NBA

'Everybody wants to see our team fail' - Kevin Durant reflects on disappointing Nets loss to the 76ers

By Sports Desk November 23, 2022

Kevin Durant feels "everybody" wants to see the Brooklyn Nets fail after Ben Simmons' homecoming against the undermanned Philadelphia 76ers ended in a disappointing 115-106 road defeat on Tuesday.

The 76ers were missing Joel Embiid, James Harden and Tyrese Maxey through injury, but they were able to catch fire from deep, shooting 50 per cent from the three-point line (16-of-32).

In a hostile environment for the Nets, the Philadelphia crowd aggressively booed Simmons every time he touched the ball, although he performed well, collecting 11 points, 11 assists, seven rebounds, three blocks and three steals.

For the 76ers, Tobias Harris stepped up into an increased workload and delivered a team-high 24 points on 10-of-21 shooting, while De'Anthony Melton, Georges Niang and Shake Milton combined for 54 points on 12-of-19 from long-range.

It was a golden opportunity for the full-strength Nets to pull their record even at 9-9, but they are now two games below .500 at 8-10.

When asked if he felt the crowd took extra delight in getting one over Simmons and the Nets, Durant said he feels every away crowd has added animosity towards his team.

"It's a lot of emotions [for Simmons coming back to Philadelphia], you always want to play well," he said. "You know the fans are going to be involved… and bring their best. 

"But that's at every arena, everybody wants to see our team fail – nobody likes Ben, nobody likes 'Ky' [Irving], nobody likes myself – so it might be like that at every road arena.

"It's just something we've got to deal with, but I thought [Simmons] did a great job at handling it and playing his game. We had a chance to win, but we just didn't."

Durant added that he did not feel the Nets played a poor defensive game, but were too slow to adjust to the 76ers' hot shooting.

"It's the same s***," he said. "They had 20 more shots than us, and seven more three-pointers. That's the game.

"[We have to] just go do it. Just go do what we need to do. Rebound, box out, move the ball, guard up one-on-one.

"They shot 43 per cent from the field, which is not bad. But they shot 50 per cent from the three-point line, and a lot of those were crossover, step-back threes – they're just back-breakers. 

"I wouldn't necessarily say we had a horrible defensive night, but they out-rebounded us – 20 offensive rebounds – and they made 16 threes, and it looked bad.

"We would make them shoot a tough shot, they get a rebound and hit a three. We botch a switch maybe, and a guy gets a little bit of space and he shoots over a contest. They knocked them down tonight.

"Early on we should have seen they were hot, so we had to get up into them and force them inside the three-point line.

"But they played free, and they had nothing to lose, so those shots are just going to feel better when they leave their hands. We had to make them miss tonight, and they hit them, you have to give them credit."

Related items

  • Mavs confident Irving will be fit for start of NBA season after hand surgery Mavs confident Irving will be fit for start of NBA season after hand surgery

    Kyrie Irving has undergone surgery on a broken hand, but is expected to be fit for the start of next season.

    Irving was part of the Dallas Mavericks team that reached the NBA Finals, only to go down to the dominant Boston Celtics.

    The 32-year-old sustained his injury while training earlier in July, and has now gone through surgery to fix the issue.

    Posting on X, Irving wrote: "Tribe, Thank you for all the messages and prayers. God truly knew that I needed to take a break from basketball after the long season and give myself some time to heal.

    "I am in love with getting better at my craft, but now I must rest and recover."

    While the Mavs did not confirm a timetable for Irving's return, it has been reported he is anticipated to return to action in around two and a half months.

    The 2024-25 season is set to begin in October.

    Irving averaged 25.6 points per game in the regular season across 2023-24.

    The Mavs have brought in Klay Thompson as a free agent this off-season.

  • The Open: McIlroy looking to respond after Nadal and Jordan support following Pinehurst setback The Open: McIlroy looking to respond after Nadal and Jordan support following Pinehurst setback

    Rory McIlroy insists his U.S. Open capitulation is behind him as he aims to respond at The Open Championship, backed by support from two sporting stars.

    The Northern Irishman collapsed in remarkable fashion at Pinehurst, missing two simple putts as Bryson DeChambeau sneaked in to profit and win the major.

    Spanish tennis great Rafael Nadal and NBA legend Michael Jordan both reached out to McIlroy in the aftermath of that disappointment.

    The 35-year-old has now racked up four runners-up finishes in majors since his last such victory at the PGA Championship in 2014.

    Yet McIlroy is intent on responding when The Open returns at Royal Troon this week.

    "Rafa Nadal and Michael Jordan," McIlroy told The Guardian. "Two of the most unbelievable competitors that have ever been in sport.

    "MJ was maybe the first person to text me after I missed the putt on the 18th but both of them got in touch very, very quickly. They just told me to keep going. MJ reminded me of how many game-winning shots he missed. Really nice."

    The four-time major champion scored bogeys on three of his final four holes during his U.S. Open downfall.

    "Was it a great opportunity to win a major? Absolutely," McIlroy added of his short-putting nightmare. "It hurt and in the moment it was tough, terrible.

    "I'd say people would be surprised to see how quickly I got over it and moved on."

    McIlroy subsequently took a short break before returning at the Scottish Open last week, finishing tied for fourth place at the Renaissance Club.

    "Maybe the one drawback from me not talking [to media] afterwards was that you got three weeks of speculation," McIlroy said, referring to his swift exit at Pinehurst. 

    "He should have done this, should have done that but we will never know because he didn't say. I trust the people around me. I don't need to go looking for external counsel.

    "If the tournament ended after 68 holes, people would be calling me the best golfer in the world. You have to be an eternal optimist. Say you play 25 events a year and win three of those. You are one of the best players in history. We lose way more than we win.

    "Yes, I was in a great winning position and should have won but it's not the first time I have let something slip away. It's probably not going to be the last.

    "You have to look at it on the continuum. It was tough but it is one tournament, I play 23-25 per year. You have to keep going.

    "The great thing about this game is you have an opportunity to get back on the horse right after a tough loss. You try to learn from it and do better next time."

  • KFC Basketball Star Search Camp tips off at GC Foster College on Monday, July 15 KFC Basketball Star Search Camp tips off at GC Foster College on Monday, July 15

    The Jamaica Basketball Association's annual KFC Basketball Star Search Camp is set to tip off on Monday, July 15, at the GC Foster College in St. Catherine. The event, which begins at 11 a.m., will gather the top 120 youth basketball players from across the island, aged 12 to 20, providing them with a unique opportunity to hone their skills, interact with mentors, and prepare for potential scholarship opportunities.

    This highly anticipated camp is known for its comprehensive approach to player development. Participants will benefit from the expertise of both overseas and local coaches who will guide them through various drills and competitions. The camp's itinerary includes general fitness tests, skills assessments, special drill stations, a 3-point shooting contest, and both 3x3 and full-court team competitions.

    Beyond the court, the camp places a strong emphasis on holistic development. Campers will engage in life skills sessions, receive nutrition tips, learn about anti-doping guidelines, and partake in cultural presentations. This multifaceted approach aims to prepare young athletes not only for the demands of basketball but also for the broader challenges they may face in life.

    One of the highlights of the camp is the presence of overseas coaches and scouts, who will be on hand to offer scholarships and provide valuable insights into the criteria and requirements necessary to maintain these offers. This exposure is crucial for young players aspiring to continue their education and basketball careers in North America.

    The KFC Basketball Star Search Camp has a rich history of over 20 years, during which it has been instrumental in the development of numerous young Jamaican basketball talents. Many of these players have successfully transitioned into high schools, junior colleges, and universities in North America, thanks in part to the foundation laid by this camp.

    This year's camp is supported by several notable sponsors, including KFC, The Bob Marley Foundation, Gatorade, and the Sports Development Foundation. Their contributions ensure the continued success and impact of the camp, fostering the next generation of Jamaican basketball stars.

    As the camp kicks off on Monday, the excitement and anticipation are palpable. With a blend of skill development, mentorship, and holistic growth opportunities, the KFC Basketball Star Search Camp promises to be a transformative experience for all participants.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.