Fawad Alam century offers Pakistan hope to level West Indies series

By Sports Desk August 22, 2021

Fawad Alam dragged Pakistan past 300 with his fifth Test century before their bowlers made early inroads against West Indies on the third day of the Second Test in Kingston.

After another delay Pakistan resumed at 212-4 after the entire second day was lost due to rain and a sodden outfield and despite losing early wickets managed to get through to 302-9 declared as Fawad returned after retiring on the first day with cramps.

Shaheen Shah Afridi dismissed both openers inside the opening six overs before poor light ended the day with West Indies 39-3.

Faheem Ashraf fell for 26 with only six runs added to the overnight score, with Mohammed Rizman trapped lbw by Jason Holder shortly after for 31.

Pakistan, who had been 2-3 on the first day, slipped to 231-7 when Holder had Nauman Ali caught behind for a golden duck but Fawad played a key role.

The 35-year-old left-handed batsman reached triple figures shortly after the first drinks break and finished up unbeaten on 124* from 213 balls, with 17 boundaries, batting across more than six hours.

"It was challenging. The conditions weren't easy on day one, the heat, it was humid and hot," Fawad said. "We were 2-3 so we needed to come back, had to build partnerships. That's what me and Babar [Azam] did on the first day.

"I am very happy right now. Whenever you score a century for your country, you feel proud and that's exactly what I'm feeling right now."

The new ball did the damage again as West Indies took to the crease, with Shaheen having Kieran Powell out lbw for 5 and captain Kraigg Brathwaite bowled for 4.

Roston Chase was dismissed by Faheem for 10 late in the day, with Nkrumah Bonner (18*) and nightwatchman Alzarri Joseph (0*) the unbeaten batsmen at stumps on a day owned by Fawad.

Pakistan, who lost the first Test of the two-game series, lead by 263 runs with two days remaining.

Related items

  • West Indies Academy squad named for Ireland tour West Indies Academy squad named for Ireland tour

    Cricket West Indies (CWI) has unveil the squad selected for the upcoming West Indies Academy tour of Ireland, slated from June 8th to June 29th, 2024.

    This tour will comprise five matches, encompassing three 50-over matches and two four-day matches against Ireland’s Emerging Men’s Team. It signifies a reciprocal tour following Ireland's visit to the West Indies in November 2023.

    “We continue to be methodical in our approach by exposing our academy players to various opposition and conditions across different formats. This is key to their development and fosters resilience and adaptability," said Miles Bascombe, CWI Director of Cricket.

    Nyeem Young will continue as Captain, with Teddy Bishop as Vice-Captain for both formats.

    "Nyeem’s leadership qualities have been evident throughout his tenure, notably steering the Academy team during the Super50 and West Indies Championship campaigns. His continued captaincy is a testament to his exceptional leadership skills and contribution to the team,” noted Graeme West, CWI’s High-Performance Manager in reference to Young.

    Regarding Bishop's selection as Vice-Captain, West highlights, "Teddy Bishop's elevation to Vice Captaincy underscores his growing stature within the team. His adept handling of leadership responsibilities during Young's absence and his invaluable experience with the West Indies A Team and Senior Teams make him an ideal choice for the role."

    The full squad is listed as follows:
    Nyeem Young - Captain
    Teddy Bishop - Vice Captain
    Kadeem Alleyne
    Jewel Andrew
    Ackeem Auguste
    Joshua Bishop
    McKenny Clarke
    Joshua James
    Jordan Johnson
    Leonardo Julian
    Johann Layne
    Ashmead Nedd
    Kelvin Pitman
    Ramon Simmonds
    Carlon Tuckett

    Team Management Unit:

    Head Coach: Ramesh Subasinghe
    Assistant Coach: Rohan Nurse
    Physiotherapist: Neil Barry
    Strength & Conditioning Coach: Shayne Cooper
    Manager & Team Analyst: Kesh Ramphal

  • Nottingham Forest’s response to VAR controversy ‘too emotional’ – Stuart Broad Nottingham Forest’s response to VAR controversy ‘too emotional’ – Stuart Broad

    Former England bowler Stuart Broad has criticised Nottingham Forest’s response to the VAR controversy at Sunday’s Premier League match against Everton as “slightly too emotional”.

    Broad, the second-highest England Test wicket-taker, was made a CBE for services to cricket during a ceremony at Windsor Castle on Tuesday, and is a long-time fan of the football club.

    Following Forest’s 2-0 loss at Everton, the club risked Football Association and Premier League sanction over their extraordinary response to three rejected penalty appeals.

    In a statement on Sunday, the club said there had been “three extremely poor decisions – three penalties not given – which we simply cannot accept”, adding: “We warned the PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Limited) that the VAR is a Luton fan before the game, but they didn’t change him.”

    On Tuesday, it was announced that the club would be given the opportunity to privately hear the VAR audio connected to the three penalty claims.

    When asked about his thoughts on the VAR incident, Broad said: “Obviously, there’s been some natural frustration from everyone at Nottingham Forest: owners, players, manager fans, supporters, my friendship group are frustrated.

    “I think it’s not just from the weekend, I think the frustration is built over the season, to be honest, from the decisions that the club have had.

    “I think the statement straight after the game was probably quite emotional and maybe slightly misaligned with how the club would normally operate.”

    Referring to the club’s statement on X, formerly Twitter, in which they claimed VAR Stuart Attwell “was a Luton fan”, Broad said: “Personally, I think that’s got nothing to do with the decision-making. I think it was just poor decision-making.

    He continued: “I don’t mind the club showing emotion and passion because ultimately, that’s what sport’s about, but I think some of the words were slightly too emotional.”

    Broad, 37, announced he was retiring from cricket during the fifth Ashes Test last summer and bowed out in spectacular fashion.

    He hit a six off his final ball and took the final wicket as England won the match to level the series, although Australia retained the urn.

    He came second in the public vote for the BBC’s 2023 Sports Personality of the Year in December and has been focusing on fatherhood and television punditry.

    After the ceremony he said retirement had been “scary” but that he wanted to continue to “stay connected” to the sport.

    When asked what was next, Broad said: “I want to stay in the game.

    “It’s a great hobby of mine, it’s probably something I know the most about in the world, in my world, so I want to be able to share that feedback, whether that’s coaching, whether that’s punditry and commentary that I enjoy.

    “But stay connected to the game, you know, I love it.”

  • Andrew Flintoff’s son makes century for Lancashire second XI Andrew Flintoff’s son makes century for Lancashire second XI

    Andrew Flintoff’s 16-year-old son, Rocky, has scored his maiden century for Lancashire’s second XI.

    The teenager conjured up memories of his father’s flamboyant hitting as he peeled off 116 in 165 balls against Warwickshire’s second string, hitting 11 fours and three sixes at Edgbaston.

    On the same ground where ‘Freddie’ Flintoff struck 167 – his best Test score – against the West Indies in 2004, Rocky made light of his rookie status with a series of punishing blows into the leg side.

    Batting for long periods with Saqib Mahmood and sharing a stand of 39 with his 18-year-old brother Corey, the youngster put in an eye-catching display against an attack featuring highly-rated seamer Che Simmons and former England Lions spinner Jake Lintott.

    Rocky Flintoff only made his second XI debut earlier this month, a matter of days after turning 16, and hit a half-century against Durham last week.

    While his sons take their first steps in the game, Flintoff senior is stepping up his return to the sport and is set to travel to the T20 World Cup in June as part of England’s backroom team.

    Flintoff will also act as head coach of Northern Superchargers this summer, furthering his reintegration into the cricketing fold following the major car crash he suffered while filming Top Gear in late 2022.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.