Manchester United 3-0 Bournemouth: Casemiro, Shaw and Rashford on target in routine win

By Sports Desk January 03, 2023

Manchester United strengthened their grip on a spot in the Premier League's top four as Marcus Rashford continued his fine run in a 3-0 win over Bournemouth.

Having scored the winner from the bench at Wolves on Saturday, Rashford returned to the starting line-up at Old Trafford and capped a dominant United performance with a late tap-in.

United had earlier taken the lead when Casemiro hammered Christian Eriksen's excellent left-wing free-kick home before Luke Shaw doubled their advantage with a neat finish. 

Victory moved Erik ten Hag's side five points clear of fifth-placed Tottenham and level with Newcastle United, who drew against leaders Arsenal.

United took advantage of a set piece to go ahead 23 minutes in – Casemiro volleying Eriksen's delivery into the top-left corner.

Lloyd Kelly's last-ditch tackle denied Rashford while Eriksen saw another free-kick deflect over as Bournemouth avoided further damage before the break.

Bournemouth's luck ran out within four minutes of the restart as Shaw swept home a cut-back from Alejandro Garnacho, who had replaced the injured Donny van de Beek.

Anthony Martial nodded Casemiro's whipped delivery wide at the far post, though David de Gea was called upon to make strong saves to keep out Philip Billing and Jaidon Anthony at the other end.

Garnacho clipped the outside of the post with a fine curling effort but United had their third when Rashford turned Bruno Fernandes' cut-back home following an outstanding pass from Shaw.

Related items

  • Birmingham get back to winning ways with comfortable victory over Huddersfield Birmingham get back to winning ways with comfortable victory over Huddersfield

    Birmingham put a terrible September behind them by starting October with a commanding 4-1 victory over Huddersfield.

    After a positive start to the season, John Eustace’s men collected just two of 15 points last month, scoring only two goals and losing three times.

    However, they were never in danger against the Terriers and produced a convincing display thanks to a double from Siriki Dembele and further goals from Koji Miyoshi and Jordan James.

    Blues offered a statement of intent after just 30 seconds when Krystian Bielik swung a 20-yard shot wide of the upright.

    The hosts did not have to wait long for a breakthrough and it was handed to them by Huddersfield goalkeeper Lee Nicholls.

    The impressive Ivan Sunjic rolled a third-minute pass into Dembele’s feet and the winger moved infield and sent a well-struck drive straight at Nicholls, who could only parry the ball into the corner of his net.

    Blues goalkeeper John Ruddy did better with a dipping long-ranger from Delano Burgzorg three minutes later, which he tipped over the crossbar.

    The hosts’ lead was doubled in the 23rd minute. Dembele escaped Ben Jackson down the left and his low cross reached Cody Drameh on the opposite side.

    The Leeds loanee curled an inviting pass to the back post where Miyoshi slid in and directed the ball into the roof of the net.

    Town’s Ben Wiles tested Ruddy from just outside the area shortly afterwards, but Juninho Bacuna should have made it 3-0 on the half-hour but could only lift Jay Stansfield’s right-wing centre into Nicholls’ grateful arms.

    Huddersfield boss Darren Moore made three changes at the break and urged his team to press further up the pitch and to an extent it worked, with the home team’s attacks more limited.

    They did, however, start to open up the visitors as the second period wore on and just before the hour Manny Longelo released Dembele down the left and he worked his way into the penalty area to find Miyoshi, whose low shot was hacked away to safety by Tom Lees.

    The third goal came in the 64th minute when Bacuna instigated an attack with a cutting pass that put Miyoshi running at the last defender. The Japan international squared for Dembele as he steamed up in support and curled a first-time shot low to Nicholls’ left.

    The Terriers responded well as Tom Edwards hooked over from close range, Jack Rodoni’s drive was deflected wide and Josh Koroma just failed to add a meaningful touch to Matty Pearson’s knock-down.

    Michal Helik grabbed a consolation two minutes into added time when he rammed home Sorba Thomas’s left-wing cross from close in.

    Birmingham would have the last word, though, when James lashed in a piledriver from 25 yards in the fifth minute of stoppage time to restore the three-goal advantage.

  • Leaders Chesterfield continue fine form by beating Bromley Leaders Chesterfield continue fine form by beating Bromley

    National League leaders Chesterfield made it eight wins from nine games with a 2-0 home victory over Bromley.

    Chesterfield dominated but had to wait until 10 minutes after the restart to take the lead, Joe Quigley converting his fourth goal of the season from Branden Horton’s excellent cross.

    Tom Naylor headed home Jeff King’s corner after 75 minutes to double the Spireites’ lead, preserving their three-point lead over Barnet.

    Jude Arthurs went close for Bromley, who drop a place to fifth, with a first-half free-kick curled into the side netting.

  • Grimsby return to winning ways against Barrow Grimsby return to winning ways against Barrow

    Grimsby ended their three-match losing sequence in Sky Bet League Two with a 2-1 win against mid-table Barrow at Blundell Park.

    Danny Rose and Grimsby substitute Donovan Wilson settled the three points with goals in each half after Abo Eisa had missed a penalty. Sam Foley replied for Barrow, but it proved too little too late.

    Both sides pushed for an early opener and Grimsby might have taken the lead after five minutes when Rose nodded wide, before Dean Campbell blazed over for Barrow with his left foot at the other end.

    Eisa was felled in the penalty area in the 16th minute, but his spot-kick was saved by Barrow goalkeeper Paul Farman. Barrow went close through Gerard Garner, but it was the home side who took the lead shortly before the interval when Rose finished.

    Kian Spence and substitute Emile Acquah took aim for Barrow after the restart and Grimsby were indebted to goalkeeper Jake Eastwood for preserving their lead when he produced a stunning save to deny Garner from point-blank range.

    Wilson came off the bench to put Grimsby 2-0 up after 75 minutes, while there still was time for Foley to grab a late Barrow consolation.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.