Cayon Rockets blanks Newtown United 2-0 in rescheduled match to go top SKNFA Premier League table

By SKNFA/SKN News Network March 02, 2023
Williams followed up his hat-trick last week with a four-goal effort against Security Forces FC. Williams followed up his hat-trick last week with a four-goal effort against Security Forces FC. SKNFA/SKN News Network

Flow 4G Cayon Rockets defeated Honda Newtown United 2-0 on Monday in their rescheduled match in the St. Kitts and Nevis Premier League and move to the top of the table.

In the match played at the Newtown Sporting Complex, Carlos Bertie gave the visitors the lead in the 22nd minute. Malik Hendrickson added the second in the 39th minute that gave his side the three points and a spot atop the Premier League table on nine points.

Winning coach Al Edwards said victory was achieved because his team stuck to the game plan.

“We got early chances, scoring just two out of three or four. At half-time, we just wanted to be cautious, not too overly aggressive. Be careful, protect what you got,” he explained.

He said the strategy in the second half was to absorb pressure and try and get another goal. That plan changed, he said, when their main striker got injured. “It’s an overall good fight. Sometimes you have to (win) ugly, sometimes it can’t go all your way but you have (the points) and that’s what really matters.”

Newtown’s Anthony Nets Isaac said the team defended poorly in the first half but they responded well in the second half.

“In the first half we allowed the game to get away from us due to poor marking in the defensive area but we went in (at halftime), came back and totally dominated the second half of the game. It’s just that we didn’t get the goals we wanted,” Isaac said.

On Sunday, Hotsprings Bath United got their first win of the season when they defeated Fast Cash Saddlers 1-0 at the Warner Park.

 Chris Browne scored in the 49th minute from a corner kick.

Bath’s Coach Alex Claxton was obviously elated at the result.

“We are very, very happy. We worked really hard for this win and I just want to congratulate the players in putting in the work in the course of the week and today it paid off,” Claxon said.

Meanwhile, defending champions S.L. Horsfords St. Paul’s United FC, came back from a slow start to defeat Jones Group Sandy Point FC 3-1 in the second of Sunday’s double header.

Anthony Alves put Sandy Point ahead in the 37th minute but the lead didn’t last long as Dion Taylor’s own goal in first-half stoppage time meant the teams went into the break locked at 1-1.

St Paul’s went ahead late in the second half when Keithroy Freeman netted in the 71st minute before Tahir Jefferson secured all three points when he scored a minute from full time.

Manager of St. Paul’s Austin Lewis said even though they won they are capable of playing better.

“I think we can do better. I think we displayed poor football today,” Lewis said.

Assistant Coach to Sandy Point Kenneth Douglas blamed his team’s mistakes for the loss. “I think that we are beating ourselves so we have to go back to the drawing board on the pitch and commit to certain decisions,” Douglas said.

Tiquanny Williams of MFCR United Old Road Jets was the star of the show Saturday night as he scored four goals to seal a 5-0 demolition of Security Forces FC at the Newtown Playing Field.

Jardel Isaac got the ball rolling when he scored in the 28th minute before Williams took over scoring in the 32nd, 40th,80th & 83rd minutes to complete the rout.

Williams’ four goals comes in the back of the hat-trick he scored last week, making him the leading goal scorer so far in the season.

Assistant Manager of the Old Road team Azariah Vanterpool praised the team for their performance and lauded Williams’ accomplishment.

“Today I would say they played a very good game. We started off a bit shaky but we started to play our own game and in the end we came out victorious,” Vanterpool said, adding that she expects more hat-tricks from Williams this season.

Meanwhile, Coach St. Clair Morris of Security Forces FC, said team preparation has been a challenge. “We are still trying to get our team together in a sense. We had a few challenges with players showing up for practice,” Morris said, adding that this has a lot to do with their work commitments.

In the night’s other match SOL IAS Conaree FC blew an early 2-0 lead in the first half to lose 3-2 to Rams Village Superstars. All the goals were scored in the first half.

Jahleel Warner put Conaree ahead just two minutes into the match and took a 2-0 lead when Kadeen Lewis scored from the penalty spot in the 14th minute.

However, Village would come storming back as Joseph Wilkes pulled one back in the 23rd minute and then Kimaree Rogers pulled them level five minutes later. Shaken, Conaree conceded a third just one minute later when Dahjal Kelly found the back of the net to secure the win.

Both teams had players sent off in the match. Village’s Kimaree Rogers was sent off in the 45th minute for serious foul play. Wazim Howe was shown the red card for violent conducts in the 50th minute.

After the match, Village’s Coach Stephen Clarke hailed the character of his team but said they must get better starts to games.

“If it’s one thing we preach about is starting the game slow. We really want to cut that out,” Clarke said. “We can’t keep doing it every game. At some point in time we have to come out in front.”

Conare’s coach Al Richards was disappointed with the loss but believes his team played well. “We started the game according to plan. We scored early, which we wanted but we made three defensive errors and that was it from there,” Richards said.

Only one match was played Friday night at the Newtown playing field.

Hobson Enterprises Garden Hotspurs and St. Peters FC played to a 1-1 draw.

Shervin Allen scored for Spurs in the 30th minute with his team dominating the first half. But in the second half, St. Peters rose to the occasion and dominated possession, pressing for the equalizer.

In the end, Shevene Boston scored a stunning strike from outside the area giving St. Peters a well-deserved equalizer.

Related items

  • Tottenham chief Paratici faces uncertain future after ban extended worldwide by FIFA Tottenham chief Paratici faces uncertain future after ban extended worldwide by FIFA

    Tottenham managing director of football Fabio Paratici's future at the club has been cast into doubt after his ban by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) was extended worldwide by FIFA.

    Paratici was one of 11 individuals connected with Juventus who were issued with bans by the FIGC in January after the club was found guilty of false accounting in relation to transfer dealings.

    Juventus were also docked 15 points as part of the punishment.

    Paratici and Juventus denied any wrongdoing, with an appeal against the initial sanctions imposed by the FIGC to be heard by the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) on April 19.

    Despite his 30-month ban, Spurs director Paratici was able to continue his role with the Premier League club because the suspension only applied to Italian Football. 

    However, FIFA confirmed on Wednesday the bans handed out by the FIGC have been extended worldwide, meaning Paratici will be unable to fulfil his duties at Spurs unless his appeal is successful. 

    A widely reported FIFA statement read: "FIFA can confirm that following a request by the FIGC, the chairperson of the FIFA disciplinary committee has decided to extend the sanctions imposed by the FIGC on several football officials to have worldwide effect."

    The news comes just three days after the sacking of Spurs head coach Antonio Conte, with the Italian leaving after 17 months in charge. 

    Paratici, who would have likely played an important in appointing Conte’s replacement, appeared in a video on Tuesday outlining Spurs' plans for the rest of the season and describing the decision to fire the former Inter and Chelsea coach as "the right decision."

  • Fati's father wants son to leave Barcelona despite Ansu's wish to stay Fati's father wants son to leave Barcelona despite Ansu's wish to stay

    Ansu Fati wants to stay at Barcelona, but his father has other ideas.

    The 20-year-old, who has been with the club for a decade, has made 38 appearances in all competitions this season but 27 of them have come as a substitute.

    Bori Fati – who manages his son alongside agent Jorge Mendes – has been left angered by the situation and believes the winger deserves more minutes for Xavi's side.

    "If it was up to me, I would take him [to another team] but [Ansu] wants to stay at Barcelona," Bori Fati told Spanish outlet Cope.

    "He does not want to sign for another club, but I want to see him succeed. As a dad, I am angry.

    "Seeing Ansu play so little winds you up a little bit, and sometimes I think as a father, not a coach."

    Fati, who has scored six goals this season, is under a long-term contract with Barca, who are 12 points clear at the top of LaLiga. 

    And despite his father's wish, Fati has previously stated his desire to remain with Barcelona, where he feels at home. 

    "I'm under contract with Barcelona until June 2027, and I hope to stay here for many more years," he said in February.

    "I feel grateful and lucky to play for Barca and I have to thank the people who support me daily for their backing."

     

    The situation led to Bori calling a meeting with Barcelona sporting director Mateu Alemany, and agent Mendes.

    Alemany reassured him of his son's role at the club, though Bori remains unconvinced the situation will change.

    "I called Mateu," said Bori. "He told us that Ansu is part of the club's heritage, and they have bet big on him.

    "As a dad, I think differently, maybe I am wrong. He is your franchise player, the number 10, he took [that number] on when no one was ready to take it from [Lionel] Messi.

    "What annoys me is how they're treating him in terms of minutes. One minute, two, three.

    "I am not asking for him to be a starter, because all the forwards at the club are phenomenal, but we are talking about Ansu Fati, of Spain and Barcelona, who came through La Masia."

    It is now at the point where Bori no longer wants to visit Camp Nou to watch his son play.

    "If it carries on like this, I will go [back] to [the family home in] Seville and that's that," said Bori.

    "I didn't go to the game against [Real] Madrid. I won't go to the stadium anymore.

    "The other day Ansu asked me why I didn't go, he thought I was there. I told him I didn't fancy it."

  • Conte's Spurs exit no surprise to Vieri: 'He goes into conflict with everyone' Conte's Spurs exit no surprise to Vieri: 'He goes into conflict with everyone'

    Tottenham should not have been surprised by how Antonio Conte's time at the club ended as he "goes into conflict with everyone", says Christian Vieri.

    Conte joined Spurs in November 2021 after the sacking of Nuno Espirito Santo and guided the north London club to a top-four Premier League finish at the end of his first season.

    Despite sitting fourth again this season, performances under Conte were hugely inconsistent with Spurs falling to disappointing exits in the Champions League and FA Cup in recent weeks. 

    Following an explosive press conference in which the Italian labelled his players "selfish", he left the club on Sunday.

    However, the breakdown in relations between Conte and the club was something former Juventus, Inter and Italy striker Vieri was expecting. 

    "Antonio goes into conflict with everyone, it's his character," he told Corriere della Sera.

    "If you take him, you can't expect someone who shuts up and everything is fine with him. He is always on the edge, it's his way of being; you can like it or not, you know who you get.

    "Every two years does he fight with everyone? Yes. Does he always leave with problems? Yes. 

    "You know he's demanding, serious, and it's hard to have him in your club, he doesn't let you sleep peacefully. 

    "They are choices. There are coaches like Conte and Mourinho who hammer at all hours, put pressure and always demand the best. 

    "And then there are those who are fine with anything, they stay there. Everyone trains and sees football in their own way, and it doesn't mean that this or that coach is right."

    Conte's former assistant Cristian Stellini is set to take charge of Tottenham alongside Ryan Mason until the end of the season. 

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.