NFL

'I can help you win' – Kaepernick eyes NFL return

By Sports Desk April 02, 2022

Colin Kaepernick has opened the door to an NFL return over five years after his last appearance, saying he "absolutely" possesses the quality to improve teams.

The 34-year-old, who made 12 appearances as the San Francisco 49ers' quarterback in his last NFL campaign in 2016, made headlines that year by opting to kneel for the United States' national anthem in protest against racial injustice and police brutality.

Kaepernick has been out of the league since then, but worked out in front of NFL scouts during the University of Michigan's Spring Game on Saturday.

Speaking to WXYZ Detroit, Kaepernick told potential suitors that he could help them to improve, and said he wants to hold conversations with any interested franchises.

"I can help make you a better team, I can help you win games," Kaepernick said.

"I know right now the situation likely won't allow me to come in and step into a starting role. I know I'll be able to work my way to that though, and show that very quickly.

"So, to the teams that have questions, more than anything I would say I'd love to come in for a workout. 

"I'd love to sit down with you and have that conversation about how I could help you be a better team."

Kaepernick filed a legal grievance against the NFL in 2017, accusing franchise owners opposed to his political and social activism of colluding to keep him out of the competition, with a settlement being reached in the case two years later.

He featured in two playoff campaigns during his time in San Francisco and is adamant that he retains the quality necessitated of an NFL quarterback, as he looks to whip up interest from scouts.

"Absolutely," Kaepernick responded when asked if he could still compete in the NFL.

"We can still get out there and sling it. Really getting out here today for the exhibition was to be able to show that I could do that.

"One of the questions that my agent kept getting asked was 'Well, it's been five years. Can he still play?'.

"So, we wanted to make sure that we come out, we show everyone I could still play, still throw it.

"I'm really just looking for an opportunity for a door to open, to have a pathway to be able to get back in there, get a starting job and lead a team to a championship."

Related items

  • McLaurin contract with Commanders continues wide receiver boom McLaurin contract with Commanders continues wide receiver boom

    Terry McLaurin has become the latest receiver to be paid, as the NFL's trend of wideouts earning huge sums shows no signs of slowing.

    And McLaurin's new three-year contract with the Washington Commanders is a record-breaking pact.

    The deal, worth up to $71million in new money, makes the fourth-year star one of the five best-paid receivers in the NFL and notably has more than three-quarters of the value guaranteed.

    Indeed, McLaurin's reported signing bonus of $28m is the largest ever given to a receiver.

    The player has got the deal he wanted after skipping three weeks of voluntary OTAs and then the Commanders' mandatory three-day minicamp.

    Washington bowed to McLaurin's demands, as several rival teams have with their own standout pass catchers this offseason, although others – the Green Bay Packers with Davante Adams and the Kansas City Chiefs with Tyreek Hill – have seen big names depart to earn massive contracts elsewhere.

    The Commanders were determined McLaurin would not be traded, however, meaning he returns for the 2022 season, which had been set to be the last of his rookie contract.

  • Baker Mayfield says he and Cleveland Browns have mutually moved on Baker Mayfield says he and Cleveland Browns have mutually moved on

    It is uncertain who will line up at quarterback when the Cleveland Browns open their 2022 season, but Baker Mayfield is pretty sure it will not be him. 

    Appearing at his youth football camp in Norman, Oklahoma on Tuesday, Mayfield was asked if there was any chance of a reconciliation with the Browns. 

    “I think it’s been pretty obvious, the mutual decision on both sides is to move on,” he said. 

    Mayfield’s comments came the same day Deshaun Watson’s hearing began to determine whether he violated the NFL’s personal conduct policy. 

    The Browns appeared content to move on from Mayfield when they traded for Watson and gave him a massive five-year, $230million guaranteed contract in March despite the fact he was being sued by two dozen women for sexual misconduct. 

    Watson has long maintained he is innocent of any wrongdoing, but he is likely facing a lengthy suspension from the NFL. 

    Mayfield is still under contract with the Browns – due to make $18.8million this season – but said for him to suit up again for the franchise, the team has a relationship to mend.  

    “I think for that to happen, there would have to be some reaching out,'' he said. ''But we're ready to move on, I think, on both sides.'' 

    Part of Mayfield’s frustration with the Browns is after they acquired Watson they were unable to trade him prior to the NFL draft like he expected. Training camps begin in less than a month, and teams are set with their quarterback situations so a trade at this point is unlikely. 

    ''I think I got frustrated with it not happening before minicamp and all those things, but it's just the stuff that's out of my control,'' he said. ''And so, you know, let those things happen and fall in place.'' 

    Mayfield helped lead Cleveland to the franchise’s first playoff berth since 2002 two seasons ago, but struggled last year while dealing with a shoulder injury and the Browns finished at 8-9. 

    Other than Mayfield and Watson, the only other quarterbacks on Cleveland’s roster are Jacoby Brissett and Josh Dobbs, so one of those two are the leading candidates to start the opener against the Carolina Panthers on September 11, if Mayfield is done with the team and Watson is banned. 

    And Mayfield certainly sounds like his days with the Browns are over. 

    ''I'm thankful for my four years in Cleveland, and had a lot of ups and downs and a ton of learning experiences that I will forever keep with me,'' he said. 

  • ACC eliminates divisions, adopts 3-5-5 scheduling model ACC eliminates divisions, adopts 3-5-5 scheduling model

    The ACC has announced a new scheduling format for football with the elimination of divisions and the implementation of a 3-5-5 opponent structure. 

    The new system, revealed on Tuesday, will come into effect from 2023. 

    In the new scheduling model, all 14 ACC schools will now have three primary opponents who they will face each year. They will play each of the other 10 schools once over a two-year span – five one year and the other five the next. 

    In this format, every ACC team will play all conference foes at least once at home and once on the road over a four-year cycle. 

    This ends years of an unbalanced schedule that resulted in some ACC schools going nearly a decade without facing another conference member. For instance, Florida State and Pittsburgh, as well as Miami and Wake Forest have not faced one another since 2013. 

    ''The future ACC football scheduling model provides significant enhancements for our schools and conference, with the most important being our student-athletes having the opportunity to play every school both home and away over a four-year period,'' ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said. 

    The new system eliminates the current two-division format, though the conference championship game will remain. Instead of the two division champions meeting, the top two teams based on conference winning percentage will square off in the title game. 

    “In the end, it was clear this model is in the best interest of our student-athletes, programs and fans, at this time,” Phillips said. 

     

    The three permanent scheduling partners for each ACC team starting in 2023 are as follows: 

    Boston College: Miami, Pitt, Syracuse. 

    Clemson: Florida State, Georgia Tech, N.C. State.  

    Duke: North Carolina, N.C. State, Wake Forest. 

    Florida State: Clemson, Miami, Syracuse. 

    Georgia Tech: Clemson, Louisville, Wake Forest. 

    Louisville: Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia. 

    Miami: Boston College, Florida State, Louisville. 

    North Carolina: Duke, N.C. State, Virginia. 

    N.C. State: Clemson, Duke, North Carolina. 

    Pitt: Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia Tech. 

    Syracuse: Boston College, Florida State, Pitt. 

    Virginia: Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia Tech. 

    Virginia Tech: Pitt, Virginia, Wake Forest. 

    Wake Forest: Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech. 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.