Kostic excited to play with Serbia team-mate Vlahovic at Juventus

By Sports Desk August 12, 2022

Filip Kostic has expressed his excitement at the prospect of linking up with fellow Serbia international Dusan Vlahovic after joining the striker at Juventus.

Having played a key role in Eintracht Frankfurt's Europa League triumph last season, Kostic finalised a €16million move to the Bianconeri on Friday, ending a four-year spell with the Bundesliga outfit.

Kostic is already familiar with Vlahovic, having teamed up with him on a regular basis on the international stage, and the 29-year-old's creative abilities will likely be received well by the Juve striker. 

Vlahovic scored 29 goals in all competitions last season – including nine for Juve following his January transfer from rivals Fiorentina. He averaged a strike every 182 minutes after joining the Turin giants, converting 58.33 per cent of his big chances.

And those numbers will likely improve with Kostic providing service from the left, after he created 112 chances for Eintracht last campaign – almost double the highest tally managed by any of his team-mates.

 

Speaking to Juve's media channels after completing his transfer, Kostic revealed he had already been in touch with his compatriot, explaining: "I've already talked to Dusan, I'm happy that he's part of the team. 

"He's one of the best strikers, it's nice to play with him."

As well as scoring seven goals for Eintracht last term, Kostic teed up 13 for team-mates, and represents an exciting signing for a side that struggled for attacking inspiration under Massimiliano Allegri throughout 2021-22.

Asked whether the Bianconeri's supporters could expect the assists to continue to flow, the dynamic wing-back said: "I like to play like that, then it depends on what the manager wants and what is best for the team. If it's good for the team, I'll do it best.

"It's a special day for me. I am very happy, it is not very difficult to say 'yes' to Juventus.

"I gave everything and I worked hard for it. I think I deserve Juventus. When a club like this arrives, it's always the right time."

Related items

  • Del Piero open to helping Juventus as Italian giants look for new chairman and board Del Piero open to helping Juventus as Italian giants look for new chairman and board

    Alessandro Del Piero is open to helping Juventus as the Serie A giants begin their search for a chairman to replace Andrea Agnelli and an entire new board.

    Juve announced after an emergency meeting on Monday that Agnelli, vice-president Pavel Nedved and managing director Maurizio Arrivabene have all quit their roles.

    It comes amid an investigation into alleged tax fraud, which Juventus have denied, and on the back of the club registering a record loss of €254.3million for 2021-22. 

    Exor, who have a controlling stake in Juve, indicated on Tuesday that Gianluca Ferrero is in line to replace Agnelli as president.

    Any decision over who succeeds Agnelli, Nedved and Arrivabene is expected to be made at a shareholders' meeting on January 18.

    In what is another difficult period for the Turin side off the pitch, club legend Del Piero has indicated he is ready to aid Juve in any way possible – just as he did as a player.

    “You're asking the question to someone like me that spent almost 20 years there," Del Piero, who spent nine years with the Bianconeri, told beIN SPORTS. 

    "I got relegated with the team and I decided to stay so the relationships with me and the team, with the owners, the fans, are quite deep, very deep.

    "We've been through everything to reach the top of the world and the bottom point in the club's entire history. This great journey brought me here with you. 

    "It's something where every news regarding Juve is emotional for me and I'm going to stand by and see what's going to happen. 

    "I was with them this summer for the tour they did in Los Angeles where I lived, and also in Lisbon. I'm friends with Pavel and everybody. It's sad for me seeing this situation."
      
    Del Piero added: "I don't know the plan; nobody has called me. I don't know what's going to happen, but I know very well all that's happened. I still have a house in the city..."

    Juve were stripped of titles and relegated to Serie B in the 2006-07 campaign over the 'Calciopoli' scandal, but Del Piero does not expect any such punishments this time around.

    "This is not regarding the team; it's not going to affect the team in terms of relegation or other things," he said. 

    "It's going to affect the people because it's allegations ongoing about the people, not only the president but the other board members. This will affect them if there's proof."

  • Rumour Has It: Chelsea on verge of finalising £52m Nkunku deal after reaching Leipzig agreement Rumour Has It: Chelsea on verge of finalising £52m Nkunku deal after reaching Leipzig agreement

    Christopher Nkunku has long been inked with Chelsea, with reports he had undergone a medical in September.

    The 25-year-old Frenchman netted 20 goals in the Bundesliga last season and already has 12 this term.

    The Blues are undergoing a period of change under owner Todd Boehly and new head coach Graham Potter – and could be about to land a big-name target.

     

    TOP STORY - NKUNKU'S CHELSEA DEAL SET TO BE SIGNED

    Chelsea are on the cusp of finalising the deal for RB Leipzig forward Nkunku with contracts set to be signed, reports Fabrizio Romano.

    The Blues have reached an agreement with Nkunku's German club Leipzig for more than £52million (€60m).

    Nkunku, who was ruled out of the World Cup earlier this month due to a knee injury, will apparently pen a long-term deal starting from June 2023.

    ROUND-UP

    - ESPN has reported that  Lionel Messi has not agreed to a deal to join Inter Miami from Paris Saint-Germain following reports that he is on the verge of a deal with the Major League Soccer club.

    Chelsea are reportedly not willing to let Christian Pulisic depart on loan in January, amid links with Premier League trio Manchester United, Newcastle United and Arsenal. The Blues would prefer a permanent deal for the United States international.

    - Sky Sport's Florian Plettenberg claims RB Leipzig's Konrad Laimer has reached a verbal agreement to join Bayern Munich at the end of this season, with a view to a long-term deal until 2027.

    Edin Dzeko is set to earn a new one-year deal with Inter, according to Gazzetta. But the 36-year-old must accept a pay cut, from about €5.5m to €3m per season (plus bonuses).

    - Ecuador international midfielder Moises Caicedo, who is currently on Brighton and Hove Albion's books, is drawing interest from Manchester United, claims Sky Germany.

    - Fabrizio Romano reports Brighton are in talks with Molde to sign 19-year-old Ivorian striker David Datro Fofana. The Norwegian club want more than €10m (£8.6m) for him.

  • Saturday defends decision not to use timeouts earlier in narrow Colts loss Saturday defends decision not to use timeouts earlier in narrow Colts loss

    Indianapolis Colts interim coach Jeff Saturday defended the decision not to use any of their three timeouts earlier in Monday's 24-17 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

    Saturday, who never coached at the pro or college level prior to his shock appointment by owner Jim Irsay earlier this month, led the Colts for the third time in the narrow defeat, slipping to a 1-2 record.

    But Saturday only used the Colts' first timeout on fourth down with 30 seconds remaining before quarterback Matt Ryan threw an incomplete pass to the left sideline for Parris Campbell on fourth-and-3.

    Ryan had scrambled for a run on the second-and-17 of the final drive but dived short of the first-down line, yet the Colts played quickly on third-and-3 with running back Jonathan Taylor bottled up before the timeout was called.

    "I thought we had plenty of time," Saturday told reporters. "We had plenty of timeouts, so I wasn't too concerned.

    "This wasn't a press for time, we just didn't make enough plays."

    Ryan, who admitted he thought he was closer to the first-down line on his run, backed Saturday's decision not to call an earlier timeout.

    "I don’t mind the call going with some tempo, trying to get that first and probably bang a timeout after that first," he said.

    "We didn’t get it, then have to take that timeout on the fourth down call. Credit to them, they did a good job on jumping inside, we had some in-breaking routes.

    "It's disappointing. It really is, I think the effort is good, but our execution just hasn’t been good enough."

    Ryan was pressured on 44 per cent of dropbacks, which was the highest in a game this season.

    The win means the Colts are 4-7-1 overall and second in the AFC South behind the 7-4 Tennessee Titans.

    The Steelers improved to 4-7 but remain last in the AFC North. Rookie Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett enjoyed his third straight game without a turnover, completing 20 of 28 passes for 174 yards.

    "He's getting better every week, he's a competitor, he's smart but there's still a lot of meat on the bone," Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said about Pickett.

    "I've always said he's good enough and we're good enough to win while that happens. We acknowledge he's very much in development."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.