Fraser McConnell overcomes nightmare crash to finish third in Group E final at Nitro Rallycross Minneapolis

By October 03, 2022

During a dramatic weekend of racing, Jamaica’s Fraser McConnell overcame a significant challenge on Saturday to finish third on Sunday in the Group E final at the Nitro Rallycross Minneapolis.

The 24-year-old McConnell crashed and rolled during qualifying on Saturday and it was uncertain whether he would have been able to compete on Sunday. However, his team worked all night Saturday to get his car ready and he was able to return on Sunday to finish second in Heat One of qualifying behind Travis Pastrana, who would go on to win the final ahead of championship leader Robin Larsson.

McConnell would win his semi-final heat finishing the race 2.535 seconds ahead of Oliver Eriksson. Andrew Carlson would finish third, 3.920 seconds behind Eriksson.

In the final Larsson started in pole position with Travis Pastrana, Conner Martell,  McConnell,  Eriksson and Andreas Bakkerud who also crashed on Saturday.

Andrew Carlson and Oliver Bennett would fill the rest of the grid.

Pastrana would go on to take victory, despite finishing 3.793 seconds behind  Larsson. Fraser McConnell would come in third, 1.330 seconds behind Larsson.

Afterwards, he praised his team for putting the car back together in time to race on Sunday.

"I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it again! If it wasn’t for @dreyerreinboldracing @jcraceteknik I wouldn’t have been able to compete today (Sunday). After a nightmare of a Saturday, bringing home third place was a nice way to show my appreciation for the guys pulling an all-nighter fixing the car," he posted on Instagram Sunday.

Following the outcome, Larsson remained the Group E championship leader 21 points ahead of Bakkerud, who remains second. Fraser McConnell will remain third, 11 points ahead of Travis Pastrana. Pastrana would move into fourth after winning the event and taking home 53 points on the weekend.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Talented Bournemouth winger Anthony not ready to choose between England and Jamaica Talented Bournemouth winger Anthony not ready to choose between England and Jamaica

    Talented Bournemouth winger Jaidon Anthony insists he is in no hurry to decide his future with both international teams England and Jamaica being options at this point.

    In truth the 22-year-old winger might not be a major consideration for either country at this point, having not secured much time on the pitch in the English Premier League (EPL).

    In total the player has made only 12 appearances but has shown plenty of ability with the 3 goals he has scored so far.  At Bournemouth, Antony is teammates with Jamaica international Jamal Lowe who has already attempted to sell the young player on representing the Caribbean team.  At this point in time, however, he insists he is not yet ready to consider it.

    “My mum and my dad are both from Jamaica as well. I have got good heritage from there,” Anthony told the Beautiful Game Podcast.

    “It would be an honour to represent either.  One of my team-mates, Jamal Lowe, plays for Jamaica. He’s always saying you need to come!

    “I have only been playing professional football for two years. I don’t want to rush any decisions. We will see what happens.”

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    I’m ready now – Whisper

  • F1 cancels 2023 Chinese Grand Prix due to 'ongoing difficulties' around COVID-19 F1 cancels 2023 Chinese Grand Prix due to 'ongoing difficulties' around COVID-19

    Formula One's 2023 season will not feature the Chinese Grand Prix after the race was scrapped due to "ongoing difficulties" surrounding the country's COVID-19 situation.

    F1 was due to return to the Shanghai International Circuit in 2023, having last raced there in 2019.

    The 2020 race, like most originally scheduled for that season, was cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic and the 2021 race fell the same way. F1 could not honour its contract to race in China last season because of travel restrictions related to COVID-19.

    There will now be no race in the country for the fourth successive campaign after F1 confirmed the 2023 grand prix scheduled for April had been cancelled.

    "Formula 1 can confirm, following dialogue with the promoter and relevant authorities, that the 2023 Chinese Grand Prix will not take place due to the ongoing difficulties presented by the COVID-19 situation," a short statement read.

    "Formula 1 is assessing alternative options to replace the slot on the 2023 calendar and will provide an update on this in due course."

    China continues to operate a 'zero-COVID' policy, with strict local lockdowns enforced if even one person tests positive for the virus.

    Those who test positive are taken to a designated COVID hospital for centralised care and remain there until they have tested negative for COVID-19 multiple times, a process that can take numerous weeks.

    Reports prior to F1 confirming the cancellation indicated it was not prepared to ask teams to travel to the country amid the risk its drivers and staff could be quarantined for weeks if they caught the virus.

    F1 staff would reportedly not be given exemptions if they contracted COVID-19.

    If it does not replace the grand prix with an alternative in another country, F1 will stage a 23-race calendar in 2023 that would feature a four-week gap between the Australian Grand Prix on April 2 and the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on April 30 because of the cancellation.

    The new season is due to start on March 5 with the Bahrain Grand Prix.

  • Former IndyCar champion Palou steps up to reserve role with McLaren Former IndyCar champion Palou steps up to reserve role with McLaren

    Alex Palou, the 2021 IndyCar champion, has been named as one of McLaren's reserve drivers for the 2023 Formula One season.

    The 25-year-old, who ran in testing with the outfit across the 2022 season, is set to balance his time in the cockpit with his schedule in IndyCar.

    Earlier this year, Palou was involved in a dispute over his future, with McLaren and then-current team Ganassi both suggesting he was under contract for next year with them.

    After the latter initially filed a lawsuit against the racer, it was settled for him to test, though now the Spaniard makes the step up inside McLaren's team structure.

    "I'm excited to be part of the McLaren team as one of their reserve drivers in 2023," Palou said in a statement. 

    "I can't wait for the involvement with next year's car.

    "I look forward to continuing my development as a driver and I appreciate the trust McLaren have in me with this new role next year."

    McLaren were involved in a dispute over new driver Oscar Piastri too, after the latter left Alpine amid a bitter fallout over his future.

    The Australian will succeed Daniel Ricciardo for the team on a contract through 2024, and will partner Lando Norris, with McLaren yet to confirm the remainder of their reserve driver pool.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.