BREAKING NEWS: Mesut Ozil announces retirement at age of 34 

By Sports Desk March 22, 2023

Former Arsenal and Real Madrid midfielder Mesut Ozil has announced his retirement from football at the age of 34.

The former Germany international, who earned 92 caps for his country, also represented Schalke, Werder Bremen, Fenerbahce and Istanbul Basaksehir during his 17-year career.

Ozil was under contract with Turkish side Basaksehir until the end of the season, but he has called time on his playing career due to a number of injury issues.

Related items

  • Kompany wants to see 'real winners come to life' at Bayern Kompany wants to see 'real winners come to life' at Bayern

    Vincent Kompany challenged Bayern Munich to bounce back from their 2023-24 disappointment, and wants to see which players are "most hungry to win again".

    The Belgian was named Bayern's new boss on a three-year deal, replacing the outgoing Thomas Tuchel following a trophyless campaign at the Allianz Arena.

    The Bavarian giants surrendered their 11-year grip on the Bundesliga title to Xabi Alonso's unbeaten Bayer Leverkusen, while Real Madrid defeated them in the Champions League semi-finals.

    Kompany knows what it takes to respond in the face of adversity, with Manchester City coming up just short against the likes of Manchester United in the Premier League in between the four titles he won during his time with the Citizens. 

    And he has urged his new squad to demonstrate that character and determination to get back in the winner's circle next season.

    "We're in a situation now where, last year, we lost," he told reporters during his introductory press conference. 

    "Having been in this position myself as well as a player, I know that this is when you react, this is where you see real winners come to life.

    "I'm actually excited to start pre-season with them. I make no distinction; I just want to see which players are most hungry to represent this club next season and win again, and be successful.

    Kompany's appointment earlier this week was widely reported as a surprise one, after he was unable to keep Burnley in the Premier League in 2023-24.

    However, the 38-year-old insists he has already settled into his new surroundings.

    "My mentality is that I never haven't ever worked for a top club in my head," he added. 

    "A top club is the environment you create. It's the mentality you have towards your job in good and bad times, that's what defines working at the top level. It already feels like home."

  • Martino rejects claims Messi saving himself for Copa America after Inter Miami defeat Martino rejects claims Messi saving himself for Copa America after Inter Miami defeat

    Gerardo Martino refused to comment on suggestions that Lionel Messi was saving himself for the Copa America, following Inter Miami's 3-1 defeat by Atlanta United.

    Despite his 11th goal of the season - and first in three games - Messi was unable to prevent a first loss in 11 MLS matches for the Eastern Conference leaders at Chase Stadium.

    Saba Lobjanidze scored in each half to put 12th-place Atlanta in control and, though Messi halved the deficit, Jamal Thiare struck in the 73rd minute to snap the visitors' nine-game winless streak.

    Messi, who was back in the starting line-up after missing Miami's 2-1 victory over Vancouver Whitecaps last time out, will soon link up with Argentina ahead of their Copa America title defence, which starts in a couple of weeks' time.

    Martino was asked whether he thought the eight-time Ballon d'Or winner's focus was distracted by the forthcoming tournament in the United States, where the reigning world champions will seek their third silverware in four years.

    "No, I will not speculate if Messi is saving himself for Copa America because [that question has] no validity," the head coach said.

    On Miami's performance, he continued: "The first feeling is that we were missing one more gear compared to Atlanta, and that was evident in the first half and during the second half. 

    "It was a night where the team regressed compared to other games. I think we were very well outmatched, and they beat us well.

    "The conditions were favourable, much more for us than them. But their position on the table is deceiving, and they showed that."

  • 'It hurts to see my players cry' - Italiano rues Fiorentina's Europa Conference League final heartbreak 'It hurts to see my players cry' - Italiano rues Fiorentina's Europa Conference League final heartbreak

    Vincenzo Italiano says Fiorentina "really believed we could have a different ending", after La Viola suffered Europa Conference League final heartbreak for the second year running.

    Italiano's side were beaten by West Ham in last year's showpiece, with Jarrod Bowen snatching a last-gasp winner in Prague.

    Fiorentina suffered a similar fate 12 months later, as Ayoub El Kaabi struck four minutes before the end of extra time to give Olympiacos their first title in a major European competition.

    La Viola embarked on a club record 13-match unbeaten run to reach their second successive Europa Conference League final.

    But Italiano, who will depart the club at the end of the season, admitted it counted for nothing, with his side once again left to wonder what might have been.

    "We really believed this time. It hurts," he told Sky Sports Italia. "It's disappointing for the second time.

    "It's disappointing because again we had many situations to score goals, but the players did everything they could. It hurts to see my players cry. We really believed this time we could have a different epilogue to this campaign.

    "Losing hurts; going all the way for two years running is something good, but naturally you have to lift a trophy, and we didn't manage it.

    "The journey feels ruined when you have to watch the others lift the silverware. At this moment, I feel too bitter, disappointed, let down, because I really believed we could have a different ending."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.