Hardworking Shamar Joseph not surprised by selection for Australia tour

By Sports Desk December 21, 2023
Shamar Joseph Shamar Joseph file

Pacer Shamar Joseph says he is not surprised by his selection for the West Indies tour to Australia which starts in mid-January, which is part of the ICC Test Championships.

Joseph, who is among five Guyanese in the 15-man squad named by Cricket West Indies (CWI) on Wednesday, attributed his selection to hard work since making his first-class debut earlier this year.

The 24-year-old Joseph worked at a security firm before he launched his cricketing career, and his decision has been justified, as he has so far taken two five-wicket hauls and 21 wickets in five first-class matches.

“Since making my first-class [debut] for Guyana in February, I have been doing well and my five-wicket [haul] against South Africa ‘A,’ I knew I was not far away from playing at the highest level, which has always been my passion and dream,” said Joseph, who came to prominence during the Berbice Cricket Board’s fast-bowling camp with Sir Curtly Ambrose at Albion last year.

“I hope to play in Australia and if I do, I will grab it with both hands since I worked very hard for this, and I will continue to train hard since that is something I enjoy doing,” the confident player added.

Related items

  • Second washout stops England and Pakistan's T20 World Cup preparation Second washout stops England and Pakistan's T20 World Cup preparation

    For the second time this series, England and Pakistan saw a game abandoned due to rain, this time at Sophia Gardens on Tuesday.

    After their opening game at Headingley was washed out, the teams endured another frustrating day in Cardiff as the umpires called off the third match without a single bowl being bowled.

    England’s 23-run victory at Edgbaston on Saturday means they have an unassailable 1-0 lead in the series.

    However, Pakistan have one last chance to level things at The Oval on Thursday before both teams head off to the United States for the T20I World Cup in June. 

  • “We got taught a lesson”: van der Dussen credits Windies for dominant performance in T20I series “We got taught a lesson”: van der Dussen credits Windies for dominant performance in T20I series

    South Africa stand-in Captain Rassie van der Dussen gave his West Indian counterparts all the praise in the world after his side suffered a dominant 0-3 defeat in their three T20Is from May 23-26 at Sabina Park in Kingston.

    The hosts won last Thursday’s first encounter by 28 runs, their biggest win over South Africa in T20Is, and followed it up with a 16-run win in the second game on Saturday and a dominant eight-wicket triumph in the third match on Sunday.

    The skipper put the South African performance down to an inability to quickly adapt to the conditions of the Sabina Park pitch.

    “We just couldn’t adapt early enough. Yes, we had a long week in terms of layovers in Miami and so forth. I think we saw that in the first match but you can’t keep making the same mistakes,” van der Dussen said after Sunday’s game.

    “I think we just got taught a lesson on how to play in Caribbean conditions, especially from a bowling front. It was a difficult wicket to bat on. I think they just out-skilled us, especially with the ball,” he added.

    When asked about positives he could take from the three games, he singled out openers Quinton de Kock and Reeza Hendricks as well as young leg-spinner Nqaba Peter who played the last two games, the first two T20Is of his career.

    The 35-year-old, who was left out of South Africa’s squad for the upcoming T20 World Cup, says an adjustment he hopes the team makes with the bat is to take a few more chances up front.

    “Maybe just be a bit braver. We saw the way the West Indies play, especially in the power play. They really take it on and when the ball’s newer, it’s easier to score than in the back end when the ball gets soft,” he said.

     

  • Almost there: Lynch says Kensington Oval just about ready for T20 World Cup Almost there: Lynch says Kensington Oval just about ready for T20 World Cup

    With the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup now just only a few days away, Chairman of the National Organising Committee Noel Lynch says the iconic Kensington Oval is just about ready for the showpiece which is scheduled to begin on Saturday.

    Lynch’s confirmation came during a media tour of the venue, which will host nine matches, including the June 29 final.

    “Kensington Oval has never looked as good as it does right now. The field, in particular, is in its best condition ever, and those who have played on it are nodding in agreement,” Lynch opined.

    Though some finishing touches are still being applied, Lynch praised the dedication and hard work of the curators and groundsmen, as he declared the Oval is ready to host cricket matches.

    “We are not boasting, but we are ready. We’re 95 per cent to 99 per cent ready,” he declared.

    The infrastructural improvements to the Oval include upgrades to the bathroom facilities, the inclusion of a three-tier hospitality suite, upgrades to the media centre and the erection of a temporary stand with a 2,500 seating capacity.

    Aside from the World Cup, Lynch pointed out that they are also engaging the local community through the KOMI Good Neighbor Programme. The programme focuses on involving residents from nearby areas, providing them with job opportunities related to the Oval’s upkeep. 

    “This isn’t just about the World Cup; it’s about an ongoing, sustainable programme,” Lynch said. 

    “We have walked every avenue in Pickwick Gap, gone house to house with the member of parliament, and engaged with the community directly,” he added.

    Finally, there will be an open house on Wednesday, where Barbadians and visitors are invited to get a firsthand look on the upgraded Oval ahead of the World Cup. Gates will open at 1:00pm.

     

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.