NFL

Kaepernick to have workout for Raiders

By Sports Desk May 25, 2022

Colin Kaepernick will work out for the Las Vegas Raiders this week.

According to multiple reports, the Raiders will cast their eye over Kaepernick, who has not played in the NFL since the 2016 season.

Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem throughout that campaign with the San Francisco 49ers in a protest against police brutality and racial injustice.

Since the end of his time with the 49ers, Kaepernick has not had a single workout with an NFL team.

That will now change, with Kaepernick getting the chance to impress the Raiders, who have Jarrett Stidham and Nick Mullens on their roster as backup quarterbacks to Derek Carr.

Kaepernick was drafted in the second round of the 2011 draft by the 49ers. He took them to Super Bowl XLVII after taking over the starting job during the 2012 season, the 49ers losing 34-31 to the Baltimore Ravens, and the NFC Championship Game in the 2013 campaign.

The 2016 campaign saw a poor Niners team go 2-14 with Kaepernick at quarterback, however, with 16 touchdowns to just four interceptions in 12 games, he was tied for the sixth-best TD-INT ratio in the NFL.

Speaking on the 'I Am Athlete' podcast recently, Kaepernick rejected concerns a general manager may have over him being a locker room distraction and having a negative impact on the business side.

"That 2016 season, my last year, my team-mates voted me most courageous and inspirational player," Kaepernick said.

"So, when you're talking about the people that are in the building, that has never come out that I've been a distraction. That's never come out that I've been an issue for the people I've played with.

"You have 'End Racism' in the back of your end zone. You have 'Black Lives Matter' on your helmet. Everything I've said should be in alignment with what you're [the NFL] saying publicly.

"It's a $16billion business. When I first took a knee, my jersey went to No. 1. When I did the deal with Nike, their value increased by six billion dollars. Six billion. With a B.

"So if you're talking about the business side, it shows [it's] beneficial. If you're talking about the playing side, come in, let me compete. You can evaluate me from there.

"The NFL's supposed to be a meritocracy. Come in, let me compete. If I'm not good enough, get rid of me. But let me come in and show you."

Related items

  • Baker Mayfield says he and Cleveland Browns have mutually moved on Baker Mayfield says he and Cleveland Browns have mutually moved on

    It is uncertain who will line up at quarterback when the Cleveland Browns open their 2022 season, but Baker Mayfield is pretty sure it will not be him. 

    Appearing at his youth football camp in Norman, Oklahoma on Tuesday, Mayfield was asked if there was any chance of a reconciliation with the Browns. 

    “I think it’s been pretty obvious, the mutual decision on both sides is to move on,” he said. 

    Mayfield’s comments came the same day Deshaun Watson’s hearing began to determine whether he violated the NFL’s personal conduct policy. 

    The Browns appeared content to move on from Mayfield when they traded for Watson and gave him a massive five-year, $230million guaranteed contract in March despite the fact he was being sued by two dozen women for sexual misconduct. 

    Watson has long maintained he is innocent of any wrongdoing, but he is likely facing a lengthy suspension from the NFL. 

    Mayfield is still under contract with the Browns – due to make $18.8million this season – but said for him to suit up again for the franchise, the team has a relationship to mend.  

    “I think for that to happen, there would have to be some reaching out,'' he said. ''But we're ready to move on, I think, on both sides.'' 

    Part of Mayfield’s frustration with the Browns is after they acquired Watson they were unable to trade him prior to the NFL draft like he expected. Training camps begin in less than a month, and teams are set with their quarterback situations so a trade at this point is unlikely. 

    ''I think I got frustrated with it not happening before minicamp and all those things, but it's just the stuff that's out of my control,'' he said. ''And so, you know, let those things happen and fall in place.'' 

    Mayfield helped lead Cleveland to the franchise’s first playoff berth since 2002 two seasons ago, but struggled last year while dealing with a shoulder injury and the Browns finished at 8-9. 

    Other than Mayfield and Watson, the only other quarterbacks on Cleveland’s roster are Jacoby Brissett and Josh Dobbs, so one of those two are the leading candidates to start the opener against the Carolina Panthers on September 11, if Mayfield is done with the team and Watson is banned. 

    And Mayfield certainly sounds like his days with the Browns are over. 

    ''I'm thankful for my four years in Cleveland, and had a lot of ups and downs and a ton of learning experiences that I will forever keep with me,'' he said. 

  • ACC eliminates divisions, adopts 3-5-5 scheduling model ACC eliminates divisions, adopts 3-5-5 scheduling model

    The ACC has announced a new scheduling format for football with the elimination of divisions and the implementation of a 3-5-5 opponent structure. 

    The new system, revealed on Tuesday, will come into effect from 2023. 

    In the new scheduling model, all 14 ACC schools will now have three primary opponents who they will face each year. They will play each of the other 10 schools once over a two-year span – five one year and the other five the next. 

    In this format, every ACC team will play all conference foes at least once at home and once on the road over a four-year cycle. 

    This ends years of an unbalanced schedule that resulted in some ACC schools going nearly a decade without facing another conference member. For instance, Florida State and Pittsburgh, as well as Miami and Wake Forest have not faced one another since 2013. 

    ''The future ACC football scheduling model provides significant enhancements for our schools and conference, with the most important being our student-athletes having the opportunity to play every school both home and away over a four-year period,'' ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said. 

    The new system eliminates the current two-division format, though the conference championship game will remain. Instead of the two division champions meeting, the top two teams based on conference winning percentage will square off in the title game. 

    “In the end, it was clear this model is in the best interest of our student-athletes, programs and fans, at this time,” Phillips said. 

     

    The three permanent scheduling partners for each ACC team starting in 2023 are as follows: 

    Boston College: Miami, Pitt, Syracuse. 

    Clemson: Florida State, Georgia Tech, N.C. State.  

    Duke: North Carolina, N.C. State, Wake Forest. 

    Florida State: Clemson, Miami, Syracuse. 

    Georgia Tech: Clemson, Louisville, Wake Forest. 

    Louisville: Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia. 

    Miami: Boston College, Florida State, Louisville. 

    North Carolina: Duke, N.C. State, Virginia. 

    N.C. State: Clemson, Duke, North Carolina. 

    Pitt: Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia Tech. 

    Syracuse: Boston College, Florida State, Pitt. 

    Virginia: Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia Tech. 

    Virginia Tech: Pitt, Virginia, Wake Forest. 

    Wake Forest: Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech. 

  • Watson disciplinary hearing set to begin as NFL seek suspension Watson disciplinary hearing set to begin as NFL seek suspension

    A retired federal judge will make a decision on Deshaun Watson's immediate NFL future, with a hearing set to begin on Tuesday determining whether he violated the league's personal conduct policy.

    The Cleveland Browns quarterback was sued by 24 women who accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions in 2020 and 2021, when he was with the Houston Texans.

    Twenty of those civil lawsuits recently ended with confidential settlements and Watson, who will attend the hearing in person, denies any wrongdoing. 

    Two grand juries in Texas have already looked at complaints against Watson and declined to indict him on criminal charges, though the NFL conduct policy does not require criminal charges in order to bring discipline.

    Following an NFL investigation, it is widely reported they will seek an indefinite suspension of at least a year.

    The league's personal conduct policy aims to hold players and personnel to a "higher standard" and make sure they conduct themselves appropriately.

    Retired federal judge Sue Robinson is the disciplinary officer appointed for the case and will issue a verdict on whether any violation occurred.

    A verdict is expected next week before training camp but that may not bring the end to the matter.

    Watson's representatives and the NFL Players Association would have the ability to appeal against any punishment, such as a suspension, while the NFL could also appeal for an increased sanction if they do not agree with the verdict.

    But there will be no appeals if he is cleared of the charges.

    Watson is hoping to avoid being sidelined for the second season in a row. He was not suspended in the 2021 campaign but did not play for the Texans amid his legal issues, having also requested a trade.

    One of the game's leading QBs, Watson was ultimately traded in March this year. The Browns gave him a record guaranteed contract of $230million over five years.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.