Grenada and Qatar face off for the first time in Group D action on Saturday

By concacaf.com July 16, 2021

After making their Concacaf Gold Cup return and debut respectively, Grenada and Qatar face off for the first time as Group D action resumes on Saturday night at BBVA Stadium in Houston, Texas.

Qatar took a point from its back and forth encounter with Panama while Grenada suffered a 4-0 defeat to Honduras and will be looking for personal redemption.

It will be the second time Grenada faces off against a member of the Asian Football Confederation while Qatar will face its sixth opponent from Concacaf.

Jamal Charles remains the player to watch for the Spice Boys with 10 goals to his name, six of them in the Concacaf Nations League - the second most in League B. Omar Beckles, who had a goal-saving header on Tuesday night, was the player with the most shots against Honduras with three.

Qatar got rolling offensively against Panama thanks to their two stars, 24-year-old forwards Akram Afif and Almoez Ali. Afif had a goal and an assist in the 3-3 draw with the Central Americans.

Team captain Hassan Al Haydos joined the scoring from the penalty spot, putting all three of Qatar’s top 10 all-time scorers on the scoresheet. Al Haydos and Ali both have five goals in their previous 10 appearances.

A win would catapult either side into the top spots in the group, setting it up in the driver’s seat going into its final group stage match. If either side were to take the full three points, it would mark that nation's first Gold Cup victory.

Grenada has also never tied in seven previous matches at the Gold Cup. Qatar has yet to lose a match after tying in their debut last Tuesday.

Saturday’s Group D matches will be in front of a capacity crowd in Houston as Grenada and Qatar face off before Honduras versus Panama.

 

Related items

  • Hazard 'bit sad' with Chelsea decision to sack Pochettino Hazard 'bit sad' with Chelsea decision to sack Pochettino

    Eden Hazard "was a bit sad" to see Chelsea part company with head coach Mauricio Pochettino after just one season in charge.

    Pochettino left Chelsea by mutual consent last week after a trophyless campaign and a sixth-place finish in the Premier League.

    Chelsea great Hazard, who spent seven years at Stamford Bridge, believes the former Tottenham boss deserved more time.

    "I was a bit sad," he told talkSPORT. "I think he did a great job. I know people want Chelsea to be in the top four but it’s a season of transition. 

    "He's a great manager. I wish him good luck and let's see who is going to be there in the future."

    Chelsea are reported to have whittled their shortlist to four names - Thomas Frank, Kieran McKenna, Roberto De Zerbi and Enzo Maresca

    However, Hazard cheekily suggested that former Chelsea team-mate Cesc Fabregas could be an option for the Blues.

    Fabregas is working as an assistant manager with Italian side Como and helped guide them to Serie A promotion this season.

    Asked about possible contenders for the job, Hazard said: "I have my friend in Como. He can be the first manager."

  • Inzaghi 'not worried' about Lautaro future ahead of meeting new Inter owners Inzaghi 'not worried' about Lautaro future ahead of meeting new Inter owners

    Simone Inzaghi says he is "not worried" about Lautaro Martinez's future, with the Inter skipper yet to sign a new contract at San Siro.

    The Argentina international, who is under contract until 2026, was the top scorer in Serie A with 24 goals, as the Nerazzurri claimed their 20th Scudetto after finishing 19 points clear of second-place Milan.

    Inter are now under new ownership with American firm Oaktree completing their takeover of the club from Suning last week.

    The future of Lautaro will be high on the agenda when Inzaghi meets with the new owners this week, with the skipper's salary demands reportedly delaying negotiations, but the head coach is confident the situation will be resolved.

    "I am not worried because I know the club," he said. "Although the owners have changed, the directors have maintained continuity and will continue to do so."

    Inter concluded a memorable campaign with a 2-2 draw at Verona on Sunday, with Marko Arnautovic's double securing a point, and Inzaghi saluted his players' efforts.

    "We didn't hide ourselves this season," he said. "We said our objective was the second star. We wanted it so badly, knowing that the other four, five, or six contenders wanted the same. We were the best in Italy."

    When asked if the Champions League was the club's main target next season, he added: "We know what it means to play so many games. We know it won't be easy, but we'll prepare in the best way."

  • Guardiola 'pretty sure' Grealish will return to peak form Guardiola 'pretty sure' Grealish will return to peak form

    Pep Guardiola is "pretty sure" Jack Grealish will return to his form of old in a Manchester City shirt after an underwhelming 2023-24 campaign.

    Grealish was one of the poster boys of City's remarkable treble-winning campaign last year, but he struggled for starts this time around.

    The 28-year-old was an unused substitute in the FA Cup final loss to Manchester United and did not feature at all in City's final four games.

    Jeremy Doku, who joined last August, was instead preferred from the bench at Wembley and scored for City in their 2-1 defeat.

    However, Guardiola believes City's club-record signing will return to his best next season.

    "He will be back," Guardiola said. "He’s struggled this season and Jeremy has made an incredible step forward as everyone has seen. 

    "But Jack will be back at the level of last season, I'm pretty sure."

    City became the first club in English football to win four top-flight titles in a row, but they fell short in the Champions League and FA Cup, as well as the EFL Cup.

    Star midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has just one year to run on his contract, while others - goalkeeper Ederson among them - have been linked with a move away.

    The reigning Premier League champions will also no doubt be looking to bring in new players as they prepare to defend their title once again.

    "I know some players have to take a decision on whether they stay with us and some players might come," Guardiola said after the defeat to fierce rivals United.

    "My sporting director says everything is fine for next year but right now, I don't know what might happen."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.