NFL

'I'd walk to New York to get that' – Cowboys owner Jerry Jones would welcome quarterback controversy

By Sports Desk September 22, 2022

Quarterback controversies don’t usually benefit anyone, but Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones would not mind if his team became embroiled in one.

With Dak Prescott currently sidelined by thumb surgery, Cooper Rush led the Cowboys to a 20-17 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday and will be the starter again Monday night against the New York Giants. Rush has won both of his career starts on final-minute drives.

Jones' hope is that Rush plays so well that it will not be completely clear cut that Prescott would get his job back when he’s healthy, which could be as soon as October 2 against the Washington Commanders.

"Of course I would. Of course. That means we’d have won," Jones said. "If he comes in there and plays as well as Prescott played, Rush? Played that well over these next games ahead? I’d walk to New York to get that."

There is precedent in Dallas for an injured quarterback to lose his job. In 2016, Prescott, then a rookie, filled in for an injured Tony Romo and led the Cowboys to a franchise-record 11-game winning streak. Romo never regained his starting job.

"Well, of course we want Dak to be here next week," Jones said. "That’s the thing. You do. But Dak and I want Rush to lead the team to a victory here and get another win and get another win. That’s the only way to look at it. Looking back when Dak was playing instead of Tony, it was game by game. It wasn’t the long look we had after two months to look back."

Regardless of how well Rush plays, the Cowboys last year signed Prescott to a four-year, $160million contract extension that includes $126m in guaranteed money. That would be a massive amount of money to pay for a backup quarterback.

Related items

  • Cardinals' Watt to play against Panthers after midweek heart procedure Cardinals' Watt to play against Panthers after midweek heart procedure

    Arizona Cardinals defensive linesman J.J. Watt said he would play against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday after undergoing a heart procedure.

    Watt spoke out ahead of his team's game to reveal he had to have his heart shocked back into rhythm after lapsing into atrial fibrillation on Wednesday.

    The former Houston Texans man said he was disclosing the news because the information had been leaked.

    "I was just told somebody leaked some personal information about me and it’s going to be reported on today," Watt wrote on Twitter.

    "I went into A-Fib on Wednesday, had my heart shocked back into rhythm on Thursday and I'm playing today. That's it."

    A three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year during his time in Texas, Watt is in his second season with the Cardinals.

  • Double doink sees Saints lose to Vikings in dramatic fashion in London Double doink sees Saints lose to Vikings in dramatic fashion in London

    A double doink with the last kick of the game saw the New Orleans Saints fall to a 28-25 defeat against the Minnesota Vikings in London.

    The Saints defence kept Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins' impact on the game limited for the majority, before crucial plays in the fourth quarter saw the game turn on its head on numerous occasions.

    Justin Jefferson punched the Vikings in front, but the extra point was missed, with the Saints then stopped by the Vikings defense, though Wil Lutz struck a field goal from 60 yards to tie the game.

    The Vikings pulled ahead from the following drive with Joseph kicking a fifth field goal of the game, but there was still time for more drama, Lutz striking the left upright and the crossbar with a 61-yard attempt with the final kick of the game.

    The contest was tied at the two-minute warning before half-time, Chris Olave's first career touchdown cancelling out Alexander Mattison's opener on the first drive, and the Vikings pushed ahead with three field goals, including two in the final 70 seconds of the half.

    The Saints finally burst into action with a 78-yard drive down the field in the third quarter, the highlight being Andy Dalton's 33-yard throw to Marquez Callaway, and Latavius Murray punched in from a yard to bring the game to within a score.

    That sparked new life into the Saints, despite another Vikings field goal, Taysom Hill putting the designated home side ahead before New Orleans moved three ahead with a successful two-point conversion, though Jefferson's three-yard reception put the Vikings ahead again.

    A 60-yard field goal from Lutz tied the game at the start of the two-minute warning, but Joseph stepped up again to deliver with his kick.

    The Saints then faced defeat in agonising fashion as the last-gasp effort from Lutz struck the upright and bounced off the crossbar to decide the game as the Saints fell to 1-3 for the season.

  • Neurologist who cleared Tua Tagovailoa of concussion fired for 'several mistakes' Neurologist who cleared Tua Tagovailoa of concussion fired for 'several mistakes'

    The unaffiliated neurologist who cleared Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa of concussion during last week's game against the Buffalo Bills has been fired.

    ESPN is reporting that the dismissal came about due to "several mistakes" being discovered in his evaluation of the Dolphins' QB, who underwent tests at half-time of the game before playing out a 21-19 win.

    Tagovailoa, however, suffered a scary concussion in Miami's next game, Thursday's 27-15 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, having been stretchered off and taken to hospital in the second quarter.

    The NFL Players' Association (NFLPA) launched an investigation into a potential protocol violation after the Dolphins-Bills game, which remains ongoing.

    The NFL and NFLPA put out a joint statement on Saturday stating a desire to improve the concussion protocol process.

    "The NFL and the NFLPA agree that modifications to the concussion protocol are needed to enhance player safety," the statement said.

    "The NFL and the NFLPA agree that The NFLPA's Mackey-White Health & Safety Committee and the NFL's Head Neck and Spine Committee have already begun conversations around the use of the term 'Gross Motor Instability' and we anticipate changes to the protocol being made in the coming days based on what has been learned thus far in the review process.

    "The NFL and NFLPA share a strong appreciation for the unaffiliated neurotrauma consultants who contribute their time and expertise to our game solely to advance player safety. This program has made our game safer for the athletes who play it for the past 12 seasons."

    Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel had defended his and his side's decision to allow Tagovailoa to play on against the Bills, insisting he had been passed protocols and been cleared by the independent neurologist.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.