Manchester United confirm Antony capture as fifth Erik ten Hag signing

By Sports Desk September 01, 2022

Manchester United have confirmed the capture of Brazil international Antony from Ajax, with the Premier League club expected to pay an £81.3million (€95m) fee for the winger.

The Selecao star has been a long-term target of former boss Erik ten Hag following his move from the Eredivisie to Old Trafford, and now the 22-year-old will follow the Dutchman to rejoin him on a five-year deal.

The deal, which was struck earlier this week after Ajax turned down multiple offers from United, becomes the fifth major signing of the transfer window for the club.

"This is an incredible moment in my career to be joining one of the most iconic clubs in the world," Antony told United's official website.

"I'm thankful to everyone who has believed in me, especially my family, and all my coaches and team-mates, because I could not have got here without them.

"Playing under Erik ten Hag at Ajax was perfect for me and my development. His style of football brings out the best in me, and I am excited by what he has told me about his plans and ambitions in Manchester.

"My time at Ajax was fantastic and I will always be grateful for the trust they put in me, but now I am ready for the next challenge.

"I can't wait to join my new team-mates and play my part in bringing success to Manchester United."

Antony has 31 goals and 27 assists in 134 club appearances for Ajax and Sao Paulo, and was a two-time title winner with the former, as well as a gold medalist at Tokyo 2020 with the Brazil Olympic squad.

He joins former club-mate Lisandro Martinez and international team-mate Casemiro among the new faces at Old Trafford, with Christian Eriksen and Tyrell Malacia also signed under Ten Hag.

Following two opening league defeats, United have since responded with two victories, in which the Dutchman has benched both veteran forward Cristiano Ronaldo and captain Harry Maguire.

The former's future at the club remains up in the air after reported attempts to force an exit to play Champions League football this term, with Antony's arrival potentially paving the way for the forward to get his wish.

Related items

  • Dani Alves sentenced to four and a half years in prison for sexual assault Dani Alves sentenced to four and a half years in prison for sexual assault

    Former Brazil and Barcelona player Dani Alves has been sentenced to four years and six months in prison for sexual assault by a Spanish court.

    The 40-year-old former right-back was found guilty of assaulting a woman in a Barcelona nightclub on New Year’s Eve in 2022 and has been in custody since being arrested for the offence in January 2023.

    Alves, who must also pay his victim 150,000 euros (£128,000) in compensation and their court costs, has the right to appeal against his sentence.

    A statement from the Audiencia de Barcelona on Thursday read: “The Court of Barcelona has condemned footballer Dani Alves to four years and six months in prison for sexual assault.

    “The victim must also receive 150,000 euros and have their legal costs paid.

    “The sentence takes into consideration that it has been proven the victim did not consent and that there is evidence in addition to their testimony that proves the offence.”

  • Virgil van Dijk admits Liverpool overcompensated in absence of injured stars Virgil van Dijk admits Liverpool overcompensated in absence of injured stars

    Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk admits the team was probably guilty of trying too hard to compensate for the absence of a host of star players in the 4-1 victory over Luton.

    Forwards Darwin Nunez and Mohamed Salah were the latest added to an absentee list, which had grown to 11 senior players and left manager Jurgen Klopp short of options, certainly of match-winners, as his bench comprised three defenders and four academy players.

    The likes of Harvey Elliott and Cody Gakpo, and to a lesser extent Luis Diaz, all struggled up front in the first half, but four goals in an impressive second-half comeback after going behind in the 12th minute re-established a four-point advantage at the top of the Premier League.

    Klopp’s side have won now 22 points from losing positions this season, more than any other team.

    “First half with the very first chance (for Diaz) we could have changed the game, but we were a bit rushed in the final third,” said Van Dijk.

    “Obviously the way we turned it around was credit to the boys.

    “Staying calm is the most difficult thing to do, especially in the situation where we are at; everyone wants to show themselves and play their best game ever, and you have to try to stay calm and find the right solution.

    “The first half was a bit rushed and that’s why we struggled a little bit in that sense. Being 1-0 down is never nice, but the way we bounced back is good to see.”

    Elliott, on his 100th appearance, scored the team’s 100th goal of the season with the late fourth to end his night on a high after coming in for some vociferous criticism from the crowd.

    However, Klopp – who remonstrated with a fan who appeared to target Elliott after yet another pass went astray in the first half – defended the 20-year-old.

    “Top performance. And Harvey is a top player; 100 games for Liverpool FC in not the worst period of the club’s history, where you cannot afford players who (just) play the position, that’s a proper sign,” he added.

    “He had not a great first half. There was a pass with Lucho (Diaz); I saw he wants to play the pass instead of maybe he can go in a one-on-one situation.

    “But the reaction in the second half is the main difference, that’s the thing. That made this performance the performance and I’m so happy for him.

    “I don’t lose patience in these moments, I know that it’s a challenge for young boys.

    “When everything is great, they are super talents. When things don’t go well, you have to show up. And that’s what he’s learning more and more.

    “And with 100 games under his belt, we all know he will definitely play another 100, 200, 300 – if you ask him, 500 – for this club.”

  • Sarina Wiegman says England have ‘moved on’ from Olympic disappointment Sarina Wiegman says England have ‘moved on’ from Olympic disappointment

    England head coach Sarina Wiegman believes her side have “moved on” from the heartbreak of missing out on Olympic qualification.

    The Lionesses face Austria on Friday and Italy next Tuesday in a pair of friendlies which have replaced what they hoped would be Nations League semi-finals.

    A 6-0 thrashing of Scotland looked to have secured top spot in Group A1 in December, only for the Netherlands to score twice in added time against Belgium to pip England on goal difference and end Team GB’s hopes of qualifying for Paris 2024.

    “This is really the start of our Euros campaign and after the very disappointing result of not qualifying for the play-offs to qualify for the Olympics we moved on,” said Wiegman, whose side will bid to defend their European title in Switzerland next year.

    “This is the start, with two friendlies which is really good for us because we can try out some things.

    “We are also very close to the Under-23s [also training in Spain] so we can see them, we can connect with them and we get a lot of players that we can see where they are at this moment.

    “This is a great start because in April the Nations League starts which are the qualifiers for the Euros.”

    Euro 2022-winning captain Leah Williamson had been named in Wiegman’s squad for the first time since suffering an anterior cruciate ligament rupture, but the Arsenal defender withdrew with a hamstring injury on Sunday.

    Asked if club coaches had requested a limit on player minutes amid a three-way Women’s Super League title race and a spate of high-profile injuries, Wiegman said: “Not this time.

    “We are in contact with each other all the time, we update each other and of course we know how important the Women’s Super League is too but also the German League for Georgia [Stanway] and the Spanish league for the players who play in Spain at the moment.

    “Of course, we want to take care of the players but we want to do lots of things. We play to win but we also have the opportunity now to try out things and also manage minutes. With a busy calendar I think that’s something to be aware of.

    “The issue of injuries is a bigger picture and it’s about the load on the players. The calendar we talk about a lot, that we really have to address the calendar. I spoke up about that last week – we really ask FIFA and UEFA to change things.

    “But we are doing a job as good as possible with all the expertise we have in our team and staff. We have a programme and we monitor the players really well.

    “You’re in an environment where an injury can happen because it’s a physical sport, but if you can diminish the risk of injuries as much as possible, that’s also what we try to do.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.