EPL

Ashworth set for Newcastle role after quitting Brighton

By Sports Desk February 07, 2022

Dan Ashworth has resigned as Brighton and Hove Albion technical director to join another Premier League club – widely thought to be Newcastle United.

Ashworth held talks with Newcastle previously as the club's new owners seek to appoint a director of football, with a chief executive set to follow.

"In line with his contractual terms, Ashworth will now begin an extended period of gardening leave, after which he will be able to take up a new position elsewhere," a Brighton statement detailing his departure read.

David Weir, Ashworth's assistant, has replaced him as acting technical director, with Brighton saying the handover would be completed "later this week".

Ashworth was the FA's director of elite development for six years up until 2018, playing a key role in the improved fortunes of the England team. He then joined Brighton the following year.

Brighton chairman Tony Bloom said: "We are extremely disappointed that Dan will no longer be our technical director. He leaves a significant legacy in place and for that we are greatly appreciative.

"Dan's done an outstanding job and helped build on the progress the club had already made across all of our technical areas. I wish Dan and his family well for the future."

Newcastle signed defender Dan Burn from Brighton at the start of last week and reports suggest Ashworth was offered the new job at St James' Park on Friday.

His imminent appointment comes as a boost to the relegation-threatened side, who face a huge game against Everton on Tuesday.

Coach Eddie Howe has revealed a return date for injured top scorer Callum Wilson remains "unclear", with the hope being he can "play a big part at the end of the season". March was initially suggested as a target for the striker.

Burn is a doubt for the Everton match, while Howe said he was yet to make a decision on Bruno Guimaraes, the £35million signing who joined over the weekend following international duty with Brazil.

Related items

  • Haaland will adapt to Premier League life, says Man City's De Bruyne Haaland will adapt to Premier League life, says Man City's De Bruyne

    Kevin De Bruyne feels Erling Haaland must continue to adapt to the Premier League with Manchester City, while hailing the forward's efforts against Bournemouth on Saturday.

    The Norway international teed up an opening assist for Ilkay Gundogan in a 4-0 victory at the Etihad Stadium, but otherwise struggled to influence proceedings.

    Even as De Bruyne and Phil Foden added further goals, Haaland cut a peripheral figure for the hosts, and ultimately had just eight touches throughout the entire match.

    De Bruyne still feels that the Leeds-born attacker is bedding into life in a different league, however, pointing to the differences between the English top flight and the Bundesliga, where Haaland has arrived from.

    "He played really well," the Belgian said. "Obviously, it's so tight. I don't think in Germany, he played a lot of games where teams were so defensively narrow, so it is something he will have to adapt to.

    "With Gundogan, he finds him perfectly, and he set us up for the win. If he plays that way, he will be good."

  • Jesus 'just wanted to play' after scintillating home bow for Arsenal Jesus 'just wanted to play' after scintillating home bow for Arsenal

    Gabriel Jesus merely wanted an opportunity for regular football as he sought a move away from Manchester City to Arsenal.

    Jesus opened his account for his new club in style on Saturday, scoring twice in a 4-2 victory over Leicester City.

    The Brazil forward, who cost Arsenal a reported £45million in July, also assisted his side's other two goals.

    He finished with statistics of seven shots, with three on target, and three chances created.

    Jesus moved on from the champions in search of guaranteed game time, and he will no doubt get that at Arsenal should this form continue.

    "A lot, a lot," Jesus told Premier League productions when asked how much he was enjoying his role at Arsenal.

    "I was not unhappy at City, I just wanted to play and the club understood, and the manager.

    "Sometimes players want to play, I’m the same. Here I come, train every day, with Eddie [Nketiah], who has a lot of quality and confidence to play as well. I think Arsenal have two good strikers."

    Jesus also detailed his frustration at missing some gilt-edged chances – including an open goal late on – to net a hat-trick.

    "Of course, for sure! I work all day every day to score goals, to help [the team]," he said when asked if he was disappointed not to get a third, referring to a brilliant chance he engineered for himself late in the second half after taking down Aaron Ramsdale's pass, only for Wilfred Ndidi to intervene.

    "The ball from Aaron, I did well, and then I got to shoot, but the defender came back quick, and after I had another chance to score, so I am a little bit sad because of this. 

    "But I'm so happy, not just because of the goals but the way the team has played. In difficult moments, we conceded two goals, but we played well and tried always to score."

    Jesus became the 12th different Brazilian player to score a Premier League goal for Arsenal, while he is the first player to score more than once on his home debut for the club in the competition.

    With two assists as well, he was the first Arsenal player to both score and assist two or more goals in a Premier League game since Theo Walcott against Newcastle United in December 2012 (three goals, two assists).

  • Spalletti confirms Simeone deal close as Napoli begin 'new cycle' Spalletti confirms Simeone deal close as Napoli begin 'new cycle'

    Napoli are closing in on the signing of Verona striker Giovanni Simeone as Luciano Spalletti said the Serie A club are beginning a "new cycle" following a host of big-name exits.

    Spalletti's team threatened a first Scudetto since the Diego Maradona era before tailing off to finish third last season, but have since seen the likes of Kalidou Koulibaly, Dries Mertens and Lorenzo Insigne depart.

    Reports have suggested Napoli will combat the losses of Mertens and Insigne – the top two goalscorers in the club's history – by bringing in Verona striker Simeone on an initial loan deal.

    Simeone – the son of Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone – scored 17 Serie A goals last season, a tally bettered only by Ciro Immobile (27), Dusan Vlahovic (24) and Lautaro Martinez (21).

    The Argentine averaged a goal every 157 minutes throughout the campaign, converting 55 per cent of his big chances.

    Ahead of Napoli travelling to Verona for their Serie A opener on Monday, Spalletti revealed the striker's arrival was imminent as he pledged to rebuild the Partenopei's side.

    "If everything is okay, of course he will come, we are waiting for him, if you stay, say hello to him too!" Spalletti said amid reports Simeone was undergoing a medical with Napoli.

    "He is one we need and Naples is what he needs, it is a correct purchase.

    "We will do our best right away, and that I am convinced that we will make the fans fall in love again, as happened last year.

    "Now we are talking about a Napoli that no longer sees in their ranks the most important players, and there is talk of players for a new cycle.

    "It's a responsibility that stimulates me a lot. Of course, a little support from the city and society is needed, the most difficult things are those of the changing room dynamics.

    "They changed without [Faouzi] Ghoulam, [David] Ospina, Mertens and Insigne. In addition to the game dynamics there are those of character, and we have to recreate those there. I'm not afraid of anything." 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.