BREAKING NEWS: Manchester United confirm Antony capture as fifth Erik ten Hag signing

By Sports Desk September 01, 2022

Manchester United have confirmed the capture of Brazil international Antony from Ajax, with the Premier League club expected to pay an £81.3million (€95m) fee for the winger.

The Selecao star has been a long-term target of former boss Erik ten Hag following his move from the Eredivisie to Old Trafford, and now the 22-year-old will follow the Dutchman to rejoin him on a five-year deal.

The deal, which was struck earlier this week after Ajax turned down multiple offers from United, becomes the fifth major signing of the transfer window for the club.

"This is an incredible moment in my career to be joining one of the most iconic clubs in the world," Antony told United's official website.

"I'm thankful to everyone who has believed in me, especially my family, and all my coaches and team-mates, because I could not have got here without them.

"Playing under Erik ten Hag at Ajax was perfect for me and my development. His style of football brings out the best in me, and I am excited by what he has told me about his plans and ambitions in Manchester.

"My time at Ajax was fantastic and I will always be grateful for the trust they put in me, but now I am ready for the next challenge.

"I can't wait to join my new team-mates and play my part in bringing success to Manchester United."

Antony has 31 goals and 27 assists in 134 club appearances for Ajax and Sao Paulo, and was a two-time title winner with the former, as well as a gold medalist at Tokyo 2020 with the Brazil Olympic squad.

He joins former club-mate Lisandro Martinez and international team-mate Casemiro among the new faces at Old Trafford, with Christian Eriksen and Tyrell Malacia also signed under Ten Hag.

Following two opening league defeats, United have since responded with two victories, in which the Dutchman has benched both veteran forward Cristiano Ronaldo and captain Harry Maguire.

The former's future at the club remains up in the air after reported attempts to force an exit to play Champions League football this term, with Antony's arrival potentially paving the way for the forward to get his wish.

Related items

  • David De Gea says Manchester United are ready for one more ‘special’ battle David De Gea says Manchester United are ready for one more ‘special’ battle

    Manchester United have fought for success all year and David De Gea says they are ready for one more “special” battle against Manchester City in the FA Cup final.

    Erik ten Hag’s first season in charge has been one of progress and, for the most part, positivity, with the side finishing third in the Premier League and sealing a Champions League return.

    The Dutchman is only the second manager in United’s history to win a major trophy in his first season and has the chance to add to February’s Carabao Cup triumph this weekend.

    Ten Hag’s Red Devils head to Wembley for the first all-Manchester FA Cup final, when they will attempt to add to their cabinet and stop rivals City’s attempts to win the treble.

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Manchester United (@manchesterunited)

    “We have to recover well and start to prepare for the game,” De Gea said. “Of course, we know it’s a big final, a special game.

    “We’ve been the whole year fighting to be in that position to win titles and we will try absolutely everything to try to win.”

    De Gea and his team-mates were all in at Carrington on Monday morning, with Sunday’s starters focused on recovery from the 2-1 comeback win against Fulham at a bouncing Old Trafford.

    Kenny Tete had put the visitors ahead in the Premier League season finale and Marco Silva’s men would have extended their lead had Golden Glove winner De Gea not stopped Aleksandar Mitrovic’s spot-kick.

    United kicked on after that, with Jadon Sancho and Bruno Fernandes completing a victory that saw them beat Newcastle to third spot.

    “We concede the first goal from a corner and then I think five minutes after we concede a penalty,” De Gea, whose contract has yet to be extended beyond the summer, said.

    “I was very positive. I was feeling like ‘come on, you have to save this penalty, we have to finish properly the season at home, we have to win’.

    “Then I make the save, everyone was happy, enjoying and I helped the team to win the three points today.

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Manchester United (@manchesterunited)

    “The manager wants us to be focused every game, winning every game. Before the game he was shouting before ‘come on guys, we have to finish properly, winning mentality’.

    “So, yeah, we showed it again. 1-0 down, suffering a bit, but then we create chances and could have scored even more than two.

    “But, like I say, a big way to finish the season with a victory and (it) gives a bit of enjoyment to the fans.”

    The result saw United equal the club’s record of 27 home wins in all competitions in a single campaign, while also meaning they finished 17 points better off than last season.

    “100 per cent, for sure, the improvement is there,” De Gea told MUTV. “Of course we still have a gap to improve but, yeah, a massive improvement from last season.

    “Winning a cup, finish third – it’s never easy to finish in the Champions League places in England.

    “And then we have another final, a big final, so I think at the moment it is a great year.”

    As for Fulham, the defeat at Old Trafford was frustrating but this was a season to cherish having finished 10th on their return to the top-flight.

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Fulham Football Club (@fulhamfc)

    Goalscoring right-back Tete said: “Unbelievable season, every single player.

    “If you saw how we fought all season for every single point. Not even one game was easy for us.

    “I am just proud of the boys. We said it as well to each other and this is something we have to build on.

    “We know now what our standard is, we know now what we can bring. I can’t wait for next season.”

  • Steve Clarke aware Norway have ‘a lot of good players’ as well as Erling Haaland Steve Clarke aware Norway have ‘a lot of good players’ as well as Erling Haaland

    Steve Clarke insisted there is more to Norway than Erling Haaland after naming his squad for the resumption of Scotland’s European Championship qualification campaign in Oslo.

    The Scots, who began their Euro 2024 qualifiers in March with impressive home wins over Cyprus and Spain, travel to Norway for their June 17 clash before hosting Georgia at Hampden Park three days later.

    Clarke’s side face the daunting task, in the first match of the double-header, of trying to stop 22-year-old Manchester City striker Haaland, who has scored a staggering 58 goals in all competitions so far this season.

    Speaking in Glasgow’s George Square at the McDonald’s Fun Football Festival, which is part of the Scottish Football Association’s week of football, he said: “There are a lot of good players in the Norway side that we have to deal with as well as Haaland, who has obviously had an outstanding season.

    “He is a top quality player. We need to make sure we are organised and make sure we play well and don’t make too many mistakes.

    “We respect everybody, we respect our opponents all the time and we will give Norway and Georgia our full attention.”

    Asked if he was wary of the focus being too much on Haaland, he replied: “I am wary of the fact that you are going to go down the line of Haaland, Haaland, Haaland.

    “There are lots of other players that we need to deal with as well.”

    Rangers centre-back John Souttar is one player who could be asked to shackle the Norway goal machine.

    The 26-year-old, who returned to the Rangers side at the back end of the season after missing much of the campaign through injury, has not played for the national team since last summer’s Nations League defeat in Ireland.

    Souttar takes the place of Norwich centre-back Grant Hanley, who has been sidelined with an Achilles problem since early April.

    Clarke said: “When you lose players of the quality of Grant Hanley, whom we have lost for a considerable period of time, which is unfortunate for Grant, it is nice to have someone like John come back into the squad and hopefully he can show the form that he showed before any time I picked him for his country.”

    Hearts striker Lawrence Shankland and his Hibernian forward Kevin Nisbet have been included in place of Stoke’s Jacob Brown, who missed the end of the Championship season with a hamstring issue, and Southampton’s Che Adams, who recently suffered a recurrence of the ankle injury he sustained in Scotland’s win over Cyprus.

    Shankland, who previously made four appearances between October 2019 and November 2020, was recalled for the Spain game in March and has kept his place at the end of a campaign in which he has scored 28 goals for Hearts.

    Nisbet, who won all of his 10 caps in 2021, is included for the first time since damaging his anterior cruciate ligament in February 2022. The 26-year-old has scored 12 goals for Hibs since returning to action in December.

    Asked about the absence of Adams, Clarke said: “It is always disappointing when you lose key players, but you tend to get used to it.

    “You normally name a squad and you lose key players all the time so, disappointing for Che, disappointing end to the season getting relegated with his club.

    “He tried to come back and probably aggravated his injury trying to help his club so disappointing for Che but a chance for Kevin Nisbet to come back into the squad.

    “Kevin is a goalscorer, we know the qualities he brings us. He has been in the squad before.

    “Lawrence is in the squad, same qualities, he can score goals and don’t forget we have Lyndon (Dykes) as well.

    “I thought he was really good in the game against Spain. We have enough quality up front.”

    Clarke is looking to build on the fine start to the campaign which has brought six points from six.

    He said: “When you are playing in a five-team group, eight games to qualify, every game is important.

    “Every point that we can get over the summer is going to help us to the ultimate target, which is to qualify for Germany.”

  • Roberto De Zerbi says Brighton must build stronger squad for European challenge Roberto De Zerbi says Brighton must build stronger squad for European challenge

    Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi admits the Seagulls will need to spend ahead of their European debut.

    They have qualified for the Europa League for the first time in their history after finishing sixth in the Premier League.

    Brighton had already wrapped up sixth spot before Sunday’s final day 2-1 defeat at Aston Villa and De Zerbi knows they will need to expand their squad to cope with the demands of European competition.

    “We are not ready to play three games in a row, three games per week. We are not used to playing three games in a row,” he said.

    “We have to work in the transfer market, we have to build a stronger squad, with more players and then we have to improve.

    “The result we achieved this year was incredible, Tony (Bloom), me and Paul Barber, we have the dream to improve this result.

    “The season is finished which is bad news for me – it’s difficult without football. I will go to Italy and will work with Tony Bloom and the club to improve the squad.

    “This season was fantastic and we have to try and repeat it.”

    Deniz Undav’s goal was not enough to rescue a point after Brighton fell 2-0 down inside 30 minutes at Villa following strikes from Douglas Luiz and Ollie Watkins.

    Victory earned Villa seventh in the Premier League and a Europa Conference League play-off spot, returning to Europe for the first time in 13 years.

    Boss Unai Emery said: “It’s important because we’re going to be one step ahead in our objective to be in Europe. To play in the Conference League is very important.

    “We’re adding the possibility of another trophy because it’s very difficult in the Premier League, FA Cup and Carabao Cup. Our objective and ambitions will be to try and always be a candidate to get a trophy.

    “To play in Europe for the club and the coaches, because I was playing 15 years in a row in Europe, so to get that again next year is fantastic for me individually and I’m very happy playing in Europe.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.