NFL

Rodgers confirms broken thumb on throwing hand

By Sports Desk November 24, 2022

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers revealed he has been playing with a broken thumb on his throwing hand but insists it "doesn't make a difference" to him playing.

Rodgers reluctantly confirmed on Wednesday that he suffered a right thumb injury on the final play of the October 9 game in Week 5 to the New York Giants in London, a 27-22 loss.

The Packers QB conceded the injury was hurting but not harmful, and insisted it would not impact his availability for Sunday's game against the 9-1 Philadelphia Eagles.

"It doesn't make a difference with me playing," Rodgers told reporters. "It doesn't make a difference. You saw the tape on my thumb. Didn't make a difference."

Since Week 6, Rodgers ranks joint 32nd in the NFL for win-loss (1-5), 28th for total QBR (38), 22nd for yards per attempt (6.7) and 26th for completion percentage (62 per cent), with a minimum two starts. Rodgers has thrown 11 touchdowns and four interceptions during that six-game span.

The Packers had started the season 3-0 but are now 4-7 and appear destined to miss the postseason.

"I think I've had worse injuries I've played with," Rodgers said. "Definitely a challenge, but the days off helped. Feeling better this week.

"I actually didn’t even want to get X-rays because I still was going to play but they talked me into it."

The Packers have had an extended break after last Thursday's 27-17 loss to the Tennessee Titans, offering Rodgers additional days to rest the injury.

"I hope it helped his thumb," Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said.

Related items

  • Labuschagne and Smith reach double centuries as Australia leave West Indies a mountain to climb Labuschagne and Smith reach double centuries as Australia leave West Indies a mountain to climb

    Marnus Labuschagne and Steve Smith made double centuries as Australia piled on the runs against West Indies at Perth Stadium, achieving a feat last witnessed over a decade ago.

    Not since Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke plundered double tons against India in January 2012 had any pair of batters made 200-plus scores in the same innings of a Test match.

    This first Test saw Australia follow up their opening-day dominance with more commanding batting to reach 598-4 on Thursday, before West Indies rallied to reach 74-0 at stumps, with debutant Tagenarine Chanderpaul closing in on a half-century.

    Labuschagne had been 154no overnight, and Smith was with him on 59, and they went on to post 204 and 200no respectively, sharing in a third-wicket stand of 251 runs. It was a second Test double century for Labuschagne, and a fourth for Smith.

    Australia declared when Travis Head was dismissed on 99, edging the 95th ball of his innings into his stumps to give West Indies captain Kraigg Brathwaite a second wicket, ending a 196-run alliance with Smith.

    In reply, Chanderpaul, son of West Indies great Shivnarine Chanderpaul, powered to 47no as Brathwaite battled to 18no, offering hope the tourists may be able to show sufficient defiance to still take something from this match, the first of two in the series.

    Smith joins Bradman

    Smith's century, which became a double, was his 29th ton in Tests, moving him level with the great Don Bradman on the all-time list. He and Bradman share fourth place among Australia century-makers, behind Ricky Ponting (41), Steve Waugh (32) and Matthew Hayden (30).

    Chanderpaul a chip off the old block

    Facing the full assault of Australia's pace attack, Chanderpaul did not always look comfortable against Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood, but he found a way to survive to the close.

    Dad Shivnarine made 11,867 Test runs for West Indies, so Tagenarine is just 11,820 behind now. More relevantly, perhaps, Shivnarine made 62 in his first Test innings, against England in Georgetown in 1994. After this strong start, West Indies will hope his son can go significantly past that score on Friday.

  • Murray fires back at former Cardinals team-mate Peterson after podcast criticism Murray fires back at former Cardinals team-mate Peterson after podcast criticism

    Kyler Murray has fired back at criticism from former Arizona Cardinals team-mate Patrick Peterson, accusing him of using his name to grow podcast numbers.

    It has been a tough season for quarterback Murray and the Cardinals who are now 4-8 for the season following a dramatic 25-24 defeat to the Los Angeles Chargers last weekend.

    Following that loss, Murray drew more attention to the reported tensions between himself and head coach Kliff Kingsbury when he said the Cardinals were "schematically f****d". Earlier this season, the two were involved in a heated exchange during a win over the New Orleans Saints.

    Cornerback Peterson, who played with Murray for two seasons and is now with the Minnesota Vikings, said on the 'All Things Covered' podcast: "Kyler Murray don't care about nobody but Kyler Murray. That's just a matter of fact."

    He added that Kingsbury will wind up as a scapegoat for the Cardinals' struggles, saying: "Ain't no maybe, he will. He will be. He will be. And the crazy thing about it, the guy who hired him will still have a job."

    Murray took exception to Peterson's jibes and issued a blunt riposte on social media.

    He wrote: "This isn't true…you on some weird s***, you got my number, if you really felt like this as a 'big bro' or 'mentor' you supposed to call me and tell me, not drag me so your podcast can grow…"

  • DeShaun Watson has shown lack of remorse and NFL suspension should have been longer - RAINN president DeShaun Watson has shown lack of remorse and NFL suspension should have been longer - RAINN president

    DeShaun Watson has shown a lack of remorse and should have been suspended by the NFL for at least a year, according to the president of anti-sexual assault organisation RAINN.

    Scott Berkowitz spoke to Stats Perform as Watson prepares to make his Cleveland Browns debut.

    Watson was handed an 11-game suspension and a $5million fine following sexual assault and misconduct allegations. The 27-year-old has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and is facing no criminal charges.

    The ban has meant the star quarterback has yet to debut for the Browns after his March trade from the Houston Texans, which was followed by a lucrative new contract in Cleveland.

    The NFL had initially hit Watson with a six-game ban before the punishment was extended. Berkowitz was happy to see that decision taken but says there is still work to be done.

    "There's no length of suspension that would make up for the damage that he did to all those women. We initially advocated for a year suspension, which I think would have been appropriate," Berkowitz told Stats Perform.

    "But 11's a whole lot better than six. So, it is what it is, and he'll be back on the field. And hopefully, with some different behaviour going forward.

    "It [Watson's return] was bound to come eventually. But I certainly wished this suspension had been a little longer.

    "But I just appreciate that the NFL added to the initial recommendation, at least, and made it longer than it initially looked like it was going to be."

    Berkowitz said he can appreciate the need for second chances, but he claims Watson has not truly accepted any wrongdoing.

    Watson has settled 23 of the 24 lawsuits against him.

    "I understand second chances, I think that is something as a society we need to offer folks. But usually, there's a requirement that there's remorse and that they make things better," Berkowitz said.

    "I think in this case, the day the suspension was announced, I recall he first put out a quote that had been written by the team that said the right things and then he immediately followed that up with what he really thought, which is that he doesn't think he did anything wrong.

    "I don't know how you talk about forgiveness to someone who doesn't feel any remorse."

    Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam said on August 1 that "Deshaun is remorseful that this situation has caused much heartache to many and he will continue the work needed to show who he is on and off the field".

    In a remarkable coincidence, Watson – who has a fully guaranteed $230million five-year deal with Cleveland – is set to make his Browns bow against the Texans on Sunday.

    During five years in Houston (the last of which in the 2021 season Watson did not make a single appearance), he twice helped the Texans to the playoffs and was a three-time Pro-Bowler.

    Berkowitz does not expect Watson to receive an overly enthusiastic reaction from the home crowd.

    "I suspect it won't be a hero's greeting, or I hope it won't. You never know when a star comes back to their hometown," Berkowitz said.

    "But, you know, I hope that the reaction takes into account the terrible things he's done. It's hard to be enthusiastic for rooting for a guy who's done the things that he was accused of doing."

    However, Berkowitz did acknowledge the reception from Browns fans moving forward will likely depend on Watson's performances on the field.

    "I'd like it to be taken into account, his actions, but I'm realistic, that's once he gets going if he plays well, that the memory of that, unfortunately, is going to fade pretty quickly," he said.

    "Most fans of most teams have learned to put personalities aside and put that behaviour aside, unfortunately, and, once they're playing well, they start cheering for the guy.

    "And we're all guilty of that. So, there's always that tension, when your team is putting up people who you need to win but you don't feel comfortable rooting for personally."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.