UFC

Leon Edwards plans to defend welterweight title at UFC 300; also targeting fight in Birmingham

By Sports Desk January 01, 2024
UFC Welterweight Champion Leon Edwards. UFC Welterweight Champion Leon Edwards. Neville Williams/Aston Villa FC

Jamaican-born UFC Welterweight Champion says plans are in motion for his to defend his belt at the UFC’s biggest event of 2024, UFC 300, in Las Vegas in April.

The reigning welterweight champion was in attendance for a match in Birmingham, England, between his club Aston Villa and Burnley on December 30 and he was brought on the field to address the fans at halftime.

During his brief interview, Edwards announced that he plans to fight at UFC 300 and then also defend his title again sometime this summer in Birmingham.

“I will defend my belt in April at UFC 300 in Vegas again, then hopefully in the summertime get a show back in Birmingham at Villa Park,” Edwards said.

“I’m in talks with the UFC, so hopefully we can get it done,” he added.

The UFC has announced several high-profile bouts for its milestone event on April 13, including Jiri Prochazka vs. Aleksandar Rakic and Aljamain Sterling vs. Calvin Kattar, but the lineup is still without a title fight.

It appears that an Edwards title defense could be in the works or, at the very least, that the champion is volunteering his services.

Edwards closed out 2023 with a unanimous decision win over Colby Covington at UFC 296 in December. It was Edwards’ second consecutive successful defense of the welterweight title and his 12th straight win (excluding one no-contest).

That one no-contest came against current #2 ranked welterweight, Belal Muhammad, who could very well be Edwards’ next opponent.

Since that fight three years ago, Muhammad has won five fights in a row. Overall, Muhammad’s record stands at 23-3 and he hasn’t lost a fight since 2019.

 

Related items

  • Dana White awards first ‘Bite of the Night’ bonus in UFC history after Vegas 89 Dana White awards first ‘Bite of the Night’ bonus in UFC history after Vegas 89

    UFC Vegas 89 was overshadowed after Igor Severino bit Andre Lima on the arm during their flyweight contest.

    Severino was disqualified for biting in the second round of their preliminary card bout at UFC Apex in Nevada between the previously-undefeated fighters.

    UFC president Dana White later claimed Severino would be released from UFC for the bite and doubled the bonus money of mixed martial artist Lima.

    The disqualification of Severino by referee Chris Tognoni ensured Lima won the contest and claimed the first ‘Bite of the Night’ bonus in UFC history after scenes reminiscent of Mike Tyson biting Evander Holyfield’s ear at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas in 1997.

    Lima, who let out a yell after the incident, uploaded pictures of the bite and got a tattoo around the teeth marks on his bicep with the phrase, “I got f****** bit bonus”, hours after his victory.

    UFC president White said on his Instagram story: “I was going to give him 25k. Now I’m giving him 50k. This is awesome.”

    While Lima wrote on Instagram: “It was so insane I had to make it permanent. A debut to remember. Thanks boss Dana White! Ready for many more.”

  • Cedric Doumbe-Baki clash ‘the biggest prospect fight in all MMA’ – Dan Hardy Cedric Doumbe-Baki clash ‘the biggest prospect fight in all MMA’ – Dan Hardy

    Former UFC star Dan Hardy has described Cedric Doumbe’s clash with Baysangur ‘Baki’ Chamsoudinov at PFL Paris as the “biggest prospect fight in all of mixed martial arts.”

    The Professional Fighters League returns to the French capital where undefeated duo Doumbe and Baki face off in the welterweight division on Thursday evening.

    The event between the two Frenchmen  at the Accor Arena, for which tickets sold out almost instantly, comes after Doumbe’s impressive first-round victory over Jordan Zebo in September.

    Hardy, now the PFL head of fighter operations, talked up the encounter, comparing poster boy Doumbe to the likes of Jon Jones and Conor McGregor.

    “We’re very fortunate to have Cedric Doumbe and he makes my life very easy,” Hardy told the PA news agency.

    “In terms or marketability and technical ability I don’t think there’s anyone who comes close to Cedric. I have to look at the likes of Jon Jones and Conor McGregor to find someone who has the same impact on the fans.

    “The crowd in September was 90 per cent Doumbe but Baki (Chamsoudinov) this time will have a lot of support as well. He’s undefeated, he has Khamzat Chimaev in his corner, you know what to expect from both of these guys.

    “To me, this is the biggest prospect fight that can be made in all of mixed martial arts right now.

    “We’ve had to reorganise the arena to get more fans in.”

    The Chechen-born Baki boasts a strong wrestling background which will test Doumbe’s stand-up style.

    Hardy believes the fight could prove to be a risky one for 31-year-old Doumbe.

    “Because he’s fighting Baki everyone feels that this is a fight in which he could potentially lose,” he said.

    “Baki could take him down, control him against the fence and make him look like a beginner in MMA. We haven’t had those questions answered in Doumbe’s game yet.

    “It’s a very risky fight for Doumbe. If I was his management then this is not the fight I would of picked for him. Baki’s taken this fight and is probably thinking ‘Doumbe is crazy, he’s a good fighter but he’s not fought anyone like me before’.

    “If I was a cautious matchmaker trying to build Doumbe up then this is not a fight I would make. But I’m a former fighter who is an MMA fan and I want to see this fight.”

    Hardy also sees the reasons why Doumbe would take on the 22-year-old Baki’s challenge.

    “I can’t underestimate a fighter like Doumbe, he knows himself so well,” Hardy said. “He plays the range and psychological game really well and I just wonder if any of the games he’s playing leading into this fight will have any impact on Baki.

    “Cedric has taken this fight because it’s a shortcut to the top. If he gets the win then he can start looking at champions and think ‘I want to fight you’.”

  • Former UFC Bantamweight Champion Aljamain Sterling moves up to featherweight to take on Calvin Kattar at UFC 300 in April Former UFC Bantamweight Champion Aljamain Sterling moves up to featherweight to take on Calvin Kattar at UFC 300 in April

    Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Bantamweight (135 lbs.) Champion Aljamain Sterling will try his luck in a new division when he takes on Calvin Kattar in a featherweight (145 lbs.) contest at UFC 300 in Las Vegas on April 13.

    The 34-year-old Sterling, born in New York to Jamaican parents, will be looking to rebound from losing his bantamweight title via second round TKO to Sean O’Malley at UFC 292 in Boston on August 19.

    Before that fight, Sterling was unbeaten in nine fights since a 2017 loss to former title challenger, Brazilian Marlon Moraes.

    In 2021, Sterling won the title in controversial fashion after UFC 259 opponent Petr Yan was disqualified after throwing an illegal knee.

    A year later at UFC 273, Sterling successfully beat Yan in a rematch before producing two more successful title defenses over former champions TJ Dillashaw and Henry Cejudo at UFC 280 and 288, respectively.

    His three successful title defenses are the most in the history of the UFC Bantamweight division.

    UFC 300 marks the start of a new chapter of Sterling’s career with the move up to featherweight.

    His opponent for the showpiece event, Calvin Kattar, is currently seventh on the UFC Featherweight rankings and is coming off a pair of losses to Josh Emmett (currently ranked #6) and Arnold Allen (currently ranked #4).

    “I think this is going to be a banger fight,” Sterling said on his YouTube channel.

    “I feel good about how everything’s been going. I’m loving the training right now. We’ve been able to add some new stuff to the game working on some technical things,” he added.

    Sterling was usually able to use a wrestling-heavy style at bantamweight because of a size advantage over most of his opponents.

    Most people would think that with a move up in weight, his style would change as well. Sterling says this will not be the case.

    “My game is not going to change. I’m not going to change what got me to the show but it’s always good to evolve in case Calvin puts me in these situations where I’m forced to fight a certain way, we’ll be ready and that’s the most important thing,” he said.

    As for the move up to featherweight, Sterling says he’s excited for the new chapter.

    “I can’t wait. There are so many good fights, so many good guys. It’s going to be a dog pack to get through and, if I can get through this the same way I did at 35, that’s going to be a huge feather in my cap and something that I’m going to appreciate for the rest of my career and the rest of my life,” he said.

    “It’s not easy changing weight classes. There’s a couple of things you have to get used to mentally. Coming from guys who are lighter where I kind of had my way in terms of grappling, it’s going to be interesting to see how this transition is going to pay off for me in the future,” Sterling added.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.