Red Bull announce Ricciardo return for 2023

By Sports Desk November 23, 2022

Red Bull have announced the return of Daniel Ricciardo, who will be their third driver for the 2023 season.

The Australian left the grid following his exit from McLaren, where he completed his final race in Abu Dhabi last Sunday, and it was widely expected that he would be returning to Red Bull, who he left in 2018.

Ricciardo had a stint with Renault before moving to McLaren, with spells at both teams being disappointing ones, and it was announced earlier this year he would be leaving the latter – Oscar Piastri being his replacement on the grid.

The 33-year-old did not turn his back on Formula One, however, and could return to the grid with a full-time seat in the future, though previously stated he felt the best approach could be as a reserve driver.

That move has now come with Red Bull, where he will be an understudy to Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez in 2023 – filling in should either of the pair be unable to race, as well as competing in practice sessions.

"The smile says it all, I'm truly excited to be coming back home to Oracle Red Bull Racing as their Third Driver in 2023," Ricciardo said.

"I already have so many fond memories of my time here, but the welcome from Christian [Horner], Dr [Helmut] Marko and the entire team is something I'm sincerely appreciative of.

"For me personally, the ability to contribute to and be surrounded by the best team in F1 is hugely appealing, whilst also giving me some time to recharge and refocus.

"I can't wait to be with the team and support with simulator work, testing sessions and commercial activities. Let’s go!"

The 2023 Formula One season will begin on March 5 in Bahrain, the start of a record-breaking 24 races across the course of the campaign.

Related items

  • Rookie Sargeant 'super motivated' after Williams launch new FW45 challenger car Rookie Sargeant 'super motivated' after Williams launch new FW45 challenger car

    Rookie driver Logan Sargeant is "super motivated" to grasp his first Formula One opportunity in Williams' new FW45 challenger car.

    Sargeant is gearing up for his maiden F1 season after replacing the axed Nicholas Latifi.

    The 22-year-old American was fast-tracked to become Alex Albon's team-mate.

    Williams finished bottom of the constructor standings with only eight points in 2022, but will start a new era with a rookie driver and team principal in the form of Sargeant and James Vowles.

    The team on Monday unveiled the matte livery that will adorn their FW45 challenger, with Mercedes providing the power for a 10th consecutive season, and Sargeant is raring to go.

    He said: "I'm really excited for the season to get started after what, for me, feels like a long winter!

    "I'm super motivated and we've put a lot of hard work in. The car is looking amazing and it shows the huge effort the team has put in the off-season, so I'm looking forward to getting started at Silverstone before heading out to Bahrain."

    Albon said: "The team has worked really hard last year and over the winter to address some key areas in our car, putting in the work to try and maximise what we get out of the car for 2023, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the FW45 can do."

    Vowles will begin his new role on February 20, three days before the drivers begin 2023 pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit.

  • Fast-rising Fraser McConnell wins his third RallyCross top qualifier event in Calgary Fast-rising Fraser McConnell wins his third RallyCross top qualifier event in Calgary

    Fraser McConnell continues to enhance his reputation as an elite RallyCross driver when he won his second qualifying event at Stampede Park in Calgary on Saturday.

  • Verstappen expects Hamilton title challenge 'if he has the car to do it' Verstappen expects Hamilton title challenge 'if he has the car to do it'

    Formula One world champion Max Verstappen expects Lewis Hamilton to challenge him for the title next year "if he has the car to do it".

    Hamilton, a seven-time drivers' championship winner, was blighted by car issues with Mercedes last season as he failed to win a race for the first time in his career.

    Red Bull star Verstappen tallied a record-breaking 15 wins to finish 146 points ahead of closest rival Charles Leclerc in a dominant title-winning 2022 campaign.

    But the Dutchman does not envisage a third straight F1 crown coming with such relative ease in 2023.

    "He's been one of the greatest drivers ever in the sport, so for sure if he has the car to do it, he can fight for the title again," Verstappen told Sky Sports of Hamilton.

    He added: "But that's the same for George [Russell], it's the same for Charles, it's the same for Lando [Norris] – if you give them the car that's capable of winning the championship, they can.

    "But it's also about when you have the car then the pressure comes you cannot afford big mistakes.

    "That's a bit of a different pressure you have but I'm confident once these guys get onto a roll like that it is all possible, they all have talent to do so."

    Red Bull cruised to the constructors' championship last year, winning the title for the first time since 2013.

    However, the team have been hit with wind tunnel testing restrictions and CFD limitations after they were judged to have breached financial regulations.

    The full impact of those punishments is unclear but a reduction in time allowed in the wind tunnel could lead Red Bull to fall behind their rivals in aerodynamic developments.

    "You always try to go for it, but I don't know if we're going to be good enough," Verstappen added.

    "Of course as a team we believe we are, we are very motivated, we come off the back of a very strong year and we are working flat out to try and achieve that."

    Ford will return to F1 this year for the first time since 2004 and partner with Red Bull from 2026.

    Verstappen cannot wait for the partnership after seeing success in a collaboration with Honda, having also witnessed first-hand the struggles with the Renault combination.

    "I signed twice without actually fully knowing what was coming in terms of engines, and people said maybe that's a crazy thing to do," he continued.

    "I believed in the project and I believed that everyone involved would make the right decisions for the team.

    "The first one they made going with Honda, I think that worked out really well and now for the future this is the next step – Ford in 2026 – and I believe in it.

    "If we all believe in it, I'm sure we can create something really cool."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.