Savea double helps New Zealand to rampant first Test win over Ireland

By Sports Desk July 02, 2022

Ardie Savea bagged a double as New Zealand overcame a difficult week of preparations to swat aside Ireland with a 42-19 win in the first Test in Auckland.

The All Blacks overcame a nervy start against Andy Farrell's visitors to gradually, and then ruthlessly, impose themselves upon proceedings at Eden Park.

Ireland, who lost influential fly-half Johnny Sexton half-an-hour in after he failed a head injury assessment, had arrived for their three-game tour looking to back up victory in November with a first win in New Zealand.

An early try for Keith Earls looked to represent the perfect start for them, particularly against a home team whose build-up had been ransacked by a COVID-19 outbreak, requiring ex-Ireland boss Joe Schmidt to step into their coaching ranks.

But a barnstorming run by debutant Leicester Fainga’anuku helped get Jordie Barrett over the line in response, sparking a fluid All Blacks passage, with finishes for Sevu Reece, Quinn Tupaea and Savea setting a 28-5 advantage at the break.

Garry Ringrose responded after the interval to give Ireland hope, but a superb solo second for Savea sealed the game,before Pita Gus Sowakula crossed for a try on debut and Bundee Aki nabbed a late consolation finish in the closing stages.

Related items

  • 'Improved' King ready to face up to New Zealand challenge 'Improved' King ready to face up to New Zealand challenge

    West Indies T20 opening batsman Brandon King is confident ahead of the team’s upcoming series against New Zealand and ready to draw on his previous experiences against the team.

    The Windies will be eager to bounce back from a difficult loss in the previous series against India, but could also find the going tough against a full-strength New Zealand, the world’s 5th ranked team.

    New Zealand has won the last two series against the West Indies both taking place in New Zealand.  King took part in the last series but scored just 24 runs in the three matches.  Against India, however, the player tallied a decent 101 runs in three matches.

    “They’re a world-renowned team, their bowling attack is very good, but I have played them before so I have that experience to draw on,” King told members of the press on Tuesday.

    “I think my game has also improved.  I’m in a better place to face the challenges, so I back myself.”

     

  • Boult granted release from New Zealand Cricket contract Boult granted release from New Zealand Cricket contract

    New Zealand fast bowler Trent Boult and New Zealand Cricket (NZC) have mutually agreed to terminate his NZC contract to give the 33-year-old more time with his family and a less rigorous travel schedule.

    Boult, who made his Test debut against Australia in 2011, will go down as one of New Zealand's greatest ever bowlers, with his 317 Test wickets placing him fourth in his country's all-time standings, more than 70 wickets ahead of Neil Wagner in fifth. He trails only Richard Hadlee (431 wickets), Daniel Vettori (361) and Tim Southee (347).

    Boult also comes in at seventh in New Zealand's all-time ODI wickets (169 from 93 innings) and fourth in T20Is (62 from 44 innings).

    NZC chief executive David White said he understands the left-arm bowler's decision.

    "We respect Trent's position," he said. "Trent's made a massive contribution to the Black Caps since his Test debut in late 2011 and is now considered one of the best multi-format cricketers in the world. 

    "We're very proud of what he's achieved."

    While this does not mean Boult has completely withdrawn from international play, White admits selectors will prioritise players on central or domestic contracts.

    "We've had several conversations, and I know Trent understands that, in terms of selection, NZC will continue to make a priority of those players with either central or domestic contracts," he said.

    Boult admitted it was a tough decision, but that his priorities have changed as he has grown older.

    "Playing cricket for my country was a childhood dream, and I'm so proud of everything I've been able to achieve with the Black Caps over the past 12 years," he said.

    "Ultimately this decision is about my wife Gert and our three young boys. Family has always been the biggest motivator for me and I feel comfortable with putting it first and preparing ourselves for life after cricket.

    "I still have a big desire to represent my country and feel I have the skills to deliver at the international level. However, I respect the fact that not having a national contract will affect my chances of selection.

    "Having said that, as a fast bowler I know I have a limited career span, and I feel the time is right to move into this next phase."

    Boult will continue to play domestic cricket, and will likely put his hand up for any international fixtures contested in New Zealand.

  • Beleaguered All Blacks drop to all-time rankings low with Springboks defeat Beleaguered All Blacks drop to all-time rankings low with Springboks defeat

    New Zealand have dropped to an all-time low of fifth in the world rankings after losing to South Africa in their Rugby Championship opener on Saturday.

    The All Blacks started the defence of their title with a 26-10 defeat at the hands of the world champions at Mbombela Stadium.

    It was a third consecutive loss for New Zealand, representing their worst run since they were beaten five times in a row back in 1998.

    The Springboks piled more pressure on under-fire All Blacks head coach Steve Foster, who vowed to fight on after a first ever home series loss to Ireland.

    Another setback in Nelspruit has dropped New Zealand below England just over a year before the Rugby World Cup starts in France.

    It is now five defeats in six Tests for the All Blacks, who face South Africa once again at Ellis Park this weekend with Foster's job seemingly on the line.

    Ireland are top of the rankings ahead of France, with the Springboks third.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.