EPL

Guardiola insists Man City will be 'perfect' even after he leaves

By Sports Desk October 02, 2022

Pep Guardiola believes Manchester City will continue to be "perfect" when he leaves the club.

The 51-year-old is in the final year of his current deal and has refused to be drawn on questions around his future beyond this season.

Guardiola has had a successful spell at City since arriving in 2016, winning four Premier League titles, four EFL Cups and an FA Cup.

Speaking to Sky Sports ahead of the derby against Manchester United on Sunday, the City boss said he is just focused on his immediate duties, but did say he has no concerns about the club's prospects even when he does finally depart.

"I would say my future is lunchtime because I'm starving. I didn't have breakfast," he initially joked.

"When I started to be a manager I think 'next month, next week' but for years [now] I think 'what a waste of energy' thinking what's going to happen next season.

"I want to enjoy the preparation for United, be part of another derby, try to beat them... three days later we have another Champions League game, we prepare for that one, this is my job.

"The moment happens with the club [when] we are going to decide but as I said in the press conference, if I stay here, perfect, if I don't stay here, the club will be perfect too because I know how strong they are and how good [their decisions are]."

Guardiola will go head-to-head against his former Bayern Munich colleague Erik ten Hag at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, with the Dutchman having coached the club's second team when Guardiola was in charge of the first team in Bavaria.

The former Barcelona head coach said he was happy to see people like Ten Hag and new Brighton and Hove Albion boss Roberto De Zerbi in the Premier League as he is a fan of their approaches.

"[When Ten Hag was at Ajax] what he has done speaks for itself," he said. "Of course, Ajax always demand so I think this approach, positivity... honestly I'm so happy that he's here in England.

"I like it when, for example, Roberto De Zerbi is now in Brighton, I like managers that have this spirit to be positive and it doesn't matter [who] the opponent [is], if you are stronger or weaker, 'I go and try to do my game'.

"When you have two teams, both have to adjust a little bit to the other one in a way, but [when you] say to your players 'be ourselves to do it', the football game is always nice."

Related items

  • 'Pray for the king' – Mbappe's message as concern grows over Pele health 'Pray for the king' – Mbappe's message as concern grows over Pele health

    Kylian Mbappe and Rivaldo sent messages of support to Brazil legend Pele as the health of the World Cup legend reportedly took a turn for the worse.

    Reports in Brazil said the 82-year-old has been moved to palliative care after a cancer battle.

    The three-time World Cup winner ranks highly among the greatest players of all time, and he underwent surgery to remove a tumour from his colon last year.

    There have been frequent hospital visits since, but reports have now claimed Pele is not responding to chemotherapy treatment and is instead receiving pain-relieving measures in an end-of-life care ward.

    France striker Mbappe, immersed in a World Cup campaign with Les Bleus in Qatar, wrote on Twitter: "Pray for the king."

    Former Brazil number 10 Rivaldo, a World Cup winner in 2002, added: "Strength King @Pele."

    Santos, Pele's former club, said: "It's the whole world wishing for improvement and together with you, King @Pele!"

    Pele was hospitalised earlier this week, though his daughter said on Wednesday there was "no surprise or emergency".

    That was followed by Pele saying it was a "monthly visit" in a post on Instagram.

    However, a report in Folha de Sao Paulo on Saturday said Pele's health situation had changed.

    Rodrygo, a member of Brazil's current World Cup squad, wrote before the news of Pele's deteriorating health was reported: "Strength, King @Pele! Praying and cheering for your recovery!"

    As a 17-year-old, Pele inspired Brazil to their first World Cup triumph in 1958, and he won the tournament with the Selecao twice more, in 1962 and 1970.

  • Pele reportedly moved to palliative, end-of-life care Pele reportedly moved to palliative, end-of-life care

    Pele has been moved to palliative care, according to reports in Brazil.

    The three-time World Cup winner, regarded among the greatest players of all time, underwent surgery to remove a tumour from his colon last year, and has been in and out of hospital since.

    He was hospitalised earlier this week, though his daughter said on Wednesday there was "no surprise or emergency", with Pele then saying it was a "monthly visit" in a post on Instagram.

    However, a report in Folha de Sao Paulo on Saturday said Pele was no longer responding to chemotherapy treatment and is now receiving pain-relieving measures in a palliative end-of-life care ward.

    The 82-year-old will not be the subject of any invasive treatment or tests.

    As a teenager, Pele inspired Brazil to their first World Cup triumph in 1958 and won the tournament with the Selecao twice more in 1962 and 1970.

    Last week, when Brazil got their 2022 campaign under way, he sent a message of good luck to the squad.

    He wrote on Instagram: "Today we start writing a new story. No matter the size and tradition of the opponents: we must respect and play each match with the focus of a final.

    "It is important to play beautifully, yes, but it is also essential to leave everything on the pitch.

    "Today, we will be more than 200 million hearts beating as one, vibrating with each achievement of our Selecao.

    "I am sending all positive energies to you. I'm sure we'll have a happy ending. God bless you. Bring this trophy home!"

    Brazil won Group G despite rounding off the pool stage with a shock 1-0 defeat to Cameroon following wins over Serbia and Switzerland. They face South Korea in the last 16 on Monday.

  • Brazil pair Jesus and Telles ruled out of remainder of World Cup Brazil pair Jesus and Telles ruled out of remainder of World Cup

    Gabriel Jesus and Alex Telles will not recover from knee injuries in time to play again at the 2022 World Cup, Brazil confirmed on Saturday.

    The pair had each been substituted in Friday's defeat to Cameroon, with team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar confirming afterwards they would have scans the following day.

    Brazil have already been playing without Neymar, Danilo and Alex Sandro due to injuries, and their latest two setbacks are significant.

    Reports in Brazil on Saturday had suggested Jesus would miss a month and Telles was potentially facing surgery, also representing blows to Arsenal and Sevilla.

    A statement from the CBF subsequently confirmed neither would feature for the remainder of the World Cup.

    "As announced by the CBF after the game against Cameroon, players Alex Telles and Gabriel Jesus underwent tests this Saturday morning," the statement read.

    "Accompanied by the doctor of the Brazilian team, Rodrigo Lasmar, they performed an MRI on the right knee that confirmed the injuries and the impossibility of recovery in time to participate in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.

    "The coordinator of the Brazilian national team, Juninho Paulista, is in contact with the sports directors of Arsenal and Sevilla to define whether Alex Telles and Gabriel Jesus remain with the squad in Doha for continuity of treatment or if they return to their clubs."

    While Jesus was set to play only as Richarlison's back-up in the knockout stage, Telles could have been in line for a prominent role.

    Alex Sandro is the only other natural left-back in the squad and is uncertain to return in time for the last-16 match against South Korea.

    Brazil are at least more optimistic on the status of versatile right-back Danilo, who was set to return to full training on Saturday.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.