EPL

Moyes: Rice would blow British transfer record out of the water

By Sports Desk February 04, 2023

Declan Rice will set a British record fee if he leaves West Ham at the end of the season, David Moyes believes.

The Hammers captain has long been linked with a move across London to Chelsea, while Arsenal have reportedly made the England international their prime target ahead of next season.

Chelsea recently set a new British transfer record with the deadline day captain of Enzo Fernandez, splashing a reported £107million on the Argentina World Cup winner, but Moyes does not expect that record to stand for long.

In fact, he believes a deal for Rice would not only surpass that figure but would "blow it out of the water".

"Undoubtedly Declan is going to be a top player. He'll be a British transfer record if he ever leaves West Ham," he told the BBC following West Ham's 1-1 draw against Newcastle United.

"There's a lot of talk about it and when you see what's going about for the prices, I think Dec will be blowing that out of the water, that's for sure, when it comes around."

Asked whether he felt an exit for Rice was inevitable, Moyes added: "I hope it's not. I hope he sees his time here."

Rice has 18 months remaining on his contract at the London Stadium, meaning a sale would be required next season to avoid losing him on a free transfer in 2024.

Related items

  • Bayern Munich always favourites against Borussia Dortmund, claims Goretzka Bayern Munich always favourites against Borussia Dortmund, claims Goretzka

    Bayern Munich will always be favourites to beat Borussia Dortmund, with Leon Goretzka suggesting no team can face Die Roten at Allianz Arena and have the upper hand.

    The two teams meet in their first game back from the international break in what could be the most decisive encounter of the Bundesliga title race this season.

    Dortmund hold a one-point lead over their rivals, who dismissed coach Julian Nagelsmann and replaced him with former Black and Yellow boss Thomas Tuchel last week.

    Speaking ahead of the crunch clash though, Goretzka insisted the visitors' advantage in the league table means nothing when they go to Allianz Arena, given the hosts' pedigree.

    "We are ready," he told SportBILD. "We want the 11th championship in a row. To quote Kylian Mbappe, we are always favourites.

    "When we play at home, there isn't a team we don't go into the game against as favourites. I think [the pressure] is great.

    "I really enjoy these games. As a player, you don't want to be part of the team that can break this series [and miss out on another title win]."

    Nagelsmann's departure, despite guiding Bayern to the title last term and the Champions League quarter-finals this year, is a gamble for the Bavarian giants.

    But in Tuchel, they have a former Champions League-winning coach from his time at Chelsea, and Goretzka hopes he can help retain their Bundesliga crown.

    "We all know and appreciate his successes," he added. "[We] have great respect for his achievements and experience."

  • Luis Enrique keen on Premier League job but Spurs move unlikely Luis Enrique keen on Premier League job but Spurs move unlikely

    Former Spain and Barcelona coach Luis Enrique wants to work in England but has seemingly ruled out replacing Antonio Conte at Tottenham.

    Luis Enrique parted ways with Spain after the 2022 World Cup, which saw La Roja knocked out by Morocco at the last-16 stage.

    He was replaced by Luis de la Fuente, who stepped up from the Under-21s, leaving Luis Enrique back on the market.

    Links to high-profile jobs have been frequent ever since, but the club he appears to have been associated with the most is Spurs, who dismissed Conte on Sunday after a week of intense speculation suggesting his time was over.

    While Luis Enrique was not directly asked about Spurs during his first major interview of the year, he did express a desire to work in the Premier League.

    But the fact he does not expect to be working in England even as early as July suggests the Spurs job would be a non-starter.

    "I would like to go to England to work," he told Radio SER Gijon.

    "But I don't see myself in the Premier League in July because I would like to go to a team there that can do important things, and that is very difficult.

    "I would not go to [just] any Premier League team."

    The 52-year-old has also been among the big names linked with the Brazil job, which Tite vacated following the Selecao's unsuccessful Qatar 2022 campaign.

    Luis Enrique confirmed he has received offers from national teams – Brazil not being one of them – but he seems less interested in returning to the international stage.

    "I don't see myself coaching Brazil," he continued. "Another coach profile fits in there better than mine.

    "They haven't called me. I don't know if my style fits the best with Brazil.

    "I have had offers from national teams, but not from clubs. It would have to be a very important [national] team to take it, although it would be very difficult for me to face Spain. I don't know if I would be ready."

  • De Ligt: Nagelsmann sacking 'hard to swallow' De Ligt: Nagelsmann sacking 'hard to swallow'

    Bayern Munich defender Matthijs de Ligt was surprised by the club's decision to part company with head coach Julian Nagelsmann and says it has been "hard to swallow".

    German heavyweights Bayern officially called time on Nagelsmann's 20-month reign on Friday and swiftly appointed Thomas Tuchel as his successor.

    Nagelsmann won the Bundesliga in his only full season in Bavaria, but Bayern find themselves a point behind Borussia Dortmund with 25 games of this campaign played.

    Bayern face leaders Dortmund in a huge clash on Saturday, while they also have DFB-Pokal and Champions League quarter-final ties to play in April.

    And with the club still in the hunt for a treble, De Ligt – who has been away on international duty with the Netherlands – did not see Nagelsmann's sacking coming.

    "I was surprised," he told Dutch TV broadcaster NOS. "We're second in the league and in the quarter-finals of the cups. We're still playing for everything.

    "Those in charge decide who the coach is, but it was a difficult decision that is hard to swallow. But I also believe that Tuchel is a coach who suits us."

    According to a report in the German media, certain Bayern players turned against Nagelsmann and effectively forced him out of the Allianz Arena.

    But De Ligt, who has played 31 times since arriving at Bayern from Juventus at the start of the season, refuted those suggestions.

    "Oh, the German media. That says it all," he said. "I had a good relationship with him and his team.

    "I sent him a message and thanked him for everything he taught me.

    "He really wanted me here at the club and was very important to me. 

    "Thanks in part to him, I have taken important steps in my development over the past few months."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.