NBA

Curry says Warriors built the NBA's last great dynasty after Thompson exit

By Sports Desk July 08, 2024

Stephen Curry believes the dynasty built by the Golden State Warriors throughout his career will be the last of its kind in the NBA.

Curry has won four NBA championships with the Warriors since being drafted seventh overall in 2009, leading them to glory in 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2022. 

Golden State missed the playoffs for just the third time in the last 12 seasons in 2023-24, finishing 46-36 then losing a Play-In tie against the Sacramento Kings.

Between 2014 and 2022, the Warriors made the NBA Finals on six occasions, having failed to do so in 39 years after winning the 1974-75 championship.

Klay Thompson and Draymond Green have, alongside Curry, formed the spine of the Warriors' lineup throughout that period, but the former left for the Dallas Mavericks last week after 13 years in San Francisco.

Speaking to ESPN's Malika Andrews, Curry said: "Obviously defining a dynasty can take a lot of different looks.

"People thought this was over in 2019, but 2022 was an amazing championship because we defied the odds. That's 11 years, almost 12 years, of championship relevancy built around a certain core."

Asked whether the Warriors' achievements during that period will be replicated, Curry said: "I don't think it will, just because it's very hard to keep things together in this league. There's a lot more player movement. 

"Me, Klay and Draymond, we complemented each other so well for so long. We all brought something different to the table, so we'll see. 

"Records are meant to be broken. Dynasties come in all different shapes and sizes, so we'll see."

While Thompson has made the decision to leave the Bay Area, Curry – who has two years remaining on his own contract – wants to stick around for the rest of his career, as long as the team can be competitive.

"Being in one place for my whole career, I know it's really hard to do that," he said. "I want to be greedy and say we can be relevant and be in the mix and give ourselves a realistic chance to win while I'm still growing these grey hairs and doing high school visits in the Bay for my daughter. 

"It's crazy. It's just the nature of where I'm at. But yes, all that is to say I love the Bay and the Bay is home and I never want that to change."

Related items

  • KFC Jamaica fuels the future of basketball with JMD$4.5 million investment in youth camps KFC Jamaica fuels the future of basketball with JMD$4.5 million investment in youth camps

    Young basketball players across Jamaica are set to score big this summer, thanks to a continued sponsorship from quick service restaurant giant, KFC Jamaica. The company has reaffirmed its commitment to local basketball with a substantial $4.5 million investment in the 2024 Jumpball Basketball Programme and the Jamaica Basketball Association (JaBA) Star Search Basketball & Life Skills Camp. These pivotal sporting initiatives aim to nurture the next generation of basketball talent in Jamaica, benefiting over 400 young male and female players, ages 8 to 18.

    Marketing Manager for Restaurants of Jamaica, Andrei Roper, expressed KFC’s enthusiasm for supporting these initiatives. “Jamaica’s youth have always excelled at sports, particularly basketball. Over the years, we have witnessed the tremendous growth and impact of local basketball programmes such as Jumpball and Star Search on our young players, and we remain committed to consistently extending our support. We are excited to be a part of projects that are as dedicated to youth development as we are at KFC. We value our long-standing partnership with these programmes and appreciate their efforts in supporting youth education and basketball futures. Ensuring their continued growth is a priority for us.”

    Through this partnership, KFC will encourage young athletes to take full advantage of the expertise provided by some of the best coaches available, creating opportunities to secure their basketball and educational futures. This includes scholarships to study and play overseas and even the chance to play basketball professionally at the highest level.

    This year, KFC has contributed support packages amounting to $2 million in cash and $1 million in meal sponsorship to the JaBA Star Search Basketball & Life Skills Camp, which will be hosted from July 14 to 19 at the GC Foster College in St. Catherine. KFC’s cash support will assist in accommodation expenses for players and local and visiting coaches, transportation, training equipment, speaker and presenter incentives, and other costs for the 120 campers.

    “We welcome the continued support of KFC because without them, we could not deliver such an amazing opportunity to our campers. Through this partnership, we will continue to position our young players for the opportunity to grow and excel beyond borders. In the past, hundreds of our players have received scholarships for university and high schools overseas and we just want to continue doing that,” said President of the JaBA, Paulton Gordon.

    Jamaica’s longest-running basketball programme, the Jumpball Basketball Camp, has also benefited from a donation of $500,000 in cash and $1 million in meal support from KFC. The camp kicks off in Kingston with the corporate area camp running from July 8 to 11. In keeping with its tradition, the camp will move to other parishes including St. Elizabeth, St. Mary, Manchester, St. Ann, and St. James from July 26 to August 31.

    Jumpball Senior Coach, Rohan Robinson, shared, “We are grateful to KFC for extending support to our program for yet another execution. We aim to make summer memorable for young athletes and we could not do it without the help of KFC.”

    KFC remains committed to nurturing the talents and aspirations of young Jamaicans, ensuring a brighter future through sports and education. This continued support not only provides young athletes with the resources they need to excel but also inspires them to strive for greatness, both on and off the court.

    As the camps gear up to start, the excitement among young basketball enthusiasts is palpable. With the backing of KFC, these budding athletes are poised to make significant strides in their sporting journeys, bringing pride and success to Jamaica’s basketball community.

     

     

     

     


    C

     

     

     

  • Pistons, Cunningham agree to maximum rookie extension Pistons, Cunningham agree to maximum rookie extension

    The Detroit Pistons and former No. 1 overall pick Cade Cunningham have agreed to terms on a five-year, $224million maximum rookie contract extension.

    The deal could be worth up to $269million if Cunningham earns All-NBA honours in 2024-25.

    Cunningham played one season at Oklahoma State before Detroit selected him No. 1 overall in the 2021 NBA Draft.

    He earned First-Team All-Rookie honours in 2021-22 after averaging 17.4 points, 5.6 assists and 5.5 rebounds in 64 games.

    Cunningham appeared in Detroit’s first 12 games in 2022-23 before sustaining a stress fracture in his shin that led to season-ending surgery.

    The 22-year-old point guard bounced back last season, averaging team highs of 22.7 points and 7.5 assists while adding 4.3 rebounds per game in 62 contests.

    The Pistons, though, posted an NBA-worst 14-68 record, and Detroit is last in the league with a .220 winning percentage (54-192) since drafting Cunningham.

    In the 138 games Cunningham has played in his career, the Pistons have gone 32-106.

  • 'I didn't want to leave LA' - George unhappy with Clippers' 'disrespectful' contract offers 'I didn't want to leave LA' - George unhappy with Clippers' 'disrespectful' contract offers

    Paul George admitted he did not want to leave the Los Angeles Clippers, but felt his hand was forced when he was offered a "disrespectful" first contract extension offer.

    Last week, George signed a four-year maximum contract reportedly worth $212million for the Philadelphia 76ers.

    However, the nine-time All-Star's move happened after he failed to come to an agreement with the Clippers over a new contract.

    "I never wanted to leave L.A.," George said on his podcast, 'Podcast P with Paul George'.

    "L.A. is home, this is where I wanted to finish at, and I wanted to work as hard as possible to win one in L.A.

    "That was the goal, to be here and be committed to L.A. As it played out though, the first initial deal was, I thought, kind of disrespectful.

    "In all of this, no hard feelings, no love lost...it's a business. So, the first initial deal was like two years, 60. So I'm like, whoa, whoa, whoa.

    "That's crazy! I'm like, 'Naw, I'm not signing that'."

    The Clippers gave Kawhi Leonard a three-year $150million extension, something George said they refused to give him if he had a no-trade clause attached.

    "Then I hear wind of what they're going to give Kawhi, so I'm like, 'Just give me what Kawhi got'," George added. "'Y'all view us the same. We came here together; we want to finish this s*** together.'

    "Y'all give him that, give me that. They didn't want to do that."

    The guard, who played 74 regular-season games – his most since being traded to Los Angeles before the 2019-20 season – acknowledged his link-up with Leonard did not quite go as planned but had hoped to build on it in the future.

    "We couldn't remain healthy as a unit," George said. "But I thought I did enough to earn that [three-year, $150-million deal with a no-trade clause].

    "They didn't want to do it. So, it was just a stalemate. Ultimately it was like, all right, that ship has sailed.

    "I love Steve [Ballmer], I love Lawrence [Frank], but at that point, it didn't even feel right to come back with that type of energy and be comfortable playing back in L.A."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.