Six Nations: Van der Merwe suspended for Scotland's final matches

By Sports Desk March 08, 2022

Scotland's Duhan van der Merwe's Six Nations campaign is over after his red card for Worcester resulted in a three-game ban.

The 26-year-old was dismissed for "reckless or dangerous play" on London Irish's Kyle Rowe in Saturday's Premiership match which Worcester lost 43-12.

The suspension means van der Merwe will miss Scotland's final two Six Nations matches against Italy and Ireland.

Van der Merwe had scored his 10th try for Scotland in their 36-17 loss to France at Murrayfield Stadium on February 26.

Scotland have one win and two defeats in the Six Nations, having beaten England 20-17 in their opening game before losses to Wales and Les Bleus.

Related items

  • Alex Goode: Saracens’ title success driven by last year’s final disappointment Alex Goode: Saracens’ title success driven by last year’s final disappointment

    Alex Goode admits Saracens’ Gallagher Premiership title success was driven by the regret of “not throwing a punch” during last year’s meek Twickenham final defeat.

    Swashbuckling Sarries produced a high-tempo display to overcome spirited Sale 35-25 and make amends for their limp, last-gasp loss to Leicester at the same stage in 2022.

    Saturday afternoon’s enthralling climax to the campaign was a milestone moment for Mark McCall’s men as they clinched silverware for the first time since being relegated for salary cap breaches three years ago.

    Long-serving full-back Goode says the six-time champions were determined to avoid suffering frustration for a second successive season, having failed to score a try in a forgettable 15-12 reverse against the Tigers.

    “The feeling of winning drives a lot of people,” said the former England international. “I love it. It’s really special.

    “It was really disappointing for us last year with what happened. We set out in pre-season to make sure that we didn’t get that feeling again, not throwing a punch in a big game.

    “We didn’t give the best account of ourselves and (this year) it was a really great example of doing what we’ve done all year and keep playing and keep going.

    “We saw some of the best rugby we’ve played all year.

    “There was some brilliant defence at the end but before that it was the courage and bravery to keep playing.”

    Saracens ended a fragmented first half disrupted by a Just Stop Oil protest and injuries to Jamie George and Sean Maitland 20-13 ahead following a penalty try and a Max Malins score.

    Sale hit back to briefly lead 25-23 after Tom Roebuck and Bevan Rodd added to Akker van der Merwe’s first-half try before Elliot Daly and Ivan van Zyl crossed to see Sarries home on a scorching afternoon in south-west London.

    Goode praised the influence of Saracens and England captain Owen Farrell, who kicked 13 points en route to being named man of the match.

    “He’s playing unbelievably well but he’s always been a huge big-match player,” said Goode. “How many finals has he got man of the match?

    “He’s a competitor and it’s a joy to play with him when you know he’s going to stand up and be counted and take the fight to them.”

    Underdogs Sale threatened to spring a surprise in only the club’s second Premiership final after finishing the regular season five points behind their table-topping opponents.

    While the Sharks were unable to emulate the feat of the club’s victorious 2006 side, they produced an encouraging performance in the capital containing a standout display from Manu Tuilagi.

    Director of rugby Alex Sanderson believes England centre Tuilagi is peaking at the right time moving towards this autumn’s World Cup in France.

    “Manu’s playing his best rugby,” said Sanderson. “He’s at his most robust.

    “We said this was the aim two-and-a-half years ago for him to be playing his best rugby going into the World Cup and we’ve achieved that.

    “But he is just one of 22, 23 players that I’m immensely proud of.”

    Sale captain Jono Ross, who played his last match before retirement, believes the club have exciting times ahead.

    “I think it’s the start of an era,” said the South African back-rower.

    “I don’t see why this team can’t be here fighting for titles year in, year out.

    “There’s a lot of youth in this group and sometimes youth is ignorance. They all took it in their stride, very relaxed before the game, no-one seemed overawed. I think this team will grow.”

  • Two men charged after Just Stop Oil protest at Gallagher Premiership final Two men charged after Just Stop Oil protest at Gallagher Premiership final

    Two men have been charged in connection with protest activity during the Gallagher Premiership final at Twickenham on Saturday.

    The Metropolitan Police said that Samuel Johnson, 40, of Reydon, Suffolk, and Patrick Hart, 37, of Brislington, Bristol, were charged with aggravated trespass.

    The Just Stop Oil protesters invaded the pitch midway through the first half of the match between Saracens and Sale, throwing orange paint powder on to the field.

    The duo were escorted out of the stadium by stewards and the game continued, with Saracens going on to win 35-25.

    A statement from Commander Kyle Gordon, of the Met, read: “To date we have seen 102 slow marches across London by Just Stop Oil that has caused serious disruption and frustration to those going about their business in the city leading to 51 arrests to date.

    “Similarly, yesterday’s incident at the rugby final will have caused frustration to both the players and spectators alike.

    “With many other events taking place, and visitors in our capital this weekend, we will continue to monitor and respond to such incidents quickly.

    “Where protest moves into criminality or serious disruption, we will take robust action to ensure Londoners and visitors alike can continue to enjoy their Bank Holiday weekend.”

  • England World Cup winner Vicky Fleetwood to retire at the end of the season England World Cup winner Vicky Fleetwood to retire at the end of the season

    England World Cup winner Vicky Fleetwood has confirmed that she will retire at the end of this season.

    The loose forward made her Roses debut in 2011 in their 15-11 defeat to the USA and has earned 82 caps for England, winning five Six Nations titles.

    She was part of the 2014 World Cup-winning squad and played six times during the tournament, including the final as England beat Canada 21-9.

    Fleetwood also played in the 2017 tournament then swapped to join England Sevens, where she won bronze in the 2018 Commonwealth Games before returning to 15-a-side rugby.

    Since joining Saracens in 2014 she is also a two-time Premier 15s title winner with the club.

    “My rugby career has been an incredible journey and has given me memories that will last forever,” Fleetwood told the England Rugby website.

    “Being part of the Red Roses is something special and I’m proud that I got to wear the white shirt on so many occasions.

    “Rugby has given me so much to be thankful for, and I’ve met some amazing people along the way.

    “Although it’s time to step away from playing, I will continue to stay in the game through my coaching – something I am very passionate about.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.