Jamaica's Olympic boxer Ricardo Brown turns pro after signing with United Boxing Promotions

By Sports Desk November 24, 2021

Jamaica's 2020 Olympic heavyweight boxer Ricardo 'Big 12' Brown has turned professional after recently finalizing a contract with United Boxing Promotions in Canada where he now resides.

Tyler Buxton of United Boxing Promotions, in announcing the signing, believes Brown possesses significant potential.

“Everyone loves heavyweights and at 6’7”, Ricardo is a massive heavyweight,” he said. “They call him ‘Big 12’ for a reason. He has knockout power in both hands. I’m excited to launch Ricardo’s professional career and build a platform for professional boxing in Jamaica with Big12 leading the way.”

When Brown qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics he became the first Jamaican to do so since 1996. The Pan Am Games bronze medalist said he is keen to begin his professional career.

“I’m very happy to be a part of the United Boxing Promotions. I’m humbled and I am looking forward to seeing what United Boxing Promotions have to offer me as I start my boxing career,” he said.

Brown said he hopes to inspire youngsters in both Jamaica and Canada, encouraging them, “Stay determined, disciplined, honest, and focused. You too can be in the Olympic ring one day or even have a professional boxing career.”

Born and raised in Spanish Town, St Catherine, Brown was introduced to boxing at an early age but now trains in Canada with Dewith Frazer.

Meanwhile, President of the Jamaica Boxing Board Stephen Bomber Jones fully endorsed Brown’s transition to the professional ranks.

"Having witnessed first-hand the trajectory of 'Big12' Brown's career from a novice to elite national representative and medalist, I am more than excited about the possibilities this his professional future entails,” the boxing board president said.

“I am not only certain that it will be a bright one but I truly believe he has all that it takes to be a future world heavyweight champion and we look forward to him fighting as a pro here on home soil."

Related items

  • Tyson Fury vacates heavyweight belt after retirement announcement Tyson Fury vacates heavyweight belt after retirement announcement

    Tyson Fury has vacated The Ring Magazine heavyweight belt following the announcement of his retirement.

    The Gypsy King has not fought since successfully defending his belts against Dillian Whyte at Wembley in April, where he immediately expressed his intention to retire.

    Speculation continued to persist that Fury would return to the ring, with the winner of Anthony Joshua's rematch against Oleksandr Usyk touted as the likely opponent.

    On Friday, his 34th birthday, Fury again reiterated his desire to retire and has now vacated one of his heavyweight titles.

    "The Ring Magazine championship has always been the holy grail of boxing. They've been fantastic with me and I've always carried that title with pride," he told The Ring Magazine.

    "The greatest moment of my career was winning the world championship (by outpointing Wladimir Klitschko) back in 2015.

    "There's the great comeback after that with the three [Deontay] Wilder fights. There's been a lot of great highlights in my career – even the Dillian Whyte fight in front of 94,000 at Wembley. It doesn't get much bigger than that. And I went out with a bang."

    While it is not the first time that Fury has stated he would retire, he has not previously vacated any heavyweight belts and has made it clear he will not disappear entirely – hinting at a Hollywood appearance.

    "It was fun while it lasted. I had a good 14-year career. I actually boxed for 20 years, from 14 to 34 years old," he said.

    "I've enjoyed it. I've enjoyed the ups and the downs. My career was an Indian summer that just kept giving.

    "I've done well out of boxing. The world is open to so many things now. I'm doing a Netflix documentary at the moment.  I'm going to be recording an album soon. Who knows, you might even see me on the silver screen."

    Fury still holds the WBC heavyweight title and it is not known whether he will vacate that belt following his announcement.

  • JFF names majority local squad for Austria mini tourney JFF names majority local squad for Austria mini tourney

    The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has named a majority locally based squad for the country’s upcoming three-game mini tournament in Austria.

    The football competition, which will take place at the Ernst-Happel-Stadion, has been put on by Qatar as part of their preparations for the FIFA World Cup later this year.

    In addition to Qatar, the Reggae will be joined at the tournament by Morocco and African nation Ghana, who will also be making an appearance in Qatar for the global football showpiece.

     Of the 27 players named in the Jamaica squad, 20 ply their trade in the country’s local league.  The exceptions are experienced defender Adrian Mariappa who will join from Australia’s McArthur FC, Jevani Brown who represents EFL League One club Exeter City, Oquassa Chong (Esbjerb fb), Venton Evans (Greenville Triumph) Damani Osei                    
    (Santa Clara), Jourdain Fletcher (Gokulam Kerala) and Maliek Howell (University of Memphis).

    The Reggae Boyz will tackle Ghana on August 20, followed by matches against Morocco on the 23rd and Qatar on the 26th.  The team will be coached by Merron Gordon who will be assisted by Vassell Reynolds.

      

    Full squad

    Kemar Foster         Waterhouse FC

    Amal Knight            Harbour View FC

    Eric Edwards               Arnett Gardens FC

    Colorado Murray      Harbour View FC

    Trayvone Reid           Harbour View FC

    Ricardo Thomas        Waterhouse FC

    Ky-Mani Campbell        Waterhouse FC

    Richard King                 Cavalier SC

    Denardo Thomas         Waterhouse FC

    Demario Phillips               Dunbeholden FC

    Fabion McCarthy         Dunbeholden FC

    Nickoy Christian             Dunbeholden FC

    Ramone Howell             Waterhouse FC

    Ronaldo Webster            Cavalier SC

    Jourdain Fletcher             Gokulam Kerala

    Maliek Howell               University of Memphis

    Earl Simpson                  Arnett Gardens FC

    Odane Pennycooke       Tivoli Gardens FC

    Tarick Ximines                Mount Pleasant FC

    Alwayne Harvey           Mount Pleasant FC

    Adrian Marriapa.             McAuthur FC

    Damani Osei.                     Santa Clara Broncos         

    Shamari Dyer                      Harbour View           

    Oquassa Chong                    Esbjerb fb

    Venton Evans                           Greenville Triumph                 

    Jevani Brown                          Exeter City

    Nicholas Hamilton               Harbour View FC

  • Tyson Fury announces boxing retirement... again Tyson Fury announces boxing retirement... again

    Tyson Fury has conducted another U-turn on his boxing future, announcing his retirement on social media just three days after appearing to confirm plans for a return to the ring.

    On Tuesday, Fury revealed he had appointed a new trainer and urged Derek Chisora to accept an offer for a trilogy fight during a series of Instagram posts.

    But on his 34th birthday, the WBC heavyweight champion announced plans to exit the sport.

    "Massive thanks to everyone who had an input in my career over the years," he wrote on Instagram on Friday.

    "After long, hard conversations I've finally decided to walk away and on my 34th birthday I say bon voyage."

    Fury originally announced he would leave the sport following a sixth-round knockout of Dillian Whyte at Wembley Stadium in April, and has won 32 of his 33 professional bouts, registering one draw against Deontay Wilder in 2018.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.