ATP

'I still have this fire in me' – Wawrinka delighted with Rome win as Thiem suffers first-round exit

By Sports Desk May 09, 2022

Stan Wawrinka said he was "feeling great" after securing his first win in 15 months by downing 14th seed Reilly Opelka at the Internazionali d'Italia.

The three-time grand slam winner made his tour return last month after requiring two surgeries on a left foot injury, but rallied after losing his first set against Opelka to secure a memorable 3-6 7-5 6-2 first-round victory.

Speaking after booking a second-round meeting with Laslo Djere, who beat Borna Coric 6-2 6-7 (3-7) 6-2, Wawrinka said his desire to play at the top level never left him, despite his injury woes.

"I think in general I was feeling good on the court, physically I was feeling great," he said. "For sure, when you don't win a match in more than a year, you start to think about it more than you should and not focus on the right things. 

"In general, I think it was a great match, a great battle. I stayed positive. I started to feel much better with my tennis by the end of the second set, and in the third set. I'm really happy with this victory.

"After two surgeries, at my age I could easily have stopped playing because my career is way better than what I expected when I was young.

"But I still have this fire in me. I still believe that I can play great tennis. I still believe that I make some big results, maybe not now, but in a few months."

Fellow former grand slam champion Dominic Thiem, who also returned from a long injury-enforced absence last month, fared less well, going down in straight sets to Fabio Fognini.

Having lost to Andy Murray at the Madrid Open last time out, 2020 US Open winner Thiem is still chasing his first victory of the year after losing 6-4 7-6 (7-5) to the 34-year-old Italian.

Elsewhere, 13th seed Denis Shapovalov edged an epic three-hour contest against Italy's Lorenzo Sonego 7-6 (7-5) 3-6 6-3, responding after being handed a game penalty for shouting expletives at a partisan crowd in Rome during the second set.

The frustrated Canadian was heard to tell spectators: "Shut the f*** up" when being booed after complaining about a second serve being called out by the umpire, but eventually regained his composure to claim a three-set win.

Shapovalov will face Georgia's world number 25 Nikoloz Basilashvili in the second round after he overcame Daniel Evans 7-6 (7-2) 6-2, while the only other seed to play on Monday, Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta, cruised to a 6-3 6-2 victory over Federico Delbonis.

Related items

  • Thanasi Kokkinakis defeats Britain’s Dan Evans at Los Cabos Open Thanasi Kokkinakis defeats Britain’s Dan Evans at Los Cabos Open

    Australian tennis player Thanasi Kokkinakis has beaten Britain’s Daniel Evans to advance to Mexico’s ATP Los Cabos quarter-finals.

    Kokkinakis advances with back-to-back top-60 victories after his 6-4 6-2 win against the world number 42 Briton.

    The win, which took just over two hours, marks his second consecutive win against a British opponent.

    The Australian defeated world number 53 Jack Draper earlier in the week.

    Kokkinakis made it to his first tour-level quarter-final since the beginning of 2023, securing a win with five aces compared to three for Evans.

    Evans hit three double faults during the match, while Kokkinakis had the better of the clutch moments, saving four out of the five break points against him.

    The loss also marks Evans’ third loss to the Australian.

    In the next round, Kokkinakis will play world number six Alexander Zverev and the top seed at Los Cabos.

  • Andy Murray defeat to teenager Jakub Mensik raises more questions over future Andy Murray defeat to teenager Jakub Mensik raises more questions over future

    Andy Murray’s future will come under further scrutiny after he lost in the second round of the Qatar Open to teenager Jakub Mensik.

    Murray has repeatedly said he is not about to retire after a horror run of form but the fierce competitor inside him will not be able to put up with too many more defeats like this, at one point appearing to shout to his team: “this game is not for me any more.”

    Murray, whose first-round win over Alexandre Muller on Tuesday was his first victory since October, was beaten 7-6 (6) 6-7 (3) 7-6 (4) in over three hours by the 18-year-old.

    The Scot will have nightmares about a volley he missed on set point in the first-set tiebreak and then the way he lost the final-set tiebreak after fighting back will frustrate him.

    Murray will consider Mensik an opponent he should not be losing to, especially has he had already won eight games on the ATP Tour by the time the Czech was born.

    But he handed the advantage to his opponent in the third game of the first set when two successive failed drop shots allowed the Czech to break serve.

    Mensik, just 18, had played some scintillating tennis in the first set but lost his nerve when he tried to serve it out at 5-4, with Murray breaking back.

    It went to a tiebreak and Murray will be going to bed thinking of the simple volley he missed when he had two set points.

    Instead of putting it into an empty court he dumped it into the net and went on to lose the next four points and the set.

    The second set went on serve, with Murray fashioning a break point at 5-5 which would have left him serving it out.

    However, he hit a short ball into the net and vented his frustration to his team.

    To his credit, he recovered to send the second set to a tiebreak and this time he did not mess about to level up at one set all.

    Murray appeared to have thrown it away as his level dipped at the start of the third and Mensik broke twice to lead 5-2 on the decider.

    But the 37-year-old, who is playing with a metal hip, unlocked prime Murray mode and won four successive games, including two where Mensik was serving the match.

    The youngster stopped the rot to send it to a deciding tiebreak and picked himself up off the canvas to claim a memorable scalp.

  • Carlos Alcaraz retires hurt in first round of Rio Open Carlos Alcaraz retires hurt in first round of Rio Open

    World number two Carlos Alcaraz has retired hurt after twisting his ankle in the first round of the Rio Open.

    The two-time grand slam winner hurt his ankle after just two points while playing Brazilian Thiago Monteiro before the Spaniard went on to break his serve.

    But just one game later, Alcaraz had his serve broken, shook Monteiro’s hand, and left the court shortly after, retiring from the match.

    It comes a week after the 20-year-old lost to Chile’s Nicolas Jarry in the semi-finals of the Argentina Open.

    After the match, world number 117 Monteiro said it was “strange” for an injury to occur so early in the match.

    “On the court it didn’t look so serious, but then I saw it in the big screen and it was a bad twist,” he said.

    “Now I can only cheer for him to recover. He is a star, a dominant one in the new generation.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.