MLS

Wright-Phillips signs one-day contract to finish career at New York Red Bulls

By Sports Desk March 12, 2022

Former New York Red Bulls forward Bradley Wright-Phillips has re-signed with the club on a one-day contract, in order to officially finish his career and retire with the MLS outfit.

The ex-attacker is set to move to a new role in Harrison as Special Assistant to the Sporting Director, after two seasons with Los Angeles FC and Columbus Crew respectively.

After confirming his retirement this week, the two-time Golden Boot winner has now officially signed off with the side he helped fire to a hat-trick of Supporters' Shield triumphs over a seven-year stint.

"It wouldn’t have felt right retiring somewhere else, especially in America, it wouldn’t have felt right," Wright-Phillips said in a statement. "I am honoured to get the opportunity to retire here, it means a lot to me."

Sporting Director Denis Hamlett, who Wright-Phillips will link up with, paid further tribute, adding: "There was no question in our minds to bring Brad back to the club following his retirement.

"The expansive experience that Brad brings from the field will be helpful in the development with our young players, while at the same time, Brad getting crucial experience on the sporting side for his own professional development."

Having broken through alongside brother Shaun at Manchester City, Wright-Phillips spent several seasons in the second and third tiers of English football, claiming the League One crown with Charlton Athletic in 2011-2012.

But it was in MLS where he made his name, joining the Red Bulls ahead of the 2013 season and helping to establish them as regular contenders.

He still holds the record for the most goals at the club, with 125, and won the Supporters' Shield on three occasions, in 2013, 2015 and 2018.

Related items

  • Lucy Bronze to leave Man City as England Lionesses star is linked with move to USA Lucy Bronze to leave Man City as England Lionesses star is linked with move to USA

    England star Lucy Bronze has called time on her Manchester City career after a second stint with the Women's Super League outfit.

    Bronze, who won FIFA's The Best Women's Player Award in 2020, is set for a crucial role with her country when England host the European Championship in July.

    The Telegraph reported last week that 30-year-old Bronze has received offers from clubs in the United States and is considering a move to a team on the west coast.

    She has been spending time in California this week, according to pictures posted on her Instagram account.

    City said in a statement on Thursday: "Manchester City can confirm that defender Lucy Bronze will depart the club at the end of her current contract this summer.

    "The defender will bring the curtain down on her second spell at the Academy Stadium and five years altogether in sky blue next month, having made 111 appearances and scored 14 goals."

    Bronze has been a league and Women's FA Cup winner with City, but her greatest run of success came in a three-year spell at Lyon, where she helped the French giants land the Champions League three times.

    Scotland midfielder Caroline Weir is also leaving City, the club said this week, while versatile forward Georgia Stanway has agreed to join Bayern Munich.

  • Rumour Has It: PSG to make late play for Tchouameni Rumour Has It: PSG to make late play for Tchouameni

    As if the protracted transfer saga for Kylian Mbappe was not arduous enough, new transfer battle lines are being drawn for PSG and Real Madrid.

    The need to rejuvenate Madrid's squad has been identified despite their LaLiga title win and progression to this season's Champions League final.

    According to reports, however, they should prepare for not having everything their way again, with a new player in mind.

    TOP STORY – PSG TO MAKE LATE PLAY FOR TCHOUAMENI    

    PSG are preparing to make a late bid for Monaco's Aurelien Tchouameni in an attempt to snatch him from Real Madrid , according to Goal.

    The 22-year-old Monaco star is almost certain to leave the Principality this off-season, but his destination remains unclear.

    Madrid have reportedly been in talks with Monaco over a prospective transfer for over a year, but have not yet completed the deal.

    Kylian Mbappe was believed to have recommended Tchouameni when he was in talks over a move to the Santiago Bernabeu himself.

    Now Mbappe has decided to stay in the French capital, it has accelerated the race to sign Tchouameni.

    ROUND-UP

    – Chelsea are considering a move for RB Leipzig's Christopher Nkunku, according to Goal.

    Arsenal target Tammy Abraham insists he is happy at Roma but would not rule out a move back to the Premier League, per Metro.

    – In need of a striker, Tuttosport reports the Gunners are also monitoring Alvaro Morata's situation, with his loan deal at Juventus expiring this off-season.

    – Tottenham are targeting Inter centre-back Alessandro Bastoni, with Manchester United also interested, according to the Gazzetta dello Sport.

  • Smalling, Abraham rejoice in Roma Conference League final win Smalling, Abraham rejoice in Roma Conference League final win

    Chris Smalling and Tammy Abraham both revelled in Roma's Europa Conference League triumph after defeating Feyenoord 1-0 in Wednesday's final in Tirana.

    Nicolo Zaniolo's lone goal proved the difference for the Giallorossi, chesting Gianluca Mancini's pass over the top of the defence to poke the ball home past Justin Bijlow in the 32nd minute.

    While Abraham top-scored for the team over the tournament with nine goals, Smalling turned in a man-of-the-match performance at centre-back to help secure Roma's maiden European trophy.

    One of the first in a modern wave of Englishmen playing abroad in Europe's top five leagues, Smalling was well aware of Roma's continental drought, insisting it motivated the team.

    "We knew how much it was going to mean to everybody in Rome, and you can see how together we are, everybody fought until the end," Smalling told BT Sport.

    "We had to do that on a few occasions this year, we dropped a bit deeper than we maybe wanted to but we knew we had to do everything. You could see, strikers running back, everybody defending and we knew we had to win.

    "Even when I first came to the club it had been a long time since they won a trophy, you can hear the fans. We knew how much it was going to mean, you can see we've got some of the best fans."

    Abraham had previously stated he was reticent to play in the Serie A, believing it would take him out of the frame for England selection.

    With 27 goals in 52 games in all competitions this season, Abraham is part of Gareth Southgate's squad for the June international window along with Fikayo Tomori, who this weekend wrapped up the Serie A title with Milan.

    The 24-year-old Abraham believes Roma deserved their victory on the night, while his reception in Italy has inspired him.

    "One thing I said when I came here was I was going to help the team get to the final and one day I want to win a trophy," Abraham also told BT Sport. "In my first season I have achieved that.

    "Credit to my team-mates, excellent performances. We deserve it. We have worked hard all year.

    "I love them (the fans). From day one I came here it has been the best. We are champions, I am happy to be a part of the team, now it is time to celebrate and enjoy."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.