Luis Suarez wants Ronald Koeman to tell him to his face why he showed him the door at Barcelona just over two years ago.

Suarez joined LaLiga rivals Atletico Madrid on a free transfer in September 2020 after being deemed surplus to requirements by Koeman.

The Uruguay striker, now playing for his boyhood club Nacional, scored 198 goals in a trophy-laden six-year spell with Barca.

Suarez hopes Koeman, who was sacked by the Blaugrana in October 2021 after just 14 months as head coach, will explain why he decided to get rid of him.

He told Marca: "Time goes by, and yes, out of politeness and respect, I would greet him.

"If I met him, I hope that Ronald would have the greatness, which he had as a player at the club, to tell me the truth to my face about why I left and that I didn't leave for footballing or technical reasons."

Xavi replaced Koeman and has been given significant backing in the transfer market, bringing in the likes of Robert Lewandowski and Raphinha.

Suarez feels Barca legend Xavi has everything in place to be a success.

Asked if Xavi will produce the style of football fans of the Catalan giants expect, he said: "I think so. He is showing it, without being perfect. He is a coach who grew up there and knows what the club and the fans need.

"I see many conditions for him to go far as a coach, and, in addition, they gave him good tools for it, they gave him the players that he needed and wanted. It's up to him to prove it."

Suarez believes Barca have a good blend of youth and experience as they strive to dethrone LaLiga champions and fierce rivals Real Madrid.

Quizzed how he thinks his former club will do, he replied: "Very well. They made good signings and the young players have two more years of experience: Pedri, Gavi, Ansu [Fati], who is coming back, plus the experience of Jordi [Alba], Busi [Sergio Busquets], [Marc-Andre] ter Stegen... It's a team that can compete for everything."

Luis Suarez will depart Nacional in November when his contract ends, says club president Jose Fuentes.

The 35-year-old striker re-joined his first club in his native Uruguay in July after his Atletico Madrid contract expired at the end of last season.

Uruguay's all-time record goalscorer has since played 10 games for Nacional, registering four goals and three assists, but will depart at the end of this campaign ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

President Fuentes told Channel 10's Punto Penal: "The championship is over and Luis Suarez is leaving Nacional. I'm not going to create false expectations.

"Luis Suarez made a great effort to come to Nacional and, every time they ask me, I say it so as not to generate expectations for the future.

"He's leaving and he also said it more than once, that's how we fixed it."

Luis Suarez has officially re-joined his first club Nacional in his native Uruguay.

The 35-year-old, who was a free agent after leaving Atletico Madrid at the end of last season, announced on Tuesday that an agreement was in place to return to Nacional.

That transfer officially went through on Wednesday, though the length of the contract was not disclosed by the South American club.

"I am proud to wear this shirt again," Suarez posted on Twitter. "Thank you for all your support. See you soon!"

Suarez made his professional debut for Nacional as an 18-year-old in 2005 before moving to Groningen the following season.

He then enjoyed spells with Ajax, Liverpool, Barcelona and Atletico, for whom he scored 32 goals in 67 league games over two seasons, winning LaLiga in the first of those.

Uruguay's record scorer, who is expected to play in this year's World Cup, will hope to help Nacional reclaim the Primera Division title after arch-rivals Penarol lifted it last year.

Luis Suarez has reached an agreement to return to boyhood club Nacional. 

Uruguay international Suarez, 35, was allowed to leave Atletico Madrid at the end of last season and had been linked with a number of clubs including River Plate and Borussia Dortmund. 

However, the veteran striker has opted to return to Uruguayan giants Nacional, where he began his professional career back in 2005. 

"First of all, I want to thank you [the fans] for the love that my family and I have received in recent days," said Suarez. 

"That touched our hearts in this situation where we had to make a decision. It was impossible to reject this opportunity to have a chance to play for Nacional again, and we have a pre-agreement with the club. 

"In the next few hours, the details will be finalised and we hope the agreement we all want will be reached so we can enjoy this new stage and see each other in the coming days." 

Suarez scored 32 goals in 67 league appearances over two seasons with Atletico, with 21 of those strikes coming in the triumphant 2020-21 LaLiga campaign. 

He will hope to help Nacional reclaim the Primera Division title after arch-rivals Penarol lifted the title last year.

Luis Suarez is set to give an answer to Nacional as the Uruguay great considers rejoining the club where he began his celebrated career.

After 16 years away from the Montevideo club, former Liverpool, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker Suarez has been offered the chance to return to Nacional.

A free agent after leaving Atletico, Suarez has also been linked in media reports with German club Borussia Dortmund, and there may be interest from within Major League Soccer.

However, Nacional are hoping the prospect of a move back to the club where his goalscoring prowess first came to the fore will appeal to the 35-year-old player.

Nacional president Jose Fuentes told Uruguayan broadcaster Sport 890 on Friday: "I am waiting as we had agreed that in two or three days he would answer me. This was Wednesday and we are within the two or three days that we agreed.

"At this time I do not have any confirmation from Luis Suarez."

Fuentes said he was perturbed by reports that considered it a done deal, saying the rush for a news scoop "sometimes damages the negotiation or the conversations".

His update followed club director Gonzalo Lucas saying on Thursday that the deal was "a probability" but "not yet closed".

"I think that Suarez is the best footballer in the history of Uruguayan football," Lucas said. "It's like a fairy tale, and we have to protect him so that he has a happy ending."

Many Nacional fans wore Suarez masks at Thursday's game against Cerrito as they welcomed the prospect of his possible return.

Suarez emerged as a teenage forward of considerable promise with Nacional before being signed by Dutch team Groningen, with his career then taking him to Ajax prior to his successful spells in the Premier League and LaLiga.

He sits third on the list of Barcelona's all-time top scorers, with a haul of 198 goals putting him behind clear leader Lionel Messi and second-placed Cesar Rodriguez.

With Uruguay, Suarez has scored 68 goals in 132 international games, helping the team to win the 2011 Copa America and featuring at three World Cups.

Luis Suarez has announced he will not be joining River Plate after they were knocked out of the Copa Libertadores.

Veteran striker Suarez, who is a free agent after leaving Atletico Madrid, had been linked with River and has now confirmed there was genuine interest.

The former Ajax, Liverpool and Barcelona man was open to the move, too, motivated by the opportunity to fight for a Libertadores title.

But River were eliminated from South America's elite club competition on Wednesday following a goalless draw at home to Velez Sarsfield in the last 16, losing 1-0 on aggregate.

Suarez will not therefore be heading to the Buenos Aires giants, who are losing Julian Alvarez to Manchester City, he told Ovacion.

"I was very excited about the possibility of going to River to fight for the Copa Libertadores," he said.

"It was a dream that I had to win a cup in South America. As River was knocked out, that possibility falls away."

Suarez has spent 16 years in Europe, signing for Groningen in 2006 after leaving Nacional in his native Uruguay.

And the 35-year-old said he was disappointed not to have heard from his former club, explaining: "If I came to think and get excited about the possibility of River, the same would happen with that of Nacional, which was my home.

"I am surprised that the leaders of Nacional did not even call me to find out my situation."

Instead, it seems, Suarez will stay in Europe. Ovacion reported he was weighing up three offers having been tempted by River.

"A month and a half ago, I declared that I was not going to leave Europe," he said. "But River insisted and insisted so much that I came to consider it, and there was a possibility.

"As much as one says something, when the time comes, you will consider it. You are excited that they love you so much.

"The player needs love. River was giving it to me, and Nacional could have tried that."

Corinthians momentarily moved to top spot of Group E in the Copa Libertadores, defeating Boca Juniors 2-0 on Tuesday.

Maycon scored a double for Corinthians, who moved to six points from three games following their opening group game defeat away to Always Ready.

On loan from Shakhtar Donetsk, the 24-year-old opened the scoring in only the fifth minute, getting on the end of Fagner's cross to head home past Javier Garcia.

Despite playing at home, the Timao were more than comfortable absorbing Boca possession, with only 33.8 per cent of the ball for the second half.

They eventually doubled the margin on the counter in the 78th minute, with Willian breaking clear and playing in Roger Guedes, whose attempt on goal was parried into Maycon's path for the rebound and finish.

Boselli brilliance puts Estudiantes in box seat

Estudiantes took a commanding lead in Group C on Tuesday, claiming a 2-0 win at home to RB Bragantino.

Augustin Rogel broke the deadlock for Estudiantes in the 54th minute, heading in from close range before Mauro Boselli's spectacular lob over Cleiton in the Bragantino goal only three minutes later.

Los Pincharratas moved to seven points after three games, ahead of Bragantino, who are joined on four points by Nacional following their 2-1 win away to a 10-man Velez Sarsfield.

Shares spoiled in Group D

Independiente del Valle and Atletico Mineiro played out a 1-1 draw in Quito, to share top spot in Group D after three games.

Hulk opened the scoring in only the seventh minute with recent Selecao callup Guilherme Arana providing the assist.

The Negriazules kept applying pressure and eventually got a deserved equaliser via Junior Sornoza five minutes after the restart.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.