Justin Burrowes shoots 69 for an eight-shot lead at Alliance National Amateur Championships

By Sports Desk May 22, 2021

Justin Burrowes shot a three-under-par score of 69 Friday to extend his lead to eight strokes on day two of the Alliance National Amateur Golf Championship at the Caymanas Golf Club.

Following his opening-round score of 73 on Thursday, Burrowes, the only golfer to post an under-par score so far in the championship, has a two-day score of 142.

Dr Mark Newnham is currently in second place following his second-round score of 74, for a combined score of 150. Newnham shot a 76 in the first round that had left him fourth on the leaderboard.

Meanwhile, defending champion William Knibbs is a further three strokes back after a particularly rough round.  He shot 79 to go along with his 74 on day one for a two-day total of 153, 11 strokes off the leader.

Burrowes believes consistency was key to his play on Friday.

“Today (Friday) was, I would say kind of more of the same as yesterday (Thursday).  I just felt like I made more putts today, definitely driving it well, hitting it well, doing all the parts of the game pretty well right now,” said Burrowes, who made three birdies on the front nine as well as two more on the back that were cancelled by two bogeys.

 “It was just about execution and today I went out and executed pretty well.  Still, something to build on, I still missed a few putts I thought I should have made but all in all the conditions today were pretty tough with the rain and the wind.  I felt like I managed it pretty well but still I know I left a couple out there and tomorrow (Saturday) that's what I am going go after."

Among the ladies, day one leader Jodi Munn-Barrow held her lead after shooting five over par 77 on day two.  Her round included three bogeys and a double bogey for a combined total of 149 (72 and 77). "Today was also another difficult day.  It started out being very hot and extremely windy and then the rains came.  We had to stop and then go back on the course so it was very difficult to maintain concentration,” she said.

“(The) course played tough again but overall pleased with my game. I felt like I kept it together well for the 18 holes even with the distractions that were there, so I am hoping I can do the same tomorrow and put up another good score."

Second place Samantha Azan shot 16 over for an 88 to close day two on 169.  She is followed by Winni Lau, who shot 90 on both days for a total score of 180.

Scores for the Ladies 13 - 24 category are Valerie Grant 105 (206) and Suzan White 110 (216).

The Men 7-12 category had two golfers with scores of 78 for Thajae Richards for a total of 166 who still leads Richard White, who shot 93 and now totals 190.

There is a new leader in the Men Senior 0-12 category with Tony Allison 80 (162) ahead of former Cricket West Indies president Dave Cameron 77 (164) in second and Vikram Dhuman 90 (170) copping the third spot.

The Men Super Senior 0-12 also has a new leader in George Hugh with a 76 (158).  The day one leader, former JGA president Wayne Chai Chong shot 80 (159), while Robert Chin 79 (160) is in third.

 The final male category - Men Super Senior 13 and over, with one occupant - Desmond Brown scored 92 for a two-day total of 189.

The golfers will tee off at 7:30 am on Saturday.

 

 

Related items

  • The Open: Harman confident of title defence and expects less fan heckling at Royal Troon The Open: Harman confident of title defence and expects less fan heckling at Royal Troon

    Brian Harman is certain of his capabilities to defend The Open Championship trophy at Royal Troon, where the American expects crowd heckling to calm down after last year's incidents.

    Harman clinched a maiden major title last year at Royal Liverpool after coasting to a six-shot victory for his first PGA Tour triumph in six years.

    The world number 13 hopes to reunite with the famed Claret Jug in Scotland, though expects the course – and the spectators – to pose a different challenge to last year's success.

    Harman described the abuse as "unrepeatable", with many mocking his pre-shot routines and heckling in an all-round attempt to put off the soon-to-be champion.

    "It doesn't bother me," Harman told Monday's pre-tournament press conference when asked about the incidents at the 151st Open.

    "I'm ready to take whatever in my stride. I'm here to play the best golf that I possibly can. That's my main focus.

    "I've always loved the fans over here. I've spoken a bunch of times about how I find them the most knowledgeable fans of any that we play in front of.

    "I kind of chalk last year up as more of an anomaly than anything else."

    The 37-year-old finished tied for 21st in the Scottish Open, a warm-up event for the major at Royal Troon, but has three top-10 finishes in the PGA Tour in 2024.

    Having shared fifth place at The Sentry, second at the Players Championship and ninth in the Travelers Championship, Harman is in decent form.

    He is now looking to become the first player since Padraig Harrington in 2007 and 2008 to win back-to-back Open titles.

    "Anytime that you become a major champion it certainly elevates your status in the game, elevates the way that you're perceived in the game," Harman added.

    "I try to take all of that in my stride, but at the same time understand that the golf is the most important thing, and I've tried to improve my golf game and get it in a place where I can maybe contend in some more majors down the road.

    "My stats this year have been really good. My ball striking has been as good as it's ever been. The only thing I haven't done well this year is I haven't putted especially well. So I'm just kind of waiting for it all to line up correctly.

    "You can work and work and work. You just never know when that work is going to pay off. You never know when the peak is coming, when you're going to catch a little bit of momentum.

  • The Open: McIlroy looking to respond after Nadal and Jordan support following Pinehurst setback The Open: McIlroy looking to respond after Nadal and Jordan support following Pinehurst setback

    Rory McIlroy insists his U.S. Open capitulation is behind him as he aims to respond at The Open Championship, backed by support from two sporting stars.

    The Northern Irishman collapsed in remarkable fashion at Pinehurst, missing two simple putts as Bryson DeChambeau sneaked in to profit and win the major.

    Spanish tennis great Rafael Nadal and NBA legend Michael Jordan both reached out to McIlroy in the aftermath of that disappointment.

    The 35-year-old has now racked up four runners-up finishes in majors since his last such victory at the PGA Championship in 2014.

    Yet McIlroy is intent on responding when The Open returns at Royal Troon this week.

    "Rafa Nadal and Michael Jordan," McIlroy told The Guardian. "Two of the most unbelievable competitors that have ever been in sport.

    "MJ was maybe the first person to text me after I missed the putt on the 18th but both of them got in touch very, very quickly. They just told me to keep going. MJ reminded me of how many game-winning shots he missed. Really nice."

    The four-time major champion scored bogeys on three of his final four holes during his U.S. Open downfall.

    "Was it a great opportunity to win a major? Absolutely," McIlroy added of his short-putting nightmare. "It hurt and in the moment it was tough, terrible.

    "I'd say people would be surprised to see how quickly I got over it and moved on."

    McIlroy subsequently took a short break before returning at the Scottish Open last week, finishing tied for fourth place at the Renaissance Club.

    "Maybe the one drawback from me not talking [to media] afterwards was that you got three weeks of speculation," McIlroy said, referring to his swift exit at Pinehurst. 

    "He should have done this, should have done that but we will never know because he didn't say. I trust the people around me. I don't need to go looking for external counsel.

    "If the tournament ended after 68 holes, people would be calling me the best golfer in the world. You have to be an eternal optimist. Say you play 25 events a year and win three of those. You are one of the best players in history. We lose way more than we win.

    "Yes, I was in a great winning position and should have won but it's not the first time I have let something slip away. It's probably not going to be the last.

    "You have to look at it on the continuum. It was tough but it is one tournament, I play 23-25 per year. You have to keep going.

    "The great thing about this game is you have an opportunity to get back on the horse right after a tough loss. You try to learn from it and do better next time."

  • McIlroy hoping to get putter to 'cooperate' at The Open McIlroy hoping to get putter to 'cooperate' at The Open

    Rory McIlroy is hoping to get his putter to "cooperate" at The Open Championship this week after two close-range misses cost him at the recent U.S. Open.

    McIlroy was in contention to end his 10-year major drought at Pinehurst last month, only to miss two putts from inside four feet on the last three holes of his final round.

    Those missed opportunities allowed Bryson DeChambeau to edge him out by one shot and claim his second U.S. Open title, having previously triumphed in 2020.

    McIlroy finished in a share of fourth at the Scottish Open last week, four shots behind winner Robert MacIntyre, as he again struggled on the greens.

    Speaking after the conclusion of his final round at The Renaissance Club, the world number two said getting his putting game into shape had been his main aim for the week.

    "The reason that I like to play the week before the majors is to knock a little bit of rust off and try to get sharp, and I feel like I've done that this week," McIlroy told the PGA Tour website.

    "If I can get the putter to cooperate and get the speed of the greens down... I feel like I'll be in a really good spot."

    Reflecting on his overall showing, McIlroy added: "I felt like the ball-striking was there pretty much every day.

    "There were a few scrappy bits here and there, but overall, it was a good week to see where my game is heading into next week, especially on the back of three weeks off.

    "Pleased with the week with one eye on trying to defend here, but obviously an eye on trying to get prepared for Troon as well."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.