MLS

New D.C. United boss Rooney rejects 'disrespectful' MLS critics

By Sports Desk July 12, 2022

Wayne Rooney hit out at criticism of his move to the United States, after he was announced as D.C. United's new head coach on Tuesday.

Rooney had previously played for United in 2018 and 2019 before leaving the franchise to join Derby County as a player coach in the Championship.

The 36-year-old kept Derby up after taking over from Phillip Cocu as permanent manager in January 2021 but relegation still loomed, remarkably finishing seven points from safety after a 21-point deduction at the start of last season.

Rooney believes coming back to the MLS to coach is not a backward step, but moreover, that his time at Derby County prepared him for this role.

"I've seen a few articles, certainly back in England, on this being a possible backward step in my managerial career," he said.

"I really find that a bit disrespectful to this league. I feel the experience I've gained at Derby County over the past 18 months has been great for my development as a coach, as a manager.

"To come here back to the MLS, back to D.C. United, was an exciting challenge for me - something which I feel can develop me as a coach."

United face an uphill battle to make the MLS playoffs, sitting nine points from seventh-placed FC Cincinnati in the Eastern Conference, despite two games in hand.

The four-time MLS Cup winners have been without a head coach since April and interim Chad Ashton's tenure reached a nadir last weekend, following a 7-0 defeat to Philadelphia Union.

Ashton will remain in charge until Rooney receives his work visa, but Rooney believes he is more than suited for the task at hand.

"The team need to improve, I think that's obvious for everyone to see," he said. "I really think with my capabilities of developing young players - of course we're working hard to get a few new players in - we can really get this club to successful ways again.

"I'm an ambitious person. One day I want to manage at the top level, and this is part of that process in terms of coming here and trying to develop this club, trying to get success here, but also develop myself as a manager."

Related items

  • Bernardo Silva says Man City 'know what I want' amid Barcelona links Bernardo Silva says Man City 'know what I want' amid Barcelona links

    Bernardo Silva expects any developments around his Manchester City future to be "very respectful" but says the club "know what I want".

    Silva has been an outstanding performer for City since signing from Monaco in 2017, winning four Premier League titles in five years.

    But he has been linked with a move away from the Etihad Stadium in this transfer window, with big-spending Barcelona said to be interested.

    It has been suggested Silva would be keen to join Barca, and the midfielder did not rule out the possibility of a transfer in a wide-ranging interview with ESPN.

    "I've always said that I'm happy here, but I have no idea what's going to happen," Silva said. "We'll see, honestly.

    "My relationship with the club is very honest. I've been open with them, and they know what I want.

    "If I stay, I'm very happy, and I will always respect this club and give all my best. If not, it's football and we'll just see what happens.

    "It's a big club, and they don't want players who are not happy at the club. They always say to all of us that if you're not happy, you can go.

    "Of course, they are in business and they want the right amount of money for letting us go, but personally it's a relationship with the club that is very respectful.

    "They have always been honest with me, and I have always been honest with them.

    "As I said, I will always respect my relationship with Man City, with the fans, with the staff, with my team-mates, so whatever happens happens, and for sure, it will happen in a very respectful way."

    Having started 33 matches in the Premier League last season, Silva was a substitute in Sunday's opening win over West Ham, appearing for the final 12 minutes.

  • Alexis Sanchez passes medical and completes Marseille move Alexis Sanchez passes medical and completes Marseille move

    Alexis Sanchez officially signed his contract as a Marseille player on Wednesday after passing a medical with the Ligue 1 club.

    A busy week for Sanchez had seen him depart Inter on Monday when his contract was terminated, before Marseille announced a deal in principle had been agreed on Tuesday.

    Marseille fans were made to wait little longer for formal confirmation of an eye-catching signing.

    The former Barcelona, Arsenal and Manchester United man arrives in France looking to recapture his best form, having started only seven matches in Serie A last season – albeit he still scored five goals.

    Sanchez had netted seven for Inter the previous season, again often appearing from the bench, as the Nerazzurri won the Scudetto.

    Marseille's statement on Wednesday described Sanchez as "a world-class player with a great experience of the very highest level".

  • Matic, not Dybala, the key signing for title hopefuls Roma, says Capello Matic, not Dybala, the key signing for title hopefuls Roma, says Capello

    Nemanja Matic, not Paulo Dybala, is the signing that will provide the biggest boost to a Roma side who should be looking to push Inter for the Serie A title this season, according to former Giallorossi boss Fabio Capello.

    While Roma's sixth-placed finish in Italy's top flight last term was nothing out of the ordinary, Jose Mourinho did lead the club to success in the inaugural Europa Conference League.

    Overall, the season provided a solid foundation for Mourinho and Roma to build on, and they have enjoyed a promising transfer window as they prepare for the new campaign.

    Georginio Wijnaldum, Mile Svilar and Zeki Celik all add depth to the squad, while Paulo Dybala arrived on a free transfer after his Juventus contract expired – the Argentinian's signing galvanised the fanbase and has been seen as a real statement of intent for the season to come.

    Yet while Dybala may have attracted most of the focus, Capello – who spent time at Roma as a player and coach – thinks Matic may be an even shrewder acquisition after the experienced Serbian joined on a free from Manchester United to work under Mourinho for the third time.

    Asked if he liked the signing of Dybala for Roma, Capello told Il Mattino: "Sure, who doesn't like him?

    "But Mourinho's real shot is there in the middle, and it's Matic. He's impressive, few know how to dam the middle of the field like he does.

    "Obviously Roma cannot hide [not play proactively], but I don't think, given the enthusiasm, that they think of doing that."

    Roma have not won the Scudetto since the 2000-01 season, which was their first title success in 18 years.

    Capello is not getting carried away and suggesting they are the frontrunners, but he does expect it to be the Giallorossi and Milan presenting the biggest challenge to Inter.

    "It will be fun. I see a very balanced Serie A, a bit like last year, although the balances may still change based on market operations this month," he continued. "But, for example, Roma is there [as a challenger], with intelligent operations.

    "Inter are always a step ahead. Roma and Milan are the ones that seem to me already complete, and that's a plus.

    "Juventus live with [Paul] Pogba's injury and there is a risk that he could play with the handbrake pulled due to the injury, fearing he could miss the World Cup in Qatar.

    "And also Napoli is there in the running for a place in the Champions League."

    Roma begin their campaign away to Salernitana on Sunday.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.