Manchester City have completed the signing of Portugal international full-back Joao Cancelo from Juventus in a deal that sees Danilo move in the opposite direction.

Cancelo, 25, has signed a six-year contract at the Etihad Stadium after just a single season at Juve.

After spending the 2017-18 season on loan at Inter from Valencia, Juve made a move and brought Cancelo to Turin for €40.4million.

He enjoyed a fine season as the Old Lady won the Serie A title, producing a number of high-quality performances on the right flank, with his dribbling and driving runs into the attacking third catching the eye.

"City are a fantastic club, with a brilliant manager and I am delighted to be here," Cancelo told City's website. "Everything about them has impressed me, from the facilities, to their style of play.

"I am always looking to develop my game and win trophies and I believe I can do that here, so now I'm really looking forward to the new season and testing myself in the Premier League."

City had been linked with a move for him for much of the transfer window, apparently having had an offer rejected earlier in the close season.

New Juve coach Maurizio Sarri was said to have approved the sale of Cancelo even before he took over from Massimiliano Allegri in June.

Cancelo will compete with Kyle Walker for the right-back spot, unless the latter is used in a central role, while he can also offer cover on the left.

Danilo, meanwhile, moves in the other direction, having only featured 34 times in the Premier League during his two seasons at the English club. Juventus revealed the total deal was worth €65m (£60m), having paid €37m (£34.1m) to bring in the Brazilian defender.

Laurent Koscielny has succeeded in securing a move away from Arsenal, joining Ligue 1 side Bordeaux for a reported €5million (£4.6m).

Former France international Koscielny has ended a nine-season stay in the Premier League by returning to the French top flight.

"We decided to sanction his move to Bordeaux once we agreed acceptable transfer terms," the Gunners said in a statement.

"We thank Laurent for his contribution to the club and wish him all the best for the future."

The 33-year-old plunged his Arsenal future into doubt in July when the club confirmed he had refused to travel on their pre-season tour of the United States.

Koscielny featured 17 times in the Premier League last term, despite missing the first few months due to a ruptured Achilles tendon.

The Gunners signed the centre-back from Lorient in 2010 and he has been one of few consistent performers for the club in that time.

After filling in as captain regularly from the 2015-16 campaign onwards, Koscielny took the armband on a full-time basis at the start of last term following the retirement of Per Mertesacker.

Koscielny's departure will likely bring further concern from supporters about their underwhelming defensive options, with Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Nacho Monreal, Rob Holding and the much-maligned Shkodran Mustafi their most recognisable central defenders unless new signings arrive before Thursday's deadline.

He will provide much-needed defensive reinforcement for Bordeaux, who saw first-choice centre-back Jules Kounde move to Sevilla earlier in the transfer window.

Laurent Koscielny has succeeded in securing a move away from Arsenal, joining Ligue 1 side Bordeaux for a reported €5million (£4.6m).

Wayne Rooney is "sure" to sign with Derby County but will not take up his player-coach role until January, said the club's owner.

An agreement is set to be finalised on Tuesday after former England captain Rooney flew into London from the United States, where he is contracted to DC United.

The 33-year-old still has over two years left to run on his deal at Audi Field and will see out the remainder of the MLS season before joining up with Phillip Cocu's squad for the second half of their Championship campaign.

"He wants to finish the season there and of course it's pivotal to them that they're in [contention for] the play-offs at the moment," Rams owner Mel Morris told Sky Sports.

"He was wanting to make sure he saw the season out. He'll join us in January if we can get the deal done."

Morris added: "I'm hoping it's really close. Obviously, we'd love to get it over the line, we're working hard towards that. I'm sure we'll get it done today."

Derby opened talks with Rooney after learning the ex-Everton and Manchester United forward wanted to return to England.

"It stemmed from a conversation between Phillip Cocu and Wayne which was pivotal to this thing," Morris said.

"I think for Wayne [it was important] to come and work with a manager he holds in high esteem and obviously for Phillip the opportunity to get a world-class player and somebody he can have on the field to help bring on the youngsters.

"Wayne is coming here to play for the club but he's also wanting to accelerate his coaching badges.

"A key thing for him in terms of his long-term career ambitions is to become a manager.

"I think the time we had with Frank [Lampard] was great in terms of demonstrating that willingness to give people time, to work with them, to help them develop. I think Wayne sees us as a good place to come and do that."

Morris denied Rooney's arrival at Pride Park would negatively impact the club's Financial Fair Play standing, claiming the "great commercial opportunity" could instead have the opposite effect.

Derby County are "confident" of completing a deal to sign ex-England captain Wayne Rooney on Tuesday, according to club owner Mel Morris.

Rooney, 33, is set to make a surprise return to English football in what is expected to be a player-coach role in support of Rams boss Phillip Cocu.

According to reports, the former Everton and Manchester United forward could see out the MLS season at DC United before moving to Pride Park in January.

"It's never done until it's done but we're obviously focused and very keen to get it over the line this morning," Morris told talkSPORT.

James Anderson will miss the second Ashes Test against Australia due to a calf injury, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) confirmed.

After bowling four overs on day one at Edgbaston on Thursday, Anderson left the field due to feeling tightness in his right calf.

The 37-year-old seamer had a scan later in the day and despite batting in both of England's innings he did not feature again in the field, as Australia - inspired by Steve Smith - won by 251 runs.

England's all-time leading Test wicket-taker will now miss the second match of the series, which starts at Lord's on August 14, and will continue to be evaluated.

An ECB statement said: "[An] MRI confirmed that Anderson has suffered a calf injury. As a result of the injury, he will commence a rehabilitation programme working with the England and Lancashire medical teams.

 "He will be reassessed on an ongoing basis regarding his availability for the rest of the Ashes series."

World Cup winner Jofra Archer, who had also been struggling with a side strain in the build-up to the Edgbaston Test, looks set to be Anderson's replacement.

Archer has been named in a Sussex second XI squad to play against Gloucestershire this week and came on as a substitute fielder for England in Birmingham.

England also had concerns over the fitness of Chris Woakes during the first Test, with the Warwickshire bowler restricted to just 13 overs during Australia's second innings.

James Anderson will miss the second Ashes Test against Australia due to a calf injury, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) confirmed.

South Africa great Dale Steyn has announced his retirement from Test cricket with immediate effect.

The 36-year-old played 93 Tests for the Proteas, taking 439 wickets at an average of 22.95 to become his country's most potent bowler of all-time in cricket's longest format.

Steyn said he has taken the decision to prolong his career, with the paceman contracted to play white-ball cricket for South Africa for the 2019-2020 season.

"Today I walk away from a format of the game I love so much. In my opinion Test cricket is the best version of this game," he said via a Cricket South Africa news release.

"It tests you mentally, physically, emotionally. It's terrible to consider never playing another Test again but what's more terrifying is the thought of never playing again at all.

"So, I will be focusing on ODIs and T20s for the rest of my career to maximise my full potential and ensure my longevity in this sport.

"I'd like to thank everyone in cricket, no one specific, because everyone has been a part of my journey. And I look forward to continuing to play for the Proteas in the shorter formats."

Steyn etched his name into the record books by becoming South Africa's leading Test-wicket taker in December 2018 when he dismissed Fakhar Zaman to beat Shaun Pollock's previous best of 421.

He has 696 wickets across all formats for South Africa and took a career-best 7-51 against India in February 2010.

The retirement of Steyn places further strain on the Proteas' fast-bowling stocks, with the likes of Duanne Olivier, Kyle Abbott and Morne Morkel having turned their back on South Africa to sign Kolpak deals in the County Championship.Cricket.

South Africa chief executive Thabang Moroe paid tribute to Steyn.

"Dale is undoubtedly one of the all-time greats of cricket. From the time he made his Test debut against England in 2004 and dismissed their captain, Michael Vaughan, with a superb delivery, he has been one of the standout fast bowlers in world cricket," he said."

He has led the South African attack brilliantly and set the standard for our future generations to follow.

"More than that he has been a wonderful mentor to our next generation of speedsters.

"We were saddened to hear of his decision, but it is one that management has to accept, and we thank him for his significant contribution to the sport and to the nation and wish him everything of the very best for the future."

 

Harry Maguire says Manchester United have always been a club he has looked up to and has vowed to "give everything" for his new side.

The centre-back finally completed his move from Leicester City on Monday, signing a six-year deal with the option of a seventh after a reported fee of £80million was agreed between the clubs.

The England international is now the world's most expensive defender, having eclipsed the £75m Liverpool paid Southampton for Virgil van Dijk in January 2018.

Despite the expectations on his shoulders due to the exorbitant price tag, Maguire is desperate to get to work under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and realise a dream of stepping out at Old Trafford in a red shirt.

"It's a really proud moment to join such a big club," he told MUTV.

"You always dream of walking out at Wembley and Old Trafford - they're the two big stadiums when you're a young kid.

"It's an amazing club, a club I've always watched and looked up to when I was younger and now I'm part of it. The atmosphere and the stadium itself is just so unique and so special.

"Experience is a big thing - you play a lot of games as a young boy and you learn a lot of things, like I did in League One and moved up to the Championship. I felt like that really helped me.

"First and foremost, I see myself as a good defender, I'm in the team to stop goals and keep clean sheets.

"I'm a team player. I'll give everything I can for the team and everything I've got for this club."

Manager Solskjaer believes he has acquired one of the best players in his position in the world and sees him as a crucial new component of his side.

"Harry is one of the best centre-backs in the game today and I am delighted we have secured his signature," Solskjaer said. 

"He is a great reader of the game and has a strong presence on the pitch, with the ability to remain calm under pressure - coupled with his composure on the ball and a huge presence in both boxes - I can see he will fit well into this group both on and off the pitch.

"He has a great personality and is a fantastic addition to the club. I would like to welcome Harry to Manchester United and we are looking forward to working with him as we prepare for the new season."

Harry Maguire has become the most expensive defender of all time following the completion of a reported £80million move to Manchester United from Leicester City.

The England international underwent a medical on Sunday and signed a six-year contract with the option of a further season at Old Trafford after United and Leicester reached an agreement to end a long-running transfer saga.

While the fee has not been confirmed, media reports indicate it surpasses the £75m Liverpool paid Southampton to secure Virgil van Dijk's January 2018 arrival.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer moved to make Maguire his third signing of the close season following the additions of winger Daniel James and right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Swansea City and Crystal Palace respectively.

"I am delighted to have signed for this great club," Maguire said in a statement published by United.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Leicester and would like to thank everyone at the club, and the fans, for their fantastic support over the past two seasons. However, when Manchester United come knocking on your door, it is an incredible opportunity.

"From my conversations with the manager, I am excited about the vision and plans he has for the team. It's clear to see that Ole is building a team to win trophies.

"I am now looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and getting the season started."

Maguire rose to prominence at Hull City in the 2016-17 campaign, impressing despite the Tigers suffering relegation from the Premier League.

His form that season earned him a move to Leicester, who were said to have agreed a deal worth up to £17m for his services, and the defender played every minute as the club finished ninth in the Premier League in 2017-18.

The 26-year-old has since become a mainstay at international level for England, with his ease in possession seeing him fit in well with Gareth Southgate's style of play.

Those attributes seemed a good fit for Pep Guardiola's Manchester City and the champions were said to have shown interest before baulking at Leicester's asking price.

United will hope Maguire can solve a problem position at centre-back.

Jose Mourinho routinely hinted at his frustration with the options available to him before being sacked in December.

Victor Lindelof has developed into a dependable performer after a shaky start, but Eric Bailly is set to miss at least four months of 2019-20 due to a knee injury sustained in a pre-season friendly against Tottenham.

Marcos Rojo has rarely looked up to the required standard since a serious knee injury in 2017, while Chris Smalling and Phil Jones have failed to live up to their early promise.

Barcelona have agreed a deal to sign defender Junior Firpo from Real Betis for a fee potentially rising to €30million.

The Spain Under-21 international is set to ink a five-year contract at Camp Nou, which includes a buyout clause of €200m.

LaLiga champions Barca have paid €18m up front with a further €12m potentially due in add-ons.

While comfortable in multiple positions, 22-year-old Junior will primarily be expected to provide cover for Jordi Alba at left-back.

Ernersto Valverde reportedly considered Bayern Munich star David Alaba before deciding on Junior as a more cost-effective option.

He made 24 appearances in LaLiga last season and scored three times, including once in a 4-3 victory for Betis at Camp Nou in November.

"What I cannot deny is that it is an honour and a source of pride to be associated with Barcelona, ​​which is a great club and has a great team," Junior last month told Mundo Deportivo when asked about the possibility of a transfer.

Barcelona have agreed a deal to sign left-back Junior Firpo from Real Betis for a fee potentially rising to €30million.

Everton have confirmed the signing of highly rated Juventus teenager Moise Kean.

The Italy international has penned a five-year contract at Goodison Park and joins a club who finished eighth in the Premier League last season.

Kean, who has been capped three times by his country, scored six goals in 13 Serie A appearances for Juve last term.

The 19-year-old became the youngest goalscorer for Italy since 1958 when he netted for the Azzurri against Finland in March and Everton boss Marco Silva was delighted to have brought him to England for a reported fee of £36.6million.

Silva told evertontv: "A striker was one of our priority signings this summer.

"Moise is strong, fast, with many good qualities as a striker and he is just 19 years old. He has talent and he is ready to work, ready to improve our squad and gives us different solutions.

"Of course he was at a big club, now he’s come to another big club and is ready to fight for this challenge and to give everything to Everton Football Club."

Kean is Everton's fifth signing of the summer, following on from Andre Gomes, Fabian Delph, Jean-Philippe Gbamin and Jonas Lossl.

He said: "I am very proud and honoured to wear the Everton shirt. I will give my best to this team.

"I was convinced to sign because Everton is a club looking to the future and so am I. I know about the size of the club. It has big ambition and I will work very hard to help us fulfil what we want to achieve.

"I am used to winning and I want to bring this winning attitude to the team. I hope I will be very good on the field and bring the fans joy."

Everton have confirmed the capture of highly rated Juventus teenager Moise Kean.

The Italy international has signed a five-year contract at Goodison Park and joins a club who finished eighth in the Premier League last season.

Kean, who has been capped three times by his country, scored six goals in 13 Serie A appearances last term.

 

Leicester City and Manchester United have agreed a reported £80million deal for the transfer of defender Harry Maguire, Foxes manager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed.

Maguire, 26, has been the subject of transfer speculation since the 2018-19 campaign concluded, with United and Manchester City said to have been leading the race.

But with City reportedly ruling themselves out a while ago, United have had a clean run and look to have finally got their man despite Leicester holding out for a massive fee which is expected to see Maguire become the world's most expensive defender.

Speaking after Leicester's 2-1 friendly win over Atalanta, Rodgers confirmed an agreement has been reached between the clubs following negotiations.

Rodgers told Sky Sports: "Until it goes through - there's obviously been communications between the clubs - but there's still a bit to go in terms of medical and personal terms.

"It is what it is. He's a special player, not one we want to leave, but we'll see over the course of the weekend if there's anything more. At this point the clubs have agreed [a fee]."

Maguire joined Leicester from Hull City two years ago for a deal said to be worth £17m, meaning the club stand to make a profit of around £63m on the centre-back.

During his time at Leicester, Maguire has established himself as a regular in the England starting XI and emerged as one of the Premier League's best centre-backs, though Rodgers accepts the Foxes have got themselves a great deal.

"It's an incredible piece of business," he added. "If you look at market over the last few years, it changes.

"He's a top-class player, a good man. This is a guy who knows there's been interest, he's been super professional, been with his team-mates throughout.

"He's been a good guy. Individuals have their own goals and obviously all players, including Harry, have a valuation."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.