SPL

Rangers hammer Aberdeen to seal 'invincibles' status

By Sports Desk May 15, 2021

Rangers ended their triumphant Scottish Premiership season undefeated thanks to a thumping 4-0 win over Aberdeen.

A Joe Lewis own goal put Steven Gerrard's champions ahead at Ibrox, with a Kemar Roofe double and an effort from veteran striker Jermain Defoe completing a dominant victory that took the Glasgow giants up to 102 points.

Gerrard's side emphatically halted Celtic's bid for 10 consecutive top-flight crowns and, in going an entire campaign unbeaten, they matched the exploits of Brendan Rodgers' Bhoys in 2016-17.

Rangers' 55th Scottish title overall has proved to be a record-setting affair, with a miserly 13 goals conceded – one fewer that the previous best by Celtic back in 1913-14.

Despite Aberdeen's spirited efforts after half-time, Allan McGregor was able to keep a clean sheet – the Gers' 26th shutout this term to match Celtic's 107-year-old record.

Victory also meant a perfect return of 19 wins from 19 at Ibrox in 2020-21. That matched the feat achieved by Martin O'Neill's Celtic, who eventually chalked up 26 in succession at Parkhead between 2002 and 2004.

"It's been a while since I've had the smell of champagne. It's been so long I'm actually enjoying it," a sodden Gerrard told Sky Sports during the post-match celebrations.

"I'm so proud of the boys and all the staff around it, but the main thing is the supporters. I was asked to come here at a difficult time, it had been even more difficult before that.

"I have to pay my respects to the people who got it to the point where I took over. After that it was about having a vision, getting the right people in the right places, the right support from the board and fighting for it.

"We've fought every day for the last three years to get to this point."

Celtic concluded an utterly wretched season, that brought about the sacking of manager Neil Lennon, with a 0-0 draw at Hibernian to finish 25 points shy of their bitter rivals.

Related items

  • Bernardo Silva: I went through many emotions from penalty miss to Wembley winner Bernardo Silva: I went through many emotions from penalty miss to Wembley winner

    Bernardo Silva admitted he had been through a range of emotions after bouncing back from his European penalty heartache with an FA Cup semi-final winner.

    The Portugal midfielder scored Manchester City’s late clincher as the holders ground out a hard-fought 1-0 win over Chelsea at Wembley on Saturday to book a return to the final.

    It came less than three days after he had badly fluffed his lines with a poor spot-kick as City were agonisingly knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid in a draining encounter on Wednesday.

    Silva released a lot of emotion in a vigorous celebration after his 84th-minute strike and he revealed that was culmination of a lot of factors.

    He said: “After a very frustrating week for all of us it’s good to get back on the winning side and qualify for another final and another chance to win a trophy. We’re happy.

    “Wednesday was a frustrating night for me. It was tough. First night, I didn’t sleep much. Second night, you sleep a bit better, the third night you sleep almost the whole night.

    “It is what it is. It’s football, it’s our profession and we have to deal with those emotions.

    “The way this team reacts is always really good. Once again we showed character and that no matter what happens, we stick together and go for it.”

    Silva – one of two City players to miss in the shootout loss along with Mateo Kovacic – was embarrassed as he chipped tamely into the hands of Real goalkeeper Andriy Lunin from the spot.

    He said that he had seen Lunin move early for the previous penalty, taken by Julian Alvarez, and felt striking down the middle would be a good idea.

    Silva said: “I was waiting, I wanted to be the second or the third penalty to see the reaction from the keeper in the first or the first two penalties.

    “And he moved early, that’s why I thought the middle was good because in moments of pressure the keepers, 99 per cent of the time, they move. But he chose not to move and fair play to him, well done.”

    Silva denied a theory that the delay to his penalty, caused by the ball needing to be retrieved from the crowd, had affected him mentally.

    He said: “For me, no. My decision was made. I was going shoot the penalty in the middle.”

    City showed the resolve of champions to hang in and edge out Chelsea, who dominated the tie at Wembley.

    The Londoners were left to rue wasting a host of chances, with misfiring striker Nicolas Jackson the prime culprit. They were also frustrated not to be awarded a penalty after a Cole Palmer free-kick struck the arm of Jack Grealish.

    Veteran defender Thiago Silva said: “I think it’s laughable. I don’t like to talk about the referees, especially after a defeat as it looks like an excuse, but I believe VAR could have sent the ref to the monitor.

    “If he goes to the monitor and decides not to give a pen, I’m fine with it, but go and see it.”

    Silva, 39, is out of contract at the end of the season and promised to reveal his future plans soon.

    The Brazilian said: “You are going to know in the coming days. I don’t want to say anything now after a defeat, I’m sad about the result, but sooner or later the news will come out.

    “I do have a decision made in my mind, but it’s not the moment to share it.”

  • Man City match-winner Bernardo Silva: FA ‘don’t care’ about players’ wellbeing Man City match-winner Bernardo Silva: FA ‘don’t care’ about players’ wellbeing

    Match-winner Bernardo Silva has accused the Football Association of not caring about the wellbeing of players over the scheduling of Manchester City’s FA Cup semi-final.

    Silva scored the late clincher as a weary-looking City ground out a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Chelsea at Wembley on Saturday to book a second-successive final appearance.

    Yet – after the game – manager Pep Guardiola hit out at the decision to make City play less than three days after they were taken to a penalty shootout in their draining Champions League quarter-final loss to Real Madrid.

    He contrasted this to the preparation time afforded to Sunday’s semi-finalists Manchester United and Coventry, neither of whom had midweek fixtures, and branded the situation “unacceptable”.

    Those sentiments were echoed by Silva, who felt City had been treated unfairly.

    The Portuguese said: “We didn’t play on a level field because the FA didn’t give us a chance to recover, which in my opinion is not reasonable at all.

    “I’m saying this because we won. If we didn’t win, I wouldn’t say it because I don’t like to find excuses, but I don’t think it’s acceptable we had to play (on Saturday).

    “It’s too much. We played 120 minutes less than three days (prior) and we had to play against a team that didn’t travel because they’re from London.

    “And they had five days waiting for us and thinking about our game. There’s no excuse for the game to not be Sunday. It’s not acceptable. For all of us as a team, that’s how we feel.

    “It looks like they don’t care because we’ve said it many times. It’s not about wanting to be favourites, it’s about health.”

    Silva feels there could be greater consideration given to the impact of European competitions on players when domestic fixtures are scheduled.

    He said: “I wasn’t fine at all. I’ll be honest, I was feeling my left hamstring and my right calf. This is not fair for Man City, for us.

    “I say Man City – maybe other clubs went through it. This is just our personal experience.

    “They have to pay more attention to these details. We represent England in these European competitions and it’s important for England, for this country, for other clubs to qualify for the Champions League, Europa League, Conference League. So they need to pay more attention.”

    The FA has not commented directly but its position on such matters is that the needs of the clubs, local authorities, police and broadcasters all need to be considered and balanced. It schedules all ties collaboratively.

    In this case, the matter is also complicated by Chelsea having a rearranged Premier League game against Arsenal next Tuesday.

  • Tottenham confirm Destiny Udogie’s season is over Tottenham confirm Destiny Udogie’s season is over

    Tottenham have confirmed left-back Destiny Udogie will miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on his left thigh.

    Udogie has flourished in his first campaign in the Premier League and made 30 appearances in all competitions for Spurs.

    The Italian defender has caught the eye with his ventures into midfield under Ange Postecoglou but he revealed on Saturday night his 2023-24 campaign was over.

    Spurs said in a statement on their website: “We can confirm that Destiny Udogie has undergone surgery to his left quadriceps, having sustained an injury in training earlier this week.

    “The defender will continue his rehabilitation with our medical staff and is expected to rejoin the squad during pre-season.”

    News of Udogie’s injury is untimely for a Tottenham team who lost 4-0 at Newcastle last weekend. Spurs lost ground in the battle for Champions League qualification as a result and are currently three points behind fourth-placed Aston Villa.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.