SPL

Celtic CEO Lawwell 'extremely shaken' after explosion and fire at home

By Sports Desk May 19, 2021

Celtic CEO Peter Lawwell and his family are safe but "extremely shaken and shocked" after an explosion and fire at his home on Wednesday.

Lawwell, who will retire from his role at the club after 17 years next month, escaped unharmed after the incident in Glasgow, which Celtic described as "terrible".

But major damage was done to his property and cars in the immediate area, with eight fire engines required to respond as the blaze spread rapidly.

Police Scotland confirmed there had been an explosion and they are investigating the cause after reports a petrol bomb was involved.

A Celtic spokesperson said: "We can confirm that significant damage has been caused to Peter Lawwell's house and vehicles there, following an explosion and fire early this morning, forcing the family to leave the property.

"Clearly, Peter's family are extremely shaken and shocked by these terrible events, but thankfully all are safe.

"We understand that Police Scotland are currently undertaking a criminal investigation.

"Peter and his family will of course receive the full support and care of everyone at the club."

A widely reported statement from Police Scotland confirmed the investigation.

It read: "Around 1am on Wednesday 19 May, officers were called to a report of vehicles on fire outside a house on Peel Road, Thorntonhall.

"No one was injured and officers are currently working with the Scottish fire and rescue service to establish the cause of the fire."

Related items

  • Hojlund form gives Man Utd 'luxury problem' for FA Cup final, says Ten Hag Hojlund form gives Man Utd 'luxury problem' for FA Cup final, says Ten Hag

    Rasmus Hojlund's return to form presents a "luxury problem" for Manchester United ahead of this weekend's FA Cup final against Manchester City, says Erik ten Hag.

    Hojlund came off the bench to score United's second goal as they rounded off their Premier League campaign with a 2-0 win over Brighton and Hove Albion on Sunday, having also netted in last week's 3-2 victory over Newcastle United.

    He finished his debut Premier League season with 10 goals, becoming the youngest player to reach double figures in 2023-24 (21 years, 105 days old as of Sunday).

    Hojlund has battled injury problems and dips in form throughout the campaign, and in his absence, Ten Hag has often opted to deploy Bruno Fernandes as a false nine.

    The Portugal international started United's last two matches in that position, and Ten Hag says he has plenty to think about as he prepares to name his cup final lineup.

    "It is not a dilemma, it is a luxury problem," Ten Hag said.

    "I think both formations can be a success because, as you know, we can play with the set-up from the Etihad, where we were a threat with Bruno's movement in behind.

    "With Rasmus Hojlund in behind and in form, it is absolutely something we have to consider. 

    "Let's have a thought, but let's not say we only need 11 players. In a tough final, you need a bench as well."

    Hojlund failed to score in his first 15 Premier League matches before ending his drought against Aston Villa on Boxing Day, though he did score five times in United's unsuccessful Champions League campaign before Christmas.

    He has 16 goals across all competitions this term, which Ten Hag sees as a good effort when taking his fitness problems into account. 

    "It could always be better, but don't forget he had three injuries this season," Ten Hag said.

    "He came in with an injury and missed the start, then he got injured before winter, and then got another injury after winter. 

    "Every time that has broken his rhythm. If you score 16 goals for a first season, it is okay, and remember it is also not over. We have the final too."

  • Onana willing to take Man Utd criticism 'bullets' Onana willing to take Man Utd criticism 'bullets'

    Andre Onana says he is willing to take criticism "bullets" after a poor Premier League campaign for Manchester United.

    The Red Devils recorded their lowest-ever finish in eighth place, with the manager and players coming under scrutiny for some of their performances.

    One of those singled out was Onana, who joined United from Inter at the start of the season, after an error-strewn start to his life at the club.

    Asked how he deals with the criticism coming from fans, pundits, and former players, Onana said it does not bother him. 

    "For me, I don't pay attention to it. I have come into this team to take bullets because we are under construction – at the moment, we are not the best," he told the Overlap.

    "We have other teams who are doing better than us, and we have to be honest and recognise that. If things and when things are going wrong, don't go for the youngest player – I'm here to take it, Bruno [Fernandes], Casemiro and Harry [Maguire] are there, and we are used to it.

    "When it's people who were sitting where I'm sitting, who won everything, sometimes it's bizarre – we are in the same boat. We try to follow your thing and what you did. For me, I don't mind, but other people may be affected. For me, to be honest, it's just a part of the game."

    United conceded 84 goals in all competitions this season, their worst-ever tally in a single campaign.

    Erik ten Hag’s side also missed out on a European place due to their league finish but have another opportunity to get one if they beat Manchester City in the FA Cup final on Saturday.

    Onana is optimistic though as he views the season as a learning curve.

    "I'm happy because we have good people around us, especially at this club, who helped me so much," he added.

    "That's why I'm still smiling - because the first six months were difficult, but at the same time, it was a good moment to learn.

    "After playing the final of the Champions League and the final of the Europa League, you think you are the best – life gives you an opportunity to learn and says, 'You are never too big'.

    "You can have a good season, next year you have a bad season, but the year after an amazing season. The ups and downs and being here, you have to deal with them – especially being a goalkeeper."

  • Liverpool confirm Slot as Klopp's replacement Liverpool confirm Slot as Klopp's replacement

    Liverpool have confirmed Arne Slot will succeed Jurgen Klopp as their new head coach. 

    Klopp's glorious nine-year spell with the Reds came to an end on Sunday with a 2-0 victory over Wolves, after which the German sang Slot's name to the Anfield crowd.

    Slot had previously confirmed he would be taking over, and Liverpool have now formally announced the news.

    The Dutchman will officially take charge from June 1, subject to receiving a work permit.

    Slot leaves the Netherlands after three highly successful seasons with Feyenoord, during which he led them to the league title in 2023 and was named Eredivisie Manager of the Year on two occasions.

    More recently, he led the Rotterdam giants to KNVB Cup glory in April, overseeing a 1-0 win over NEC Nijmegen in the final of that competition.

    Feyenoord rounded off their Eredivisie campaign with a 4-0 victory over neighbours Excelsior on Sunday, as they finished second, seven points adrift of runaway champions PSV.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.