Sexton confirms he will retire after 2023 World Cup

By Sports Desk March 08, 2022

Ireland fly-half Johnny Sexton will retire after the 2023 World Cup despite signing a new deal with Irish Rugby.

The 36-year-old, who earned his 100th cap in November and won the 2018 World Player of the Year, wants to go out on a high at next year's World Cup in France.

Irish Rugby confirmed on Tuesday that Sexton had signed a new contract up until the 2023 event but the 103-cap veteran said he would finish up after that.

“Yeah, finished, 2023 World Cup – it’s up to me to work hard, get the body and mind in the best shape possible and attack the last 18 months,” he said.

“I’m still very driven to get there and perform at the World Cup. I always said that if I am enjoying my rugby and the Ireland and Leinster set-ups believe I can add value to the environment then it would be an easy decision to sign another contract.

“There is some great talent coming through at Leinster at present and I am excited about the prospect of competing at a fourth World Cup with Ireland and the potential for growth in this group between now and then.”

Sexton has played 103 times for Ireland in his storied career and reached the milestone of 500 points in the Six Nations in the 29-7 win over the defending champions last month.

A four-time European Champions Cup winner with Leinster, Sexton is now looking ahead to the prospect of a fourth World Cup finals appearance in France next year.

Related items

  • Galatasaray confirm double signing of Mertens and Torreira Galatasaray confirm double signing of Mertens and Torreira

    Galatasaray have confirmed the double signing of Dries Mertens and Lucas Torreira.

    The Turkish Super Lig side announced they were in negotiations for both players on Saturday, with images circulating on social media of the pair travelling to Istanbul from Milan.

    Mertens, a free agent following the end of his nine-year stint with Napoli, has penned a one-year deal with the club.

    The Belgium international won the Coppa Italia twice during his time in Naples and was a member of the Red Devils squad that came third in the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

    At 35-years-old, Mertens is yet to announce his international retirement and could yet feature at this year's World Cup in Qatar, where Belgium will be in Group F alongside Canada, Croatia and Morocco.

    Torreira, meanwhile, had fallen down the pecking order at Arsenal, spending the past two seasons on loan with Atletico Madrid and Fiorentina. He has signed a four-year contract.

    Capped 39 times by Uruguay, the midfielder will be aiming to represent the South Americans in Qatar – who sit in Group H with Ghana, Portugal and South Korea.

  • Beleaguered All Blacks drop to all-time rankings low with Springboks defeat Beleaguered All Blacks drop to all-time rankings low with Springboks defeat

    New Zealand have dropped to an all-time low of fifth in the world rankings after losing to South Africa in their Rugby Championship opener on Saturday.

    The All Blacks started the defence of their title with a 26-10 defeat at the hands of the world champions at Mbombela Stadium.

    It was a third consecutive loss for New Zealand, representing their worst run since they were beaten five times in a row back in 1998.

    The Springboks piled more pressure on under-fire All Blacks head coach Steve Foster, who vowed to fight on after a first ever home series loss to Ireland.

    Another setback in Nelspruit has dropped New Zealand below England just over a year before the Rugby World Cup starts in France.

    It is now five defeats in six Tests for the All Blacks, who face South Africa once again at Ellis Park this weekend with Foster's job seemingly on the line.

    Ireland are top of the rankings ahead of France, with the Springboks third.

  • No point 'sulking' for All Blacks after Springboks loss, says embattled coach Foster No point 'sulking' for All Blacks after Springboks loss, says embattled coach Foster

    New Zealand coach Ian Foster says there is no point in his side "sulking" over their defeat to South Africa, as the All Blacks coach faces increased calls to stand down.

    The tourists slipped to an opening defeat into the Rugby Championship against the Springboks on Saturday, with the world champions claiming at 26-10 win in Mbombela.

    It means New Zealand have now gone three games without victory, following consecutive losses to Ireland on home turf, producing their longest barren streak since 1998.

    With five losses in their last six Tests now, expectations are that Foster's position may become untenable with another loss in Johannesburg this weekend, with the New Zealand Herald calling for him to go in a front page editorial on Monday.

    But for now, the coach say his team must focus on the next step rather than their mistakes.

    Foster said: "We know there’s a lot of pressure on, and we’re feeling that. But our job is to look at our performance and how we can grow it.

    "I understand the frustration, but that doesn’t change what we have to do here.

    "There’s no point sulking about it for too long. We’ve just got to get into Ellis Park and keep growing our game and still believe."

    Foster also stated his intent to address South Africa's mid-air challenges following a scrappy first encounter, with Beauden and Jordie Barrett both injury doubts following tackles by Kurt-Lee Arendse.

    "It*s becoming a free-for-all for jumpers just to be able to jump and stick a hand out and say they’re competing. It needs to be addressed," he said.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.