Vettel dismisses McLaren links as 'rumours' amid talks over Aston Martin stay

By Sports Desk July 21, 2022

Sebastian Vettel has dismissed speculation linking him with a move to McLaren as "just rumours" as his "clear intention" is to stay with Aston Martin.

Four-time world champion Vettel's contract expires at the end of this season.

With McLaren's Daniel Ricciardo enduring a difficult year, posting just three top-10 finishes to sit 12th in the drivers' standings, there has been talk he could leave the sport, with Vettel touted as a potential replacement.

When asked about Vettel's future last month, Aston Martin boss Mike Krack said: "We were always clear that if he wants to continue, we would like him to stay."

Speaking ahead of the French Grand Prix, the German says there is nothing in talk that he could be on his way to McLaren.

He said: "I think Lando [Norris] has a contract… No, I obviously know some people there, but I think it's just rumours."

The 35-year-old hopes to come to an agreement with Aston Martin before long.

He added: "Well, I'm racing this weekend, and the next one. Then yeah, obviously I've said that at some point, we will start to talk.

"I'm talking to the team; I think there is a clear intention to keep going. We'll see soon where we stand."

Related items

  • Ferrari principal Binotto to leave at end of year Ferrari principal Binotto to leave at end of year

    Ferrari have confirmed the departure of team principal Mattia Binotto, ending a professional relationship that extends all the way back to 1995.

    The 53-year-old, who originally joined almost three decades ago as a member of their engine department, succeeded Maurizio Arrivabene in 2019 in charge of the Scuderia.

    But his departure has been widely expected following a Formula One season that saw Ferrari rival Red Bull in the early stages before dropping away amid a series of technical errors and operational failures.

    Binotto will officially depart at the end of the year, on December 31, with the team adding a search for his successor is already underway.

    "With the regret that this entails, I have decided to conclude my collaboration with Ferrari," he confirmed in a statement.

    "I am leaving a company that I love with the serenity that comes from the conviction that I have made every effort to achieve the objectives set.

    "I leave a united and growing team. I think it is right to take this step at this time, as hard as this decision has been for me."

    Ferrari chief executive officer Benedetto Vigna paid tribute to Binotto, and added he leaves the team in a prime place to continue to compete at the top of the sport.

    "I would like to thank Mattia for his many great contributions over 28 years with Ferrari and particularly for leading the team back to a position of competitiveness during this past year," he stated.

    "As a result, we are in a strong position to renew our challenge, above all for our amazing fans around the world, to win the ultimate prize in motorsport.

    "Everyone here at the Scuderia and in the wider Ferrari community wishes Mattia well for the future."

  • 'If you're not prepared, then it's better to stop' - Verstappen ready for mammoth F1 calendar 'If you're not prepared, then it's better to stop' - Verstappen ready for mammoth F1 calendar

    Max Verstappen suggests any drivers in Formula One not prepared for a record-breaking race calendar next season should consider quitting.

    The Red Bull man, who claimed a second world drivers' championship crown this term, capped his imperious year with victory at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix earlier this month.

    But the Dutchman will face a longer fight to defend his title once more next term, with F1 poised for a possible 24-race campaign, two more than in 2022.

    That has raised concerns over the fatigue drivers may face across a mammoth season, but Verstappen suggests those who do not feel they are cut out for the long haul should step back.

    "If you're not prepared, then it's better to stop already, right?" he told The Guardian. "I think we're all racers, and we love racing.

    "I think we are all prepared for longer seasons. I hope it will be tight. It's always nice to have a fight until the end. But yeah, I'm prepared for more races and for a longer fight hopefully."

    Having seen the battle for his maiden title in 2021 go down to the wire in controversial circumstances, Verstappen ultimately secured his second crown with four races to go, at the Japanese Grand Prix.

    Acknowledging it was nice to have a change of pace, the Dutchman also affirmed his hopes for a closer contest next term.

    "You can't have that drama every single year, for sure," he reflected on 2021. "It's not good for me, it's not healthy for anyone in the team, both teams.

    "Of course it's nice to have a season like I had last year, but it's also nice to have a season like I have this year.

    "It just would be very tough if you have that every single year. But that also doesn't really happen in F1, so it should be okay."

  • Red Bull announce Ricciardo return for 2023 Red Bull announce Ricciardo return for 2023

    Red Bull have announced the return of Daniel Ricciardo, who will be their third driver for the 2023 season.

    The Australian left the grid following his exit from McLaren, where he completed his final race in Abu Dhabi last Sunday, and it was widely expected that he would be returning to Red Bull, who he left in 2018.

    Ricciardo had a stint with Renault before moving to McLaren, with spells at both teams being disappointing ones, and it was announced earlier this year he would be leaving the latter – Oscar Piastri being his replacement on the grid.

    The 33-year-old did not turn his back on Formula One, however, and could return to the grid with a full-time seat in the future, though previously stated he felt the best approach could be as a reserve driver.

    That move has now come with Red Bull, where he will be an understudy to Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez in 2023 – filling in should either of the pair be unable to race, as well as competing in practice sessions.

    "The smile says it all, I'm truly excited to be coming back home to Oracle Red Bull Racing as their Third Driver in 2023," Ricciardo said.

    "I already have so many fond memories of my time here, but the welcome from Christian [Horner], Dr [Helmut] Marko and the entire team is something I'm sincerely appreciative of.

    "For me personally, the ability to contribute to and be surrounded by the best team in F1 is hugely appealing, whilst also giving me some time to recharge and refocus.

    "I can't wait to be with the team and support with simulator work, testing sessions and commercial activities. Let’s go!"

    The 2023 Formula One season will begin on March 5 in Bahrain, the start of a record-breaking 24 races across the course of the campaign.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.