NFL

Flores alleges racism as he launches legal action against NFL, Dolphins, Broncos, Giants

By Sports Desk February 01, 2022

Former Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores has launched a class action lawsuit, alleging the NFL is rife with racism and has a "disingenuous commitment to social equity".

Flores is suing the league along with teams at whose hands he alleges he has personally experienced racism, naming the Dolphins along with the New York Giants and Denver Broncos as defendants, together with "John Doe Teams 1 through 29".

The suit, filed at the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, demands a jury trial. The NFL said Flores' claims "are without merit", saying it would put up a defence. The three teams named by Flores also rejected his allegations.

Flores claims he inadvertently learned he had failed to get the Giants head coach job last week, even before his interview took place.

The suit contains screen grabs of an alleged text message conversation between New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Flores, in which Belichick congratulates Flores on what he believes is an impending appointment, only to realise he was messaging the wrong person, having intended to contact Brian Daboll, who got the Giants job.

During the text exchange, Flores questioned whether Belichick had messaged the correct person, with the Patriots coach having indicated he had inside knowledge on who would land the job. According to the lawsuit's contents, Belichick at this point realised his error and apologised to Flores, who worked for him for 10 years with the Patriots.

The NFL has a 'Rooney Rule' in place. It requires all teams seeking a new head coach "to interview at least one or more diverse candidates", and the lawsuit alleges on this occasion the Giants interview was "a sham" that "humiliated" Flores.

A spokesman for the Giants, Pat Hanlon, was quoted by the New York Times on Tuesday as saying the team was "confident with the process that resulted in the hiring of Brian Daboll", adding that Flores was "in the conversation to be our head coach until the eleventh hour".

It is also alleged in the lawsuit that Flores "was interviewed only because of the Rooney Rule" by the Broncos in 2019 and was never intended to be "a legitimate candidate", while also criticising the interview board.

The Broncos have described the various claims against the franchise as "blatantly false" and "baseless and disparaging claims".

A number of allegations are made in the suit about Flores' time with the Dolphins, which came to an end only last month.

The Dolphins responded by saying they "vehemently deny any allegations of racial discrimination and are proud of the diversity and inclusion throughout our organisation".

The class action alleges: "The NFL remains rife with racism, particularly when it comes to the hiring and retention of black head coaches, coordinators and general managers. Over the years, the NFL and its 32-member organisations have been given every chance to do the right thing.

"Rules have been implemented, promises made – but nothing has changed. In fact, the racial discrimination has only been made worse by the NFL's disingenuous commitment to social equity."

It also contains a series of allegations that it points to as evidence the NFL as a whole has a racism problem when it comes to the hiring of black individuals, alleging it is "racially segregated and is managed much like a plantation".

In response, the NFL said: ​"The NFL and our clubs are deeply committed to ensuring equitable employment practices and continue to make progress in providing equitable opportunities throughout our organisations.

"Diversity is core to everything we do, and there are few issues on which our clubs and our internal leadership team spend more time. We will defend against these claims, which are without merit."

Related items

  • Favre would be 'shocked' if Adams matches Green Bay production in Las Vegas Favre would be 'shocked' if Adams matches Green Bay production in Las Vegas

    Green Bay Packers great Brett Favre would be shocked if star receiver Davante Adams has the same production with the Las Vegas Raiders as he had playing alongside quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

    Adams signed a five-year, $141.25million contract extension with the Raiders after a blockbuster offseason trade from the Packers, turning down an offer of more money to remain in Green Bay.

    The pass-catcher left four-time MVP and 38-year-old Rodgers to reunite with Derek Carr, who was his QB in college at Fresno State.

    Favre is in no doubt the presence of Adams will improve Carr and the Raiders but would be surprised if the wideout was able to match his career-best totals of 123 receptions for 1,553 yards last season.

    Adams also caught 11 touchdowns in 2021, which was his second straight All-Pro season, having grabbed an incredible 18 the year before. 

    "Derek Carr is a very good quarterback, but he's not in Aaron's league yet," Favre said to TMZ Sports.

    "He may never be, and that's no disrespect either, but I do think that Davante owes a great deal of gratitude to Aaron and the Packers drafting him.

    "That's not to say he's not a great player because he is a tremendous player and we'll see that with Las Vegas. 

    "But it's just hard to shift gears, especially from a player as prolific as Aaron Rodgers. 

    "I'd be shocked if he had the same year he's had this year. That's not to say he can't do it, but I would be shocked."

    Favre added: "No disrespect to Davante at all - zero disrespect. I do think that Davante will make Derek Carr better and, in time, they will be a dynamic duo. 

    "Now will it be the duo that Aaron and Davante had? Time will tell."

    Adams and Carr will be part of a star-studded AFC West in 2022.

    The Kansas City Chiefs have won the division for six straight years and made four straight AFC Championship Games, but all three of their rivals go into the year with postseason aspirations.

    Las Vegas have added Adams as one of many high-profile moves and the Denver Broncos traded for star QB Russell Wilson.

    The Los Angeles Chargers, meanwhile, have high expectations as they surround Justin Herbert with one of the NFL's strongest all-round rosters.

  • Veteran NFL RBs Adrian Peterson and Le'Veon Bell sign up for exhibition boxing bout Veteran NFL RBs Adrian Peterson and Le'Veon Bell sign up for exhibition boxing bout

    Adrian Peterson and Le'Veon Bell will swap the pads and helmets for gloves and shorts after agreeing to meet in an exhibition boxing match later this month.

    The veteran running backs are due to face off in the squared circle at Los Angeles' Crypto.com Arena on July 30.

    Bell, a three-time Pro Bowler, made the announcement on social media.

    "[And] it's official nothing else needs to be said, let's gooo," Bell, 30, posted on Twitter, accompanied with a poster promoting the bout.

    Peterson is not officially retired from the NFL but made just four appearances for the Tennessee Titans and Seattle Seahawks in the 2021 season.

    The 37-year-old became a star name during a 10-year stint with the Minnesota Vikings and was named MVP in 2012 - a campaign where he became the seventh player to rush for 2,000 yards in a season.

    Peterson ranks fifth on the NFL's career rushing yards list with 14,918 and is a seven-time Pro Bowler.

    Like Peterson, Bell has not officially hung up the cleats but has struggled to find a permanent home since leaving the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2018. Last season, he made eight appearances for the Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

    ESPN reported the fight will take place on the undercard of Social Gloves 2, an event promoted by YouTube star Austin McBroom.

  • USC and UCLA receive approval to join the Big Ten USC and UCLA receive approval to join the Big Ten

    USC and UCLA could be joining the Big Ten Conference as soon as 2024 after league officials voted Thursday to approve the schools’ application for membership.  

    The move is just the latest in a wave of realignment among college football powers, moving away from the strictly regional model that had organized the sport for more than a century.  

    In two years, the Big Ten will stretch from coast to coast with campuses from California to New Jersey.  

    USC athletic director Mike Bohn called the conference "the best home for USC" in a statement on Thursday night. 

    "Ultimately, the Big Ten is the best home for USC and Trojan athletics as we move into the new world of collegiate sports," he said. "We also will benefit from the stability and strength of the conference." 

    UCLA chancellor Gene D. Block and AD Martin Jarmond also released a combined statement Thursday, announcing the move.  

    "Each school faces its own unique challenges and circumstances, and we believe this is the best move for UCLA at this time," they said. "For us, this move offers greater certainty in rapidly changing times and ensures that we remain a leader in college athletics for generations to come."  

    With Oklahoma and Texas scheduled to join the SEC and both L.A. rivals headed to the Big Ten, many pundits have predicted continued movement until two giant leagues contain all the sport’s traditional powers.  

    According to multiple reports, USC and UCLA initiated conversations with the Big Ten. The sides first met on Wednesday, with the unanimous membership vote coming just 24 hours later.  

    The Pac-12 loses two charter members while negotiating a new media rights deal and leaving the conference scrambling to keep up in the realignment arms race.  

    Since receiving news that Oklahoma and Texas were leaving, the Big 12 has arranged for new members in Cincinnati, UCF, Houston and BYU.  

    The Pac-12 will now likely look for new members of its own in order to keep up.  

    "While we are extremely surprised and disappointed by the news coming out of UCLA and USC today, we have a long and storied history in athletics, academics and leadership in supporting student-athletes that we're confident will continue to thrive and grow into the future," the Pac-12 said in a statement. 

    The Big Ten is currently negotiating its own media rights deal that is expected to exceed $1 billion annually.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.