WBC seek clarity on Tyson Fury retirement claim

By Sports Desk May 04, 2022

The WBC is to contact Tyson Fury's camp to determine whether the heavyweight champion is serious about his claims he is retiring.

Fury recently reaffirmed his intentions to step away from boxing after successfully defending his WBC heavyweight belt against Dillian Whyte.

The undefeated 33-year-old delivered a brutal sixth-round knockout of Whyte at Wembley Stadium last month, and either side of the fight suggested he will call time on his career.

Fury recently said on Piers Morgan's show 'Uncensored' on Talk TV that he was "done", despite speculation surrounding potential clashes with Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk.

"This is the truth, the gospel truth, nothing but the truth – I'm done," Fury said.

"I'm quitting while I'm ahead, I'm undefeated and only the second man in history to retire as undefeated heavyweight champion.

"I'm very, very happy, very content in my heart with what I've done and what I've achieved."

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has said they will be asking Fury and his team to confirm whether he is certain about retirement.

"The WBC will be communicating with Tyson Fury and his promoters about his future plans in the coming week," Sulaiman told Sky Sports.

"We are ready to support him on whatever he decides. If he decides to retire, the WBC will fully support him."

Should Fury stay true to his word, he will join American great Rocky Marciano as one of only two heavyweight champions to retire with an unbeaten record.

"It is our dream to see fighters retire with such greatness. Undefeated champion, financially protected with a loving family and a great future outside the ring," Sulaiman added.

"I am very happy and satisfied if this is his final decision and will fully support him and will be close to him for the rest of his life."

Rumours continue to suggest that Fury has his eye on opportunities outside professional boxing in the near future, with a potential boxing-mixed martial arts exhibition event with UFC star Francis Ngannou, and a recent suggestion from Fury that he could again turn his hand to professional wrestling after his appearances for WWE in 2019.

Related items

  • 'Desperate' Joshua plans 'less talk, more action' before Usyk rematch 'Desperate' Joshua plans 'less talk, more action' before Usyk rematch

    Anthony Joshua acknowledges he is "desperate" to beat Oleksandr Usyk and reclaim his WBA, IBF and WBO titles but would rather do his talking in the ring.

    Joshua has booked a rematch against Usyk for August 20 in Jeddah, having suffered only the second defeat of his professional career against the Ukrainian last year.

    In a news conference on Wednesday, Joshua spoke of the benefits of having the first fight to look back on but described facing a southpaw like Usyk as "a nightmare".

    And "every fight is different", the British heavyweight added; Usyk agreed, vowing: "I do understand that [Joshua] is going to be different – so will I."

    This was perhaps unlike many boxing media briefings, with a relative lack of ego on show as Joshua focused on delivering a result while Usyk dismissed the significance of becoming "the greatest".

    "I'm definitely desperate to get my hands on [the titles]," Joshua said, but he added: "Less talk, more action. Let me get in there and do my job.

    "I'm not a comedian, I'm not someone who writes speeches. I'm definitely hungry, definitely desperate, but at the end of the day, how I perform will speak volumes to the masses."

    In the opposite corner, Usyk – wearing a t-shirt in the colours of the Ukraine flag, bearing the message, "colours of freedom" – is not interested in appealing to the masses.

    "I'm not fighting for money or recognition," he said. "I don't need this. I don't need to become the greatest.

    "I'm just doing my job now and will continue doing it as long as my heart is beating. The only thing I'm on my way to is to save my soul. Everything else is just life."

  • 'You want a million, you got it!' – Tyson Fury takes on Jake Paul's bet 'You want a million, you got it!' – Tyson Fury takes on Jake Paul's bet

    Tyson Fury has accepted Jake Paul's offer of a $1million wager on the outcome of the YouTuber's fight with his half-brother, Tommy Fury.

    Paul and Tommy Fury are set to finally meet in the ring on August 6 in New York after months of going numerous rounds on social media.

    The pair were due to fight in December but Tommy Fury withdrew due to illness and injury. Attempts to reschedule the bout were initially fruitless, with Paul declaring his rival had blown his chance.

    However, a breakthrough was finally reached this week after both fighters confirmed on social media that they were set to face off.

    In a recent interview, heavyweight champion and Tommy's elder half-brother Tyson said he would have no issues betting £100,000 on his relative overcoming Paul.

    Paul responded to that on social media, telling Fury: "You made $40 million, let's up the ante, let's bet a million, two million, however much you want to bet on it!" 

    Not one to back down from a challenge, Fury posted a video of his own on social media, saying he would gladly raise the bet to $1m.

    "This is a message for Jake Paul," he said. "I hear you want to bet a bigger bet than $100,000. You want a bigger bet, you want $1m. Let's do it! You want a million, you got it!"

  • Canelo predicts KO against Golovkin in trilogy match Canelo predicts KO against Golovkin in trilogy match

    Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez was in bullish mood as he outlined his confidence of a knockout victory in his trilogy bout with Gennady Golovkin.

    Alvarez and Golovkin have shared a heated rivalry since 2017, when the first meeting between the pair ended in a controversial split draw.

    The Mexican won the rematch in 2018, but the mutual dislike still feels fresh.

    "A knockout, that’s what I see," Canelo (57-2-2, 39 KOs) said when asked in a news conference to predict the outcome at T-Mobile Arena.

    The undisputed super middleweight champion is coming off a loss to Dmitry Bivol but insists he can handle Golovkin, whose record stands at 42-1-1, 37 KOs.

    "I got tired as the fight went on, and as far as the loss, you take the loss and you move on," Canelo added.

    "I'm more dangerous now than before. It's personal to me."

    When asked if he wants to "punish" Golovkin in their third – and likely final – meeting, Canelo told Fighthype: "Yes, because he always talks about me, a lot of s*** about me."

    Canelo also alleged that his opponent has been biding his time, focused only on another rematch and a final payday before the 40-year-old Golovkin retires.

    "He's fighting a lot of C- and D-level fighters, and I'm staying busy fighting the best fighters out there. It doesn't make sense, right? I'm glad to be here," Canelo added.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.