Suarez rules out River move following Libertadores elimination

By Sports Desk July 07, 2022

Luis Suarez has announced he will not be joining River Plate after they were knocked out of the Copa Libertadores.

Veteran striker Suarez, who is a free agent after leaving Atletico Madrid, had been linked with River and has now confirmed there was genuine interest.

The former Ajax, Liverpool and Barcelona man was open to the move, too, motivated by the opportunity to fight for a Libertadores title.

But River were eliminated from South America's elite club competition on Wednesday following a goalless draw at home to Velez Sarsfield in the last 16, losing 1-0 on aggregate.

Suarez will not therefore be heading to the Buenos Aires giants, who are losing Julian Alvarez to Manchester City, he told Ovacion.

"I was very excited about the possibility of going to River to fight for the Copa Libertadores," he said.

"It was a dream that I had to win a cup in South America. As River was knocked out, that possibility falls away."

Suarez has spent 16 years in Europe, signing for Groningen in 2006 after leaving Nacional in his native Uruguay.

And the 35-year-old said he was disappointed not to have heard from his former club, explaining: "If I came to think and get excited about the possibility of River, the same would happen with that of Nacional, which was my home.

"I am surprised that the leaders of Nacional did not even call me to find out my situation."

Instead, it seems, Suarez will stay in Europe. Ovacion reported he was weighing up three offers having been tempted by River.

"A month and a half ago, I declared that I was not going to leave Europe," he said. "But River insisted and insisted so much that I came to consider it, and there was a possibility.

"As much as one says something, when the time comes, you will consider it. You are excited that they love you so much.

"The player needs love. River was giving it to me, and Nacional could have tried that."

Related items

  • France midfielder Kamara to miss World Cup, Gerrard confirms France midfielder Kamara to miss World Cup, Gerrard confirms

    France midfielder Boubacar Kamara will be out of action until after the World Cup due to knee ligament damage, Aston Villa head coach Steven Gerrard has confirmed.

    Kamara has been capped three times by France and was called up for their latest round of Nations League matches this month.

    However, the 22-year-old had to withdraw from the squad after injuring his knee during Villa's 1-0 win against Southampton on September 16.

    It was revealed last week Kamara had suffered ligament damage, and Gerrard announced on Friday the former Marseille player will not recover in time for Qatar 2022.

    "Boubacar will be missing until after the World Cup, unfortunately, so that is a huge blow," Gerrard said at his pre-match press conference ahead of facing Leeds United.

    "It's not ideal. We have had better days on the injury front."

    Villa have also lost fellow marquee signing Diego Carlos, who ruptured his Achilles on just his second outing after joining from Sevilla.

    Kamara's international team-mate Lucas Digne sustained a heel injury while away with his country and "will be unavailable in the coming weeks".

  • Stones out of Manchester derby with hamstring injury, Guardiola confirms Stones out of Manchester derby with hamstring injury, Guardiola confirms

    Manchester City will be without John Stones for Sunday's derby against Manchester United, Pep Guardiola has confirmed.

    The centre-back was taken off during England's 3-3 draw with Germany on Monday with a hamstring issue.

    Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Guardiola said Stones will likely be out for up to two weeks, meaning he will miss the clash with United as well as potentially another three games.

    "He will be back when he will be ready," he said, later clarifying: "I think it will not be four, five, six weeks, it will be less. I don't know when he will come back but I think maybe 10 days, two weeks."

    There was better news for another City defender though, with Aymeric Laporte back in training.

    "Training really well," his manager said. "Training alone because everyone was with national teams, but yesterday and today he feels good."

    City welcome an in-form United to the Etihad Stadium, with Erik ten Hag's men winning their last four Premier League games, leading to the Dutchman securing September's manager of the month award.

    "I always expect the best," Guardiola said. "They come with good results against tough sides, with Southampton it's not easy but especially Liverpool and Arsenal at home, and yeah, good momentum for them."

    The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss also compared the Manchester derby to El Clasico and Der Klassiker, suggesting it has been easier to manage derbies in Germany and England since his time in LaLiga.

    "In Spain, Barcelona and [Real] Madrid is more noisy the days before, more media, everything. The rest, in Germany, here, perfect. You can work, people expecting, enjoy to watch the derby, that's all.

    "It's important, big rival in the city. We will try to figure out what we're going to do and what we can do to beat them. No more than that.

    "In these kind of games you don't have to make extra emotion, everyone knows it. The stadium will be full... I'm looking forward to it."

  • Klopp: Alexander-Arnold has 'space for improvement' defensively Klopp: Alexander-Arnold has 'space for improvement' defensively

    Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp admits Trent Alexander-Arnold has "space for improvement" defensively when questioned over the full-back not featuring for England.

    The 23-year-old was called up by Three Lions' boss Gareth Southgate for the fixtures against Italy and Germany, but failed to get on the pitch in either as Chelsea man Reece James played both matches.

    While Alexander-Arnold has shown plenty of attacking ability over his career, registering 45 assists for Liverpool in 167 Premier League appearances, his defensive capabilities have been questioned.

    And Klopp feels Alexander-Arnold could become more solid going backwards, telling reporters ahead of Liverpool's match against Brighton and Hove Albion: "I see him differently. People say he's not a good defender. That's not true.

    "He is a good defender, but he doesn't always defend good. That's true. That's what we're working on. He's a young player, he's 23, and there's space for improvement definitely.

    "We only discuss it on the level we discuss it because his offensive impact is so extreme. Is he always exceptional? No."

    Klopp also feels the discussion over Alexander-Arnold's role in the England squad is harming their chances at the upcoming World Cup, after former Aston Villa forward Gabby Agbonlahor said the defender should "retire" from international duty until Southgate left his position.

    "We can now discuss selections until the World Cup starts. It's one of the reasons why you make massive stories of why the [England] team can't prepare properly," Klopp added.

    "If you ask me for my honest opinion, it will create headlines, that's clear. Do you want that? It helps Germany maybe, but not England.

    "If you want them to play a good World Cup, then don't cook it too hot. Otherwise, you discuss this until November, and don't let them work properly.

    "I think you could see a little bit, England are slightly under pressure because they don't play to their full quality in this moment.

    "Let them do the job, and criticise afterwards."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.