NBA

Griffin says there's 'definitely unfinished business' for star-studded Brooklyn Nets

By Sports Desk August 12, 2021

Brooklyn Nets forward Blake Griffin says there is a sense of "unfinished business" within the roster ahead of the 2021-22 NBA season.

The star-studded Nets bowed out of the NBA playoffs to eventual champions, the Milwaukee Bucks, in the Eastern Conference semi-finals 4-3.

Brooklyn were not helped by injuries to two, Kyrie Irving and James Harden, of their 'Big Three' down the stretch.

The Nets had been earmarked as title favourites following the acquisition of Harden from the Houston Rockets in January, with six-time NBA All-Star Griffin joining for the Detroit Pistons in March, and the latter said there was unfinished business after falling short.

"We obviously didn’t accomplish what we wanted," Griffin said during a video news conference. "You can say injuries, but every team had injuries.

"We feel like there’s definitely unfinished business. There’s something bigger that we want to achieve, and I still want to be a part of that."

Griffin, who became the first player in free agency to re-sign earlier this week, was confident the Nets can claim the NBA championship.

“Yeah, I think so. I think so," he said. "Obviously there’s a lot of work to do, a lot of work to be done.

"Can’t take anything for granted. But I like our team. I like the guys we have, I like our coaching staff, I like everything we’ve put together. I believe in us."

Star forward Kevin Durant re-committed to the Nets earlier this week on a bumper four-year extension believed to be worth $198million.

Former NBA Rookie of the Year Griffin, who is now 32, added that Durant's extension helped him decide to ink a minimum one-year deal.

"I mean, obviously, it’s comforting to know that the guy of that caliber is locked in," Griffin said. "KD’s kind of like that piece that brought everything together."

Brooklyn have also added guard Patty Mills from the San Antonio Spurs, fresh from leading Australia to a breakthrough bronze medal at Tokyo 2020.

"Patty adds just dynamic shooting," Griffin said. "That’s always a need for us, but also just a veteran point guard who playing against him, it seems like he’s always like that guy that comes up with a big play, - defense, offense, whatever - hits a big shot.

"He’s also a guy that can facilitate and you know, get in the teeth of defense makes the right decisions. Just a really good basketball player."

Related items

  • Mavs confident Irving will be fit for start of NBA season after hand surgery Mavs confident Irving will be fit for start of NBA season after hand surgery

    Kyrie Irving has undergone surgery on a broken hand, but is expected to be fit for the start of next season.

    Irving was part of the Dallas Mavericks team that reached the NBA Finals, only to go down to the dominant Boston Celtics.

    The 32-year-old sustained his injury while training earlier in July, and has now gone through surgery to fix the issue.

    Posting on X, Irving wrote: "Tribe, Thank you for all the messages and prayers. God truly knew that I needed to take a break from basketball after the long season and give myself some time to heal.

    "I am in love with getting better at my craft, but now I must rest and recover."

    While the Mavs did not confirm a timetable for Irving's return, it has been reported he is anticipated to return to action in around two and a half months.

    The 2024-25 season is set to begin in October.

    Irving averaged 25.6 points per game in the regular season across 2023-24.

    The Mavs have brought in Klay Thompson as a free agent this off-season.

  • The Open: McIlroy looking to respond after Nadal and Jordan support following Pinehurst setback The Open: McIlroy looking to respond after Nadal and Jordan support following Pinehurst setback

    Rory McIlroy insists his U.S. Open capitulation is behind him as he aims to respond at The Open Championship, backed by support from two sporting stars.

    The Northern Irishman collapsed in remarkable fashion at Pinehurst, missing two simple putts as Bryson DeChambeau sneaked in to profit and win the major.

    Spanish tennis great Rafael Nadal and NBA legend Michael Jordan both reached out to McIlroy in the aftermath of that disappointment.

    The 35-year-old has now racked up four runners-up finishes in majors since his last such victory at the PGA Championship in 2014.

    Yet McIlroy is intent on responding when The Open returns at Royal Troon this week.

    "Rafa Nadal and Michael Jordan," McIlroy told The Guardian. "Two of the most unbelievable competitors that have ever been in sport.

    "MJ was maybe the first person to text me after I missed the putt on the 18th but both of them got in touch very, very quickly. They just told me to keep going. MJ reminded me of how many game-winning shots he missed. Really nice."

    The four-time major champion scored bogeys on three of his final four holes during his U.S. Open downfall.

    "Was it a great opportunity to win a major? Absolutely," McIlroy added of his short-putting nightmare. "It hurt and in the moment it was tough, terrible.

    "I'd say people would be surprised to see how quickly I got over it and moved on."

    McIlroy subsequently took a short break before returning at the Scottish Open last week, finishing tied for fourth place at the Renaissance Club.

    "Maybe the one drawback from me not talking [to media] afterwards was that you got three weeks of speculation," McIlroy said, referring to his swift exit at Pinehurst. 

    "He should have done this, should have done that but we will never know because he didn't say. I trust the people around me. I don't need to go looking for external counsel.

    "If the tournament ended after 68 holes, people would be calling me the best golfer in the world. You have to be an eternal optimist. Say you play 25 events a year and win three of those. You are one of the best players in history. We lose way more than we win.

    "Yes, I was in a great winning position and should have won but it's not the first time I have let something slip away. It's probably not going to be the last.

    "You have to look at it on the continuum. It was tough but it is one tournament, I play 23-25 per year. You have to keep going.

    "The great thing about this game is you have an opportunity to get back on the horse right after a tough loss. You try to learn from it and do better next time."

  • KFC Basketball Star Search Camp tips off at GC Foster College on Monday, July 15 KFC Basketball Star Search Camp tips off at GC Foster College on Monday, July 15

    The Jamaica Basketball Association's annual KFC Basketball Star Search Camp is set to tip off on Monday, July 15, at the GC Foster College in St. Catherine. The event, which begins at 11 a.m., will gather the top 120 youth basketball players from across the island, aged 12 to 20, providing them with a unique opportunity to hone their skills, interact with mentors, and prepare for potential scholarship opportunities.

    This highly anticipated camp is known for its comprehensive approach to player development. Participants will benefit from the expertise of both overseas and local coaches who will guide them through various drills and competitions. The camp's itinerary includes general fitness tests, skills assessments, special drill stations, a 3-point shooting contest, and both 3x3 and full-court team competitions.

    Beyond the court, the camp places a strong emphasis on holistic development. Campers will engage in life skills sessions, receive nutrition tips, learn about anti-doping guidelines, and partake in cultural presentations. This multifaceted approach aims to prepare young athletes not only for the demands of basketball but also for the broader challenges they may face in life.

    One of the highlights of the camp is the presence of overseas coaches and scouts, who will be on hand to offer scholarships and provide valuable insights into the criteria and requirements necessary to maintain these offers. This exposure is crucial for young players aspiring to continue their education and basketball careers in North America.

    The KFC Basketball Star Search Camp has a rich history of over 20 years, during which it has been instrumental in the development of numerous young Jamaican basketball talents. Many of these players have successfully transitioned into high schools, junior colleges, and universities in North America, thanks in part to the foundation laid by this camp.

    This year's camp is supported by several notable sponsors, including KFC, The Bob Marley Foundation, Gatorade, and the Sports Development Foundation. Their contributions ensure the continued success and impact of the camp, fostering the next generation of Jamaican basketball stars.

    As the camp kicks off on Monday, the excitement and anticipation are palpable. With a blend of skill development, mentorship, and holistic growth opportunities, the KFC Basketball Star Search Camp promises to be a transformative experience for all participants.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.