Max Verstappen urges fans to show him respect ahead of feisty Mexican Grand Prix

By Sports Desk October 27, 2023

Max Verstappen has told the boo brigade to show him some respect as the triple world champion prepares to enter the lion’s den at Sunday’s Mexican Grand Prix.

Verstappen has beefed up his security for Red Bull team-mate Sergio Perez’s home race at the high-altitude Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez venue in Mexico City.

Verstappen, who was jeered by Perez’s supporters a week ago in Austin, Texas, is prepared for another hostile reception this weekend – and he will be flanked by multiple security guards in the paddock.

Organisers of the event – which is set to attract a crowd of nearly 400,000 over the three days – have appealed to fans for tolerance by launching the #Racepect initiative. Verstappen was jeered by Perez’s travelling fans in Miami earlier this year, while Lewis Hamilton was also booed here last year.

“The hashtag doesn’t need to suit me,” said Verstappen. “It needs to suit the behaviour of the people and it is good to raise awareness because the behaviour of the crowd at some places can be better.

“In Austin, it was against me. Supporting your favourite driver is fine, but you also have to respect the competition.

“It is not only in Formula One, but is a general problem in a lot of sports that needs to be looked at and needs to be improved.”

Perez’s fans remain unhappy Verstappen did not help the Mexican secure second place in last season’s championship after he ignored a team order at the penultimate round in Brazil.

Perez has won only twice this season – his last victory in Azerbaijan on April 30 – with Verstappen racing to his third title in as many years.

But the Dutchman added: “The rivalry with Sergio is made up. We get on really well. As a driver you try to be first or faster, but we have a lot of respect for each other and we appreciate each other’s performances.

“For me, I feel very safe. I have had a great reception so far, and it is good to be back.”

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner and motorsport advisor Dr Helmut Marko will also be accompanied by security guards. Last month, Marko, 80, referred to Perez’s background when discussing his driver’s inconsistent form.

He said: “Let’s remember that he (Perez) is South American and so he is not as focused as Max Verstappen or Sebastian Vettel was.”

Marko apologised for the remarks, but Hamilton believes Perez deserves greater support from within Red Bull.

The seven-time world champion said: “As a driver, I understand the psychological and mental pressures weigh so heavily on you. It is difficult to put into words.

“Sergio has carried himself really well, but I don’t think his team has been massively supportive – one spokesperson in particular has not been really great in helping him.

“If I heard (Mercedes team principal) Toto (Wolff) talking negatively about me it would be tough. It is a difficult environment for him, but he has dealt with it to the best of his ability.”

Related items

  • Toto Wolff calls for transparency in Red Bull’s Christian Horner investigation Toto Wolff calls for transparency in Red Bull’s Christian Horner investigation

    Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has called for Red Bull’s investigation into Christian Horner to be transparent – and said the controversy is “an issue for all of Formula One”.

    Horner is under investigation by the racing team’s parent company Red Bull GmbH following a claim of “inappropriate behaviour” by a female colleague.

    The 50-year-old emphatically denies the accusation and remains in his role as Red Bull team principal.

    He is in Bahrain for this week’s three-day test ahead of the opening race, also in the Gulf Kingdom, on March 2.

    And Horner has stated it is his intention to be in his post for the start of the new campaign.

    “It is clear,” Wolff said when asked to address the allegations during the lunch interval on the first day of testing.

    “Formula One and the teams stand for inclusion, equality, fairness and diversity, and that is not only about talking about it, but living it day in, day out. These are just standards we set ourselves.

    “We are a global sport and one of the most important sport platforms in the world and role models, too.

    “But having said that, there is a lot of speculation that has been happening over the past weeks, and lots of things that are going on.

    “What is important at that stage is for a process with rigour. I think what Red Bull has started as an independent investigation, if this is done in the right way, with transparency, that is something we need to look at.

    “What the outcomes are, what it means for Formula One, and how we can learn from that because we want to talk about racing cars, and we want to talk about the sport, rather than these very, very critical topics that are more than just a team issue.

    “It is phenomenon, and an issue for all of Formula One, and every individual that works out there.”

    Horner is due to be in the media spotlight at an F1 press conference alongside four other team principals on Thursday.

    Speaking at Red Bull’s car launch, last week, Horner said he was unable to provide a timeline as to when the investigation will be completed.

    It is understood both Red Bull and Horner are keen for a swift resolution, but sources have indicated that a conclusion is not imminent. F1 bosses have called for the controversy to be “clarified at the earliest opportunity”.

    Max Verstappen put Red Bull’s off-track troubles to one side by setting the pace in the opening session on Wednesday.

    The three-time world champion ended the running nearly seven tenths quicker than Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, with Aston Martin’s Fernando Alonso in third, eight tenths back, and the only other driver within one second of Verstappen.

    George Russell was sixth for Mercedes, 1.68 secs off the pace. Lewis Hamilton gets his first taste of the final Mercedes he will drive on Thursday ahead of his blockbuster switch to Ferrari next year.

  • 'Teach' McFarlane makes history with electric victory in Barbados Autocross Championship 'Teach' McFarlane makes history with electric victory in Barbados Autocross Championship

    In a groundbreaking moment for Caribbean motorsport, Jamaican race driver Chris 'Teach' McFarlane clinched victory in Round 1 of the 2024 Barbados National Autocross Championship at Bushy Park, steering an all-electric MG MG4 XPower.

    The seismic shift came as the Barbados-domiciled ‘Teach’, known for his six consecutive Barbados championships in gas-powered machines, showcased the potential of electric racing, outperforming traditional rivals with a stock 430-hp electric SUV. The win signals a paradigm shift in the region's racing scene, challenging the status quo and setting the stage for a new era in Caribbean motorsports.

    The competition, traditionally dominated by roaring petrol engines, witnessed Teach navigating the challenging autocross course in the stock 430-horsepower electric SUV. The crowd at Bushy Park was treated to the silent yet powerful hum of the MG as ‘Teach’ smoothly maneuvered the course without the aid of a handbrake, showcasing his adaptability and skill in embracing cutting-edge technology.

    The victory challenges the established dominance of internal combustion engines, introducing the potential of electric vehicles to the forefront of racing in the region.

    Further north, the Jamaica Millennium Motoring Club (JMMC) extended its congratulations to Teach McFarlane for this groundbreaking achievement.

    The next autocross in the championship series scheduled for April 14th.

  • Red Bull’s Max Verstappen fastest in opening F1 Bahrain testing session Red Bull’s Max Verstappen fastest in opening F1 Bahrain testing session

    Max Verstappen put Red Bull’s off-track troubles to one side by setting the pace in the opening testing session in Bahrain.

    Red Bull’s preparations for the new campaign have been overshadowed by allegations of “inappropriate behaviour” against team principal Christian Horner.

    Horner, who is in Bahrain for this week’s three-day test ahead of the opening round, also in the Gulf kingdom, on March 2, emphatically denies the accusations made by a female colleague.

    Verstappen won 19 of the 22 races last season as he wrapped up his third world championship, and the Dutch driver laid down an early marker by topping the time charts in his heavily revised Red Bull.

    The 26-year-old ended the running nearly seven tenths quicker than Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, with Aston Martin’s Fernando Alonso in third, eight tenths back, and the only other driver within one second of Verstappen.

    McLaren’s Oscar Piastri finished fourth, while George Russell was sixth for Mercedes, 1.68 secs off the pace.

    Lewis Hamilton gets his first taste of the last Mercedes he will drive on Thursday ahead of his blockbuster switch to Ferrari next year.

    Although headline times in testing have to be treated with a degree of caution – as the teams trial different fuel loads and tyre compounds – Verstappen appeared settled in the machine he hopes will carry him to a fourth consecutive title.

    His lap count of 65 was more than a race distance in Bahrain. Alonso (77 laps) managed the most miles of the 10 drivers on track.

    During a relatively trouble-free first session for the majority of the field, Alex Albon broke down in his Williams following a reliability failure with 20 minutes remaining.

    The final four hours of the opening day begins at 1500 local time (1200GMT).

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.