Charles Leclerc confident ‘best is yet to come’ after extending Ferrari contract

By Sports Desk January 25, 2024

Charles Leclerc is confident “the best is yet to come” after signing a contract extension with Ferrari.

Leclerc was one of a raft of Formula One drivers heading into the final year of his contract, along with Ferrari team-mate Carlos Sainz, but the Scuderia announced on Thursday that the Monegasque has agreed a new long-term deal.

The 26-year-old, who made his F1 debut with Sauber before joining the Italian team in 2019, has won five grands prix including a famous home victory for Ferrari at Monza in his maiden season.

Leclerc finished fifth in the standings last season as Ferrari, who have not won a drivers’ title since 2007, continued to trail Red Bull and Mercedes but he is confident that he is in the right team to achieve his dream of winning the world championship.

“I’m very pleased to know that I will be wearing the Scuderia Ferrari race suit for several more seasons to come,” Leclerc said.

“To race for this team has been my dream since I was three years old: I used to watch the Monaco Grand Prix from the window of a friend’s apartment and I would always look out for the red cars.

“This team is my second family ever since I joined the Ferrari Driver Academy in 2016 and we have achieved a lot together, fighting through thick and thin over the past five years.

“However, I believe the best is yet to come and I can’t wait for this season to start, to make further progress and be competitive at every race.

“My dream remains that of winning the world championship with Ferrari and I’m sure that in the years ahead, we will enjoy great times together and make our fans happy.”

The 2024 season gets under way in Bahrain on March 2, with Ferrari hopeful their car will be able to fight with a Red Bull team who have dominated the sport for the last two seasons.

Ferrari team principal Frederic Vasseur added: “We are determined to give Charles a winning car and I know that his determination and commitment are elements that can make the difference in helping us reach our goals.”

Related items

  • Lewis Hamilton won’t be swayed by haters as he looks forward to Ferrari switch Lewis Hamilton won’t be swayed by haters as he looks forward to Ferrari switch

    Lewis Hamilton said “people continue to talk s***” about him amid his worst start to a Formula One season.

    The 39-year-old has scored just 10 points from the opening four rounds following his Mercedes team’s misfiring campaign.

    Hamilton has failed to finish in the top six so far, and crossed the line a distant ninth at the last round in Japan a fortnight ago.

    Hamilton, who is moving to Ferrari next year, was asked if Mercedes’ early-season troubles vindicated his decision to quit the team, which carried him to six of his record-equalling seven world championships.

    “I don’t feel like I need my decision vindicating,” he said. “I know what is right for me, and that hasn’t changed from the moment I made the decision.

    “There’s not been a moment that I’ve questioned it, and I’m not swayed by other people’s comments.

    “Even today, there’s people continuing to talk s***, and that will continue on for the rest of the year.

    “I’ll have to just do what I did the previous time (when he moved to Mercedes from McLaren). Only I can know what’s right for me, and this (joining Ferrari) will be an exciting time for me.”

    Hamilton, who was speaking ahead of this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix – the first staged here since 2019 – was asked what he meant by “people taking s***”.

    “Just read what’s out there,” he replied.

    Hamilton will be 40 when he makes his debut for Ferrari in Australia next March.

    Fernando Alonso announced last week that he will remain in the sport beyond his 45th birthday after agreeing a contract extension with Aston Martin. The Spaniard, 43 in July, will become the oldest driver of the modern era.

    And Hamilton added: “I’m going to be racing for quite some time still, right into my 40s, so it’s definitely good Fernando is still around and keeps going on for a bit longer.

    “I never thought I’d be racing into my 40s. I’m pretty sure I said I wouldn’t. But life is such a crazy trick. I don’t feel like I’m nearing 40. I feel like I’m pretty young.

    “It’s a real positive that Fernando is staying because it means I’m not the oldest driver here.

    “But also Fernando is one of the best drivers we’ve had in the sport so for him to continue to be here and continue to have the output that he’s had just shows what’s possible.”

    Hamilton, who has won a record six times in China, will be back on track on Friday in qualifying for the first sprint round of the season.

    In a rejig of the format this year, the grid for Sunday’s main event will now be determined after the 19-lap race which gets under way at 11:00am (4am BST) on Saturday.

  • Lewis Hamilton’s Ferrari debut to be in Australia as 2025 calendar is confirmed Lewis Hamilton’s Ferrari debut to be in Australia as 2025 calendar is confirmed

    Lewis Hamilton will make his Ferrari debut in Australia after Formula One’s bosses announced next season’s record-equalling 24-round calendar.

    Hamilton, 39, is set to realise a childhood dream when he swaps Mercedes for Ferrari in 2025, with the seven-time world champion’s opening race to take place in Melbourne on March 16.

    It will mark the first time since 2019 that the F1 season has kicked off at Albert Park after the following year’s scheduled opener was cancelled at the last minute amid the outbreak of coronavirus.

    The 2025 campaign is due to end in Abu Dhabi on December 7, with the British Grand Prix – starting the first of its new 10-year contract extension at Silverstone – on July 6.

    Triple world champion Max Verstappen has been vocal in his criticism at the ever-expanding length of the F1 schedule.

    But for next season, at least, there will be no new additions to the calendar.

    The campaign has started in Bahrain for the past four seasons, but with Ramadan staged throughout March in 2025, the rounds in the Gulf kingdom, and in Saudi Arabia, will be pushed back to April.

    F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said: “2025 will be a special year as we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Formula One World Championship, and it’s that legacy and experience that allows us to deliver such a strong calendar.

    “Once again, we’ll visit 24 incredible venues around the world, delivering top-class racing, hospitality, and entertainment, which will be enjoyed by millions of fans worldwide.

    “I would also like to pay tribute to our F1 teams and drivers, the heroes of our sport, and our fans around the world for continuing to follow Formula One with such incredible enthusiasm.”

    After four rounds of the current season, Verstappen holds a 13-point championship lead in his bid to secure four consecutive world titles. The next race takes place in Shanghai a week on Sunday.

    Full 2025 F1 calendar

    March 16 – Australian Grand Prix (Melbourne)
    March 23 – Chinese Grand Prix (Shanghai)
    April 6 – Japanese Grand Prix (Suzuka)
    April 13 – Bahrain Grand Prix (Sakhir)
    April 20 – Saudi Arabian Grand Prix (Jeddah)
    May 4 – Miami Grand Prix (Miami)
    May 18 – Emilia Romagna Grand Prix (Imola)
    May 25 – Monaco Grand Prix (Monte Carlo)
    June 1 – Spanish Grand Prix (Barcelona)
    June 15 – Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal)
    June 29 – Austrian Grand Prix (Spielberg)
    July 6 – British Grand Prix (Silverstone)
    July 27 – Belgian Grand Prix (Spa-Francorchamps)
    August 3 – Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungaroring)
    August 31 – Dutch Grand Prix (Zandvoort)
    September 7 – Italian Grand Prix (Monza)
    September 21 – Azerbaijan Grand Prix (Baku)
    October 5 – Singapore Grand Prix (Marina Bay)
    October 19 – United States Grand Prix (Austin)
    October 26 – Mexico City Grand Prix (Mexico City)
    November 9 – Brazilian Grand Prix (Interlagos)
    November 22 – Las Vegas Grand Prix (Las Vegas)
    November 30 – Qatar Grand Prix (Lusail)
    December 7 – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (Yas Marina)

  • Fernando Alonso to remain with Aston Martin until end of 2026 season Fernando Alonso to remain with Aston Martin until end of 2026 season

    Fernando Alonso will remain in Formula One beyond his 45th birthday after agreeing a new multi-season deal with Aston Martin.

    Double world champion Alonso, who will be 43 in July, had been linked with Mercedes and Red Bull – as replacements for Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen respectively.

    But Aston Martin announced on Thursday that Alonso, whose current deal had been due to expire at the end of the year, has agreed new terms to remain with them until at least the end of 2026.

    Both Mercedes, searching for a replacement for the Ferrari-bound Hamilton, and Red Bull – with Verstappen said to be unsettled at the scandal-hit Red Bull team – had been tracking Alonso’s next move.

    And Alonso admitted: “I did speak with other people. It is normal when you enter negotiations that you need to balance the market and listen to everybody else.

    “I will not be specific as to which team I spoke with because this is not important. When teams are searching for a driver, they touch base with everyone just to know their position. They always want to know everything and for me it was the same.

    “Maybe more time was needed (by them), while with Aston Martin there was a clear desire to work together so that is why it was very easy to stay. I felt the most wanted by them. All the other conversations were just light, and never came to any conclusions.

    “I will not wait to see if there is something happening and I can jump in. I will dictate my destiny, whether that is for good or for bad.”

    Alonso will this season become the first driver to take part in 400 grands prix, and his new deal is set to make him comfortably the oldest F1 driver of the modern era.

    Michael Schumacher was 43 when he retired for a second time in 2012, while Kimi Raikkonen was a year younger when he walked away from the sport in 2021.

    “I love driving too much that I cannot stop at the moment,” added Alonso. “I breathe Formula One, I live Formula One, and I train and eat to drive Formula One cars.

    “The moment hasn’t arrived that I need to change my lifestyle. I will not be happy sitting at home and watching Formula One races because I still feel I should be there.

    “If one day I feel I am not motivated, or I am not in good shape, or I am not fast and sharp, I will be the first one to raise my hand and we will find a solution with Aston Martin.

    “But I don’t see that coming for the next few years. Japan (on Sunday) was one of my best races ever, and that happened five days ago. Lewis will also be 40 in January, so at least I will not be the only one next year who is over 40.”

    Alonso took the last of his two world titles in 2006, and has not won a race in more than a decade.

    But the former Ferrari and McLaren man is still considered as one of the brightest stars of the F1 field.

    Last year, in his first season at Aston Martin, he helped to transform the British team from also-rans to frontrunners. He took eight podiums and finished fourth in the championship.

    Although Aston Martin have not been able to maintain that form, there is hope that the next major regulation change in 2026, which will see them partner with Honda – the Japanese manufacturer that has powered Red Bull to its recent successes – will allow Alonso to compete at the sharp end of the grid once more.

    Alonso continued: “We have achieved so many highs here in such a short space of time. It is probably unprecedented in Formula One.

    “This is only the beginning of the journey, so it could not be the end for me and Aston Martin.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.