NFL

Super Bowl LVI: Burrow ready to use Bengals pain as 'fuel' for future success

By Sports Desk February 14, 2022

Joe Burrow is confident the Cincinnati Bengals will get more opportunities to win a first Super Bowl after they came up just short against the Los Angeles Rams.

The Bengals led for almost the entire second half at SoFi Stadium, but Matthew Stafford's clutch touchdown pass to Cooper Kupp secured a 23-20 Rams win.

This was the Bengals' third appearance in the Super Bowl and their third defeat, although this young team ended a 31-year drought in terms of playoff wins.

Burrow, therefore, expects the Bengals to kick on and find motivation in the pain of defeat.

"It hurts," he told a news conference. "We put a lot of work into going out there and executing and performing well, and it didn't turn out the way we wanted, so it's disappointing."

Burrow added: "We're a young team, so you'd like to think we'll be back in this situation multiple times over the course of the next few years.

"We take this and let it fuel us for the rest of our careers."

The Bengals' inability to protect their quarterback was key to their loss, with Burrow taking a record-tying seven sacks – one of which left him hobbling.

Burrow said his knee "feels good", however, and refused to blame his offensive line, focusing instead on his own display.

"I was disappointed with my performance overall," he said. "I thought I could have played better, given us a better chance to win, but you live and you learn."

Burrow, who finished with 263 yards and a single touchdown on 22-of-33 passing, tried to focus on the positives, citing a quote from former quarterback Kurt Warner who had "let [defeat] sting too much and didn't celebrate what they accomplished".

"Obviously it stings, but we had a great year," Burrow said. "We didn't come out of this last game the way we wanted to, but we still have something to celebrate."

Related items

  • Wimbledon: Nadal overcomes Cerundolo scare Wimbledon: Nadal overcomes Cerundolo scare

    Rafael Nadal was forced to work for a first-round victory over Francisco Cerundolo on Centre Court at Wimbledon.

    The world number two overcame a scare to secure a 6-4 6-3 3-6 6-4 win at SW19 despite making 41 unforced errors as he eyes a first calendar Grand Slam.

    Second seed Nadal, who won his first grass-court match in three years in an exhibition match against Stan Wawrinka last week, secured a break in the fourth game but Argentine Cerundolo immediately responded, finishing with a strong overhead volley after the Spaniard lost his footing after his service.

    Cerundolo was certainly not fazed by his all-conquering opponent, with the pair exchanging thrilling rallies and both displaying an array of brilliant shots in a first set that Nadal won by breaking for a second time.

    The 22-time major champion made a scrappy start to the second set, but a solitary break in the sixth game put him one set away from round two.

    In the third, Cerundolo continued to battle as he broke Nadal back immediately to peg him back at 2-2 and edged in front at 5-3 before serving out the set to raise hopes he could pull off a huge shock.

    The world number 42 continued to excel as he opened up a 3-1 lead in the fourth set, but Nadal roared back and won 11 consecutive points, breaking twice to seal his spot in the second round without being taken the distance.

    He will face Ricardas Berankis in the second round at the All England Club.

    Data slam: Nadal matches Navratilova record

    Nadal's victory saw him equal the great Martina Navratilova's record of 306 grand slam wins in his career.

    That puts him joint-fourth on the all-time list, behind only Roger Federer (369), Serena Williams (365) and Novak Djokovic (328)

    WINNERS/UNFORCED ERRORS
    Nadal – 23/41
    Cerundolo – 30/46

    ACES/DOUBLE FAULTS
    Nadal – 5/3
    Cerundolo – 2/2

    BREAK POINTS WON
    Nadal – 6/14
    Cerundolo – 4/18

  • ACC eliminates divisions, adopts 3-5-5 scheduling model ACC eliminates divisions, adopts 3-5-5 scheduling model

    The ACC has announced a new scheduling format for football with the elimination of divisions and the implementation of a 3-5-5 opponent structure. 

    The new system, revealed on Tuesday, will come into effect from 2023. 

    In the new scheduling model, all 14 ACC schools will now have three primary opponents who they will face each year. They will play each of the other 10 schools once over a two-year span – five one year and the other five the next. 

    In this format, every ACC team will play all conference foes at least once at home and once on the road over a four-year cycle. 

    This ends years of an unbalanced schedule that resulted in some ACC schools going nearly a decade without facing another conference member. For instance, Florida State and Pittsburgh, as well as Miami and Wake Forest have not faced one another since 2013. 

    ''The future ACC football scheduling model provides significant enhancements for our schools and conference, with the most important being our student-athletes having the opportunity to play every school both home and away over a four-year period,'' ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said. 

    The new system eliminates the current two-division format, though the conference championship game will remain. Instead of the two division champions meeting, the top two teams based on conference winning percentage will square off in the title game. 

    “In the end, it was clear this model is in the best interest of our student-athletes, programs and fans, at this time,” Phillips said. 

     

    The three permanent scheduling partners for each ACC team starting in 2023 are as follows: 

    Boston College: Miami, Pitt, Syracuse. 

    Clemson: Florida State, Georgia Tech, N.C. State.  

    Duke: North Carolina, N.C. State, Wake Forest. 

    Florida State: Clemson, Miami, Syracuse. 

    Georgia Tech: Clemson, Louisville, Wake Forest. 

    Louisville: Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia. 

    Miami: Boston College, Florida State, Louisville. 

    North Carolina: Duke, N.C. State, Virginia. 

    N.C. State: Clemson, Duke, North Carolina. 

    Pitt: Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia Tech. 

    Syracuse: Boston College, Florida State, Pitt. 

    Virginia: Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia Tech. 

    Virginia Tech: Pitt, Virginia, Wake Forest. 

    Wake Forest: Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech. 

  • Wimbledon: Lopez equals Federer record, Cornet draws level with Sugiyama Wimbledon: Lopez equals Federer record, Cornet draws level with Sugiyama

    Feliciano Lopez equalled Roger Federer's record of 81 main-draw appearances at grand slam events in the Open era but he was beaten in the first round at Wimbledon.

    The 40-year-old made his grand slam debut at the 2001 French Open and had appeared in every major since the 2002 event in Paris until he failed to progress through qualifying at Roland Garros this year.

    Spaniard Lopez went down in straight sets to Botic van de Zandschulp at SW19 on Tuesday.

    Ranked 214 in the world, Lopez is a three-time quarter-finalist at the All England Club, while he also reached the quarter-finals of the US Open in 2015.

    Since then, the veteran has never progressed further than the third round at a grand slam.

    Fabrice Santoro is third on the list behind Federer and Lopez with 70 main-draw appearances at majors, with Mikhail Youzhny and Fernando Verdasco on 69.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.