NFL

Aaron Rodgers' $150m Packers deal made official

By Sports Desk March 15, 2022

The Green Bay Packers confirmed the signing of NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers to a contract extension on Tuesday.

Prior to reports of a breakthrough in talks last week, the quarterback's future had been the subject of much speculation.

The four-time MVP – who has won the award in each of the past two seasons – was non-committal on whether he would return to Green Bay for the 2022 season.

Rodgers had entered the 2021 campaign in the wake of a stand-off with the Packers after his desire to leave was reported on the opening night of last year's draft.

A move elsewhere and retirement both seemed to be options on the table for Rodgers, who led the Packers to a NFL-best 13-4 record last season.

But relations between Rodgers and the Packers at the end of the season appeared more amiable than they were back in April of 2021 – and the 38-year-old soon confirmed he would be staying following the reported agreement.

Rodgers disputed the supposed $200million value of his new deal, but full details of the agreement were reported on Tuesday before the Packers announced his signing.

According to widespread reports, Rodgers agreed to a four-year extension to his deal, which has a year to run, although the final two seasons are placeholders for cap purposes that can be redone.

It means the $150m agreement is worth $50m per year to Rodgers over the next three seasons, the highest salary in the NFL on a per-year basis.

Announcing the contract but not its terms, Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said: "We are very pleased to be able to come to an agreement with Aaron that keeps him in Green Bay.

"His play on the field and leadership in our locker room remain vital in our pursuit of another Super Bowl title.

"The agreement also allows us to maintain and enhance what we feel is already a very competitive roster."

Related items

  • Roger Goodell explains NFL appeal against Deshaun Watson decision, pursuit of full-year ban Roger Goodell explains NFL appeal against Deshaun Watson decision, pursuit of full-year ban

    NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has explained the league appealed the advised six-game ban for Deshaun Watson because a disciplinary hearing found "egregious" violations and "predatory behaviour".

    Watson faced 24 civil lawsuits following sexual assault and misconduct allegations. He was not charged by two grand juries and has strenuously denied any wrongdoing.

    The Cleveland Browns quarterback settled 20 of the lawsuits in June, with a further three settlements reported at the start of August ahead of the verdict of his NFL hearing.

    Former US district judge Sue L. Robinson oversaw those proceedings and concluded Watson should miss six games with no additional fine.

    But the NFL felt, having reviewed that decision, the evidence uncovered by Robinson required a harsher punishment, and it has used its right to appeal.

    It is widely reported the league believes Watson should be suspended for the entire 2022 season, and Goodell outlined why this is the case.

    "We've seen the evidence," he said. "[Robinson] was very clear about the evidence, should we enforce the evidence – that there were multiple violations here, and they were egregious, and it was predatory behaviour.

    "Those are things that we always felt were important for us to address in a way that's responsible."

  • Sean McVay reveals Rams extension, waiting on deal for Les Snead Sean McVay reveals Rams extension, waiting on deal for Les Snead

    Sean McVay has announced he signed a contract extension with the Los Angeles Rams over the offseason, but talks are ongoing with general manager Les Snead.

    Head coach McVay guided the Rams to a Super Bowl win last season, and tying down his long-term future represents a major boost for the franchise.

    Yet McVay revealed he and Snead were waiting until both men were committed to the team before formally confirming the deals.

    "We are in a good place," McVay said at training camp. "I feel really good about the direction that's going in, and I think it'll be something where it'll be me and Les, and you guys will know when that is finalised for us.

    "We wanted to be able to announce that when both of us got it done.

    "It is something that we've been taking care of, but it is very important for Les and I to kind of have that represented as we're a partnership and a pair."

    McVay has been Rams coach since 2017, with this his first head coaching role after holding various assistant positions in Washington.

    Earning his first title against the Cincinnati Bengals at Super Bowl LVI earlier this year, McVay, 36, became the youngest coach to win the Super Bowl.

    McVay has a 55-26 career record, with his winning percentage of 67.9 the seventh-best of all time among coaches to oversee 80 or more games.

    Snead was the man who brought McVay to Los Angeles, having been the Rams GM since 2012, when the team were in St. Louis.

  • New Broncos owners 'can't wait to get to work' after sale approved New Broncos owners 'can't wait to get to work' after sale approved

    The Denver Broncos are looking forward to a new era after the team's record-breaking sale to the Walton-Penner family ownership group was confirmed.

    The deal, worth $4.65billion, a record for any American sports franchise, was unanimously approved by NFL owners on Tuesday.

    And the group, fronted by Walmart heir Rob Walton, could not wait to get started.

    "We are just so excited to become officially a part of the Broncos," Walton said. "It's a big, big day for us. Really, really exciting.

    "It's been a great process and I want to extend a thanks with all the owners we've been involved with. Their warm greeting and support as we've met them along the way – haven't met all of them yet, but we're getting close – has just been good.

    "It's a very wonderful group to become associated with.

    "We want to acknowledge [former owner] Pat Bowlen's outstanding legacy, also, as well as the family. Pat's leadership and commitment to build a successful team and business, and we'll continue to build on that.

    "Putting a winning team on the field is our number one priority. We can't wait to get to Denver, join our new colleagues and get to work."

    NFL commissioner Roger Goodell added: "This is a group that is going to be great for the Denver community.

    "Their commitment to winning, but more importantly their commitment to making sure the Broncos franchise is an important part of the Denver community. We're thrilled about that."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.