Usyk: I only need to beat Fury and then it is time to retire

By Sports Desk September 23, 2022

Oleksandr Usyk plans to have "three more fights at the very most" before retiring, including a heavyweight unification bout with Tyson Fury.

The 35-year-old holds the WBA Super, IBF, WBO, IBO and The Ring heavyweight belts after defeating Anthony Joshua for a second time in last month's rematch.

Usyk's split-decision victory over Joshua in Saudi Arabia was supposed to clear the way for a unification bout with Fury for all the belts in the sport’s blue-riband division.

However, with Usyk ruling out a return to the ring this year, Fury is now in advanced talks with Joshua over a 'Battle of Britain' showdown in December.

Usyk is hopeful of facing Fury down the line, with super-middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez also on his list of targets before ending his career on home soil in Kyiv.

"I can have three more fights at the very most," Usyk said in an interview posted on his YouTube page. 

"It is the most realistic to be in my top form. With Fury, Canelo and a farewell fight at Olympiyskiy.

"With Canelo he said that he wanted to fight me. It would be a freak fight just for the sake of earning money.

"I only need to beat Fury and then it is time to retire for me. The unification of all the belts is much more important than just a fight or another defence.

"I want to outbox Fury and I don't want to work that much just for another defence. There is much more that I can achieve."

Canelo is the undisputed super-middleweight champion after claiming victory in the final fight in his trilogy with Gennady Golovkin in Las Vegas last weekend.

The weight disparity between Usyk and Canelo makes any bout difficult to arrange, but the latter confirmed last month he is interested in facing the Ukrainian.

"It's difficult but I don't care," he said. "I like that type of challenge. I don't care. It's going to be difficult I know, but I love boxing. I love being in that type of situation."

Related items

  • Tim Paine out for six as former Australia captain makes long-awaited return Tim Paine out for six as former Australia captain makes long-awaited return

    Tim Paine failed with the bat on his return to first-class cricket as the former Australia captain made just six for Tasmania on Thursday in a Sheffield Shield clash with Queensland.

    The 37-year-old wicketkeeper was playing in his first such match for 20 months, resuming a playing career that ground to a halt following a sexting scandal.

    Paine stepped away from playing duties when details came to light of a historic investigation into a 2017 text message exchange between Paine and a female employee at Cricket Tasmania.

    It meant he missed out on leading Australia into the 2021-22 Ashes series, resigning just weeks before the battle with England began. Paine's last first-class match had seen him represent Tasmania against Western Australia in April 2021.

    A cheap dismissal on his comeback, caught by Matt Renshaw off paceman Gurinder Sandhu's bowling, saw Tasmania slip to 74-6 in their first innings, before recovering slightly to post 147 all out.

    Paine took a catch in Queensland's reply, holding on to remove Renshaw and give Riley Meredith a wicket, as the home team at Allan Border Field reached 70-1 at stumps.

  • 'Clean' Benn expects Eubank Jr fight to still go ahead 'Clean' Benn expects Eubank Jr fight to still go ahead

    Conor Benn expects his fight with Chris Eubank Jr to go ahead, despite being "prohibited" by the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) after he failed a drug test.

    Saturday's bout at London's O2 Arena was placed in jeopardy on Wednesday after it was revealed Benn had tested positive for female fertility drug clomifene.

    The positive sample showed up in one of welterweight fighter Benn's recent tests, leading to the BBBofC to state that the fight was "not in the interests of boxing".

    But Benn continued with his preparations as planned on Wednesday by taking part in an open workout session and feels the showdown will go ahead as planned. 

    "I've not committed any violations and I've not been suspended, so as far as I'm concerned the fight is still going ahead," he told Matchroom's YouTube channel.

    "I've signed up to every voluntary anti-doping test under the sun. Throughout my whole career I'm tested and I've always come back negative. I've never had any issues before. 

    "My team will find out why there has been an initial adverse finding, but as far as I'm concerned the fight is going ahead. I'm a clean athlete and we'll get to the bottom of this."

    Matchroom, Benn's representatives, had earlier said his "B sample had yet to be tested, meaning there is no rule violation and he is not suspended".

    Benn added that he has spoken to Eubank Jr personally and that both "want the fight to happen for the fans".

    However, speaking at his own workout, Eubank Jr said: "There was no phone call [with Benn]. We haven't spoken. 

    "No phone call. We haven't spoken since this has been announced, and it's a shame you know. But my promoters, his promoters, the BBBofC they are going to sort this out."

    The Eubank-Benn rivalry goes back over 30 years, with the fighters' respective fathers – Chris Eubank Sr and Nigel Benn – having fought in 1990 and 1993.

    Eubank Sr won the first fight, with the second finishing as a split draw.

  • Eubank Jr-Benn fight 'prohibited' after positive drugs test Eubank Jr-Benn fight 'prohibited' after positive drugs test

    Chris Eubank Jr is unlikely to face Conor Benn as planned after the latter returned a positive test for the banned substance clomifene.

    The bout was initially placed in jeopardy after welterweight fighter Benn tested positive for clomifene following a drugs test by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.

    This was confirmed in a joint statement from Wasserman Boxing and Matchroom on Wednesday, though it was suggested the fight would still go ahead as scheduled.

    However, the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) subsequently confirmed the bout would not take place.

    A BBBofC statement read: "On the evening of 4th October 2022, the Board of the British Boxing Board of Control Limited resolved that the contest between Chris Eubank Jr. and Conor Benn scheduled to take place on 8th October 2022 is prohibited as it is not in the interests of Boxing.

    "That was communicated to the Boxers and Promoters involved on the morning of 5th October 2022."

    Matchroom, Benn's representatives, had earlier said: "The B Sample had yet to be tested, meaning there is no rule violation. He is not suspended, and he remains free to fight. Mr Benn has passed all doping control tests conducted by the UK Anti-Doping Agency (UKAD)."

    Eddie Hearn has since confirmed lawyers are in discussions with the BBBofC to try and ensure that the fight can take place.

    A sold-out crowd had been expected to be in attendance for the event at the O2 Arena in London. 

    The Eubank-Benn rivalry goes back over 30 years, with the fighters' respective fathers – Chris Eubank Sr and Nigel Benn – having fought in 1990 and 1993.

    Eubank Sr won the first fight, with the second finishing as a split draw.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.