan will be staged next year after a five-year deal was agreed.

    It was confirmed on Tuesday that the new Sokol International Racetrack will stage the race from 2023.

    The circuit is just outside Kazakhstan's largest city Almaty and will be the 74th venue to host a race in the premier class.

    A MotoGP statement said: "The region will be a new pitstop for MotoGP as the sport continues to expand around the world, engaging with new markets and fanbases.

    "Kazakhstan will also become the 30th country to host a motorcycle Grand Prix since 1949, a perfect landmark number to celebrate the ever-expanding history of the world's first motorsport World Championship, and Sokol International Racetrack will be the 74th venue to host a premier class Grand Prix."

  • Zhou to stay with Alfa Romeo for 2023 F1 season Zhou to stay with Alfa Romeo for 2023 F1 season

    Zhou Guanyu has kept his Alfa Romeo seat for the 2023 Formula One season.

    The 23-year-old made history when he became the first full-time Formula One driver from China this season and scored a point on his debut in Bahrain.

    Zhou has gone on to pick up a further five points in his maiden campaign and he will remain Valtteri Bottas' team-mate next year.

    "I am looking forward to continuing working with Zhou," Alfa Romeo boss Fred Vasseur said on Tuesday.

    "From day one with the team, at the Abu Dhabi test last year, he has impressed me with his approach to work and this is always a very positive trait. We knew he was quick, but the way he adapted to Formula One in such a short time has been one of the best surprises of our season.

    "He is a very nice guy, everyone in the team likes both his personality and attitude. He has had the humility to ask questions and learn, from the engineers as well as Valtteri, and the intelligence to apply all the information he got to improve race after race.

    "He will have this experience to draw on next season, and I am sure he will make another step forward as we continue to grow our team."

    Zhou expressed his gratitude for the faith Alfa Romeo have put in him.

    He said: "I am happy and grateful to Alfa Romeo F1 Team for the opportunity to be part of the team for another season.

    "Making it to Formula One was a dream come true and the feeling of competing for the first time in a race will live with me forever: the team has been incredibly supportive, welcoming me from day one and helping me adapt to the most complex series in motorsport.

    "There is more that I want to achieve in this sport and with the team, and the hard work we have put together since the start of the year is just the first step towards where we want to be next season.

    "There is still a lot to learn, a lot to develop but I am confident in our work: I am looking forward to the next chapter of our story together."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.