Retired Carter given four-year ban after positive test

By Sports Desk December 02, 2021

Retired Jamaica sprinter Nesta Carter has been banned for four years after testing positive for a prohibited substance earlier this year.

The 36-year-old Carter announced his retirement from track and field in August, at that time stating that medical condition had not allowed him to train since March, and insisting he was putting his health over his career.

According to reports, Carter returned an adverse analytical finding for the substance, clomiphene, which can alter male testosterone levels.  The former athlete has insisted that the substance was in a medication prescribed by his physician while he was out of competition.

The ban was the second for the sprinter, who retrospectively tested positive from a sample, taken at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, in 2016.  The substance was methylhexanamine.

 The positive test led to Jamaica being stripped of their Beijing 2008 gold in the men's 4x100 metres.  The decision was handed down by the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel.

Related items

  • 'I didn't need that kind of toxicity' - Departing Reggae Girlz coach Blaine insists there was no way forward with team 'I didn't need that kind of toxicity' - Departing Reggae Girlz coach Blaine insists there was no way forward with team

    Departing Jamaica Reggae Girlz coach, Vin Blaine, has insisted the toxic environment surrounding his tenure with the national team had left the situation untenable.

    Blaine brought an end to a weeks-long saga yesterday when he announced that he would officially resign as coach of the team, following a dispute with some senior members of the Reggae Girlz.

    The players in question wrote a letter of no confidence, to the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), signed by 19 members, which suggested the coach lacked detailed training sessions, did not provide video analysis, had issues with set pieces, and provided no post-match reviews for player improvement.

     A review of the situation by the JFF technical committee, however, cleared the coach of any wrongdoing and recommended Blaine stay in the post.  From his perspective, however, making that decision would not have been in anyone’s best interest. 

    “Based on the situation, if everyone knew the entire process I went through; It was a toxic environment,” Blaine told the SportsMax Zone.

     “Sad to say from day one or two, in the program, you had staff undermining the program, the previous staff.  You had players telling you who should be the equipment person, who should be the fitness coach, those are things that went on,” he added.

    “I came out with a smile on my face because it’s not for me to disclose those things in a training camp.  So, I don’t think I could move forward although the federation said they were clearing me for that.  For the program to go forward and for my own peace of mind, I did not need that kind of toxicity.”

  • Yorke lands coaching job with Australia A-League club Macarthur Yorke lands coaching job with Australia A-League club Macarthur

    Former Trinidad and Tobago international and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke has landed a coaching role with Australia A-League (ASL) club Macarthur FC.

    The journey to such a position has been a long and arduous one for the 50-year-old who has in years gone by often complained of a lack of diversity in English football.  According to Yorke, despite the recommendation of legendary coach Sir Alex Ferguson he struggled to even land interviews.  The ormer top marksman has, however, finally gotten his chance.

    The Trinidadian has, however, served football in other capacities, taking a role with the Trinidad and Tobago national team, as an assistant coach, in 2009, after retiring from the sport.

    Yorke, who was also an advisor within the Manchester United youth set-up, also interviewed for a job with Sutton United but was not selected to coach the National League club.  The former player was also thought to have been in contention for the Aston Villa job earlier this season but the team opted for former Liverpool player Steven Gerrard.

    He has, reportedly, agreed to a two-year contract with Macarthur, which is based in Southwestern Sydney.  Another Caribbean international, Adrian Marriapa, who represents Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz, is a part of the squad having joined the team last season.

     

     

  • Gayle, de Villiers inducted to RCB hall of fame Gayle, de Villiers inducted to RCB hall of fame

    West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle and South African batsman AB De Villiers have become the first cricketers to be inducted into the hall of fame of Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore.

    The 42-year-old Gayle represented the franchise between 2011 and 2017.  The batsman never won a title at the club but set a number of records while there, including the highest ever individual T20 score of 175 during the 2013 IPL season. 

    Former RCB skipper Virat Kohli thanked the two greats for their contribution to making the IPL what it is today. Gayle thanked the club for the special honour.  

    "I want to thank the RCB family for the opportunity, for everything. It's been special to me as well. And to be inducted is something fantastic, and I will always keep RCB close to my heart. I share a lot of memories with some special players and some special coaches,” Gayle said.

    “It's been fantastic. I wish I were there to give this speech, look into you guys' eyes, and tell you exactly how I feel. AB mentioned it's going to be emotional because it's very touching for such a franchise that has been created over the years. It's fantastic. And to Virat, thank you for the kind words as well. Fantastic sharing the dressing room with you guys as well."

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.