Dominican Republic's win streak ends in five-set thriller against Russia

By Jherard Morris-Sealy June 07, 2021

The Dominican Republic’s good run of form was halted Sunday when they lost to Russia at the Volleyball Nation’s League in Italy.

They went down in a competitive five-set battle 18-25, 25-21, 20-25, 25-22, 8-15.

Both teams showed their intent early with aggressive starts. The DR team was solid in defence at the net and in the backcourt but Russia’s defence was just as good and they outscored the Caribbean queens to take the first set.

The second set was just as competitive as both teams improved defensively resulting in longer rallies. Outstanding setting by Frica Marte created helped DR create more scoring chances, which they capitalized on to pulled away from the Russians and take the second set to level the score at 1-1.

Russia took total control of the third set during which they led 18-8 at one point. The DR attempted to intensify their aggression but were met with stout resistance, forcing them to rethink their strategy. They were able to claw their way back into the set but the Russians held firm to win the set.

DR made a change in their line-up with Isabel Pena replacing Captain Brens Rivera that paid immediate dividends as she impacted the attacking play alongside Bethania De La Cruz which helped them win the fourth set.

Russia was resistant with their defensive effort but Pena’s fresh legs proved to be too much for their fatigued players. The Dominican Republic came out on top and pushed the game to a decisive fifth set.

Russia found a second wind in the final set. They dominated play against a faltering DR's defence, which resulted in them not being able to create second-chance attempts to score. Meanwhile, their opponents applied the pressure with increasing intensity that resulted in victory.

Russian outside hitter Nataliya Goncharova was the game’s overall top scorer with 31 points inclusive of  30 kills and one block. For the Dominican Republic, Brayelin Elizabeth Martinez was once again their top scorer, this time with 23 points - 22 kills and an ace.

With this loss, the Dominican Republic dropped one place to eighth in the standings with 11 points from seven games. They play Turkey today.

Related items

  • Insigne: Toronto move motivated by need for fresh challenge Insigne: Toronto move motivated by need for fresh challenge

    Lorenzo Insigne says his move to Major League Soccer side Toronto FC came about due to his need for a new challenge after spending his entire career with Napoli.

    The Italy international agreed to join Toronto in January, going on to finish the 2021-22 Serie A season with 11 goals in 32 appearances for Luciano Spalletti's Napoli before heading to Canada.

    Insigne scored 122 goals in 434 appearances for his hometown club, a tally which is only bettered by Dries Mertens (148) and represents seven goals more than the late, great Diego Maradona netted for the Partenopei (115).

    Speaking at his first news conference in Toronto, Insigne refuted the suggestion that MLS represented a step down for a player of his quality.

    Asked whether he had been presented with other options, Insigne said: "I didn't receive any [other] offers at that time. It was very early when I first met the president, and I still had my contract with Napoli. I could have stayed in Europe. 

    "I'm 31, so I still have many years in front of me, but I wanted to choose happiness and the wellbeing of my family. 

    "As I mentioned before, I won a lot with Napoli, and I lost as well. But I wanted a change and more importantly, a challenge, either in another European club or here in North America. 

    "I've heard people saying that soccer in North America is not real soccer, but I've seen it and it's not true. 

    "It is a challenge because of the move, but I'm really grateful to the opportunity the president gave me and the whole organisation has given me, and the love and the effort that everybody is putting into this. I'm very thankful, and I want to repay the love with my performances during the season."

    Insigne joins a team that sits 11th in the Eastern Conference, but he is already targeting silverware.

    "I am very happy to be here. This is a big and new adventure for me and my family, this is the first time we have been away from Napoli," he said.

    "But it was a great choice, because when I first met the president, he talked to me about Toronto as a city and especially about the team. 

    "He struck me as a really great person, and the project that he explained to me about the team stuck with me.

    "I made the decision, not for the money, but for a new life for my family and my kids, and for their wellbeing. The project is certainly a challenge, and I would like to be part of winning the championship.

    "I played for Napoli for 10 years and for the Italian national team, winning the Euros. So, I don't have any problem with being under pressure, and I'd rather have my actions speak for me on the pitch."

  • Zaniolo apologises for Italy's World Cup failure as he makes Azzurri pledge Zaniolo apologises for Italy's World Cup failure as he makes Azzurri pledge

    Nicolo Zaniolo has apologised for Italy's failure to qualify for the World Cup in Qatar as he pledged to become a key part of Roberto Mancini's next Azzurri side.

    Italy will miss a second successive World Cup this year after falling to a stunning play-off reverse to North Macedonia in March, and their misery was compounded this month when they were beaten 3-0 by Argentina at Wembley in the Finalissima.

    They also won just one of their first four Nations League games, losing 5-2 to Germany last time out.

    Zaniolo was absent as Mancini's men beat England on penalties to win the rearranged Euro 2020 tournament last July, and made just one appearance throughout Italy's unsuccessful World Cup qualification campaign.

    The creative midfielder is desperate to become a key part of Mancini's next side, and hailed the job the former Manchester City boss has done with the national team.

    "I'm sorry, because we have to wait another four years," he told Sportweek. "But let's go on. I'm used to chasing. There will be other goals in between.

    "The first time Mancini called me I was very young... He came there to talk to me, to make me feel immediately at ease. Great person, professional. I will do everything to convince Mancini."

    Moving forward, Italy will be without defensive stalwart Giorgio Chiellini, who won his 117th and final international cap in the Argentina defeat – matching Daniele De Rossi as his nations' fourth-most capped player.

    And Zaniolo thinks the former Juventus man will be difficult to replace.

    "[Chiellini] has always been the most difficult to overcome," he said. "He is physically strong and off the pitch, he is an exceptional person."

    At club level, Zaniolo enjoyed a successful campaign under Jose Mourinho at Roma, making 30 appearances in all competitions as the Giallorossi won the Europa Conference League, and scored the only goal of last month's final win over Feyenoord.

    The 22-year-old says he has learnt a lot from playing under Mourinho.

    "He's a winner," he said. "He taught me how to get into position in the defensive phase, where we had to improve and I still have to do it. 

    "He helped me to manage certain situations, in the past I would have reacted badly or worse due to exclusion from games that were very significant for me. 

    "He taught me to bite my tongue, [to be] mute and work more in the field."

  • Ex-Russia captain Denisov condemns ongoing Ukraine invasion Ex-Russia captain Denisov condemns ongoing Ukraine invasion

    Former Russia captain Igor Denisov labelled the ongoing Ukraine invasion a "complete horror", but fears he may be jailed or killed for speaking out.

    Russia, with the help of nearby Belarus, invaded neighbouring Ukraine in late February after weeks of heightening political tensions between the two countries.

    The actions of Russia have led to widespread condemnation, with financial, sporting and political sanctions imposed on the nation in an attempt to deter the attacks.

    Football stars such as Oleksandr Zinchenko and Andriy Shevchenko have repeatedly called for the invasion to stop, but Denisov is one of the most prominent Russian athletes to condemn the attacks.

    Former Zenit midfielder Denisov, speaking to sports journalist Nobel Arustamyan in an interview published on YouTube, is still living in Russia and acknowledged he is risking his life by opposing the invasion.

    "To me, this war is a catastrophe, a complete horror," said Denisov, who captained his country and earned 54 caps between 2008 and 2016.

    "Maybe they'll put me in jail or kill me for these words, but I'm telling it like it is."

    The 38-year-old also revealed he has personally written to Russia president Vladimir Putin to urge the attacks to stop.

    "I am a proud guy. This was after three or four days," Denisov added. "I even said to him that I am ready to go on my knees before you so that he would stop it all."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.