Lewandowski had his head turned by his agent, says Bayern director Salihamidzic

By Sports Desk May 22, 2022

Wantaway Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has had his head turned by his agent, according to the Bundesliga champions' sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic.

Lewandowski last week confirmed that he has informed Bayern he will not be extending his contract beyond the end of next season when it is due to expire.

The Poland international stated after the final game of the season against Wolfsburg that he had not received a proposal for new terms.

However, Bayern chief executive Oliver Kahn insisted on Saturday that was not the case, with a "concrete offer" being tabled to his agent.

Salihamidzic has now accused Lewandowski's representative of talking his client into a move away from the Allianz Arena, where he has spent the past eight seasons.

"He got an offer. I don't know what the agent said to his player, but we definitely made an offer," Salihamidzic told Sport1 on Sunday.

"We had a conversation with the consultant and said very clearly how we imagined the future, with a very clear sum and terms.

"He has an advisor who has turned his head and has turned it all year round. It's not clean."

Reiterating earlier comments made by Kahn, Salihamidzic vowed Bayern will not look to sell Barcelona-linked Lewandowski in the upcoming transfer window.

"Robert has a contract until 2023 and he will fulfil it," he said. "We have the greatest respect for Lewy. FC Bayern have always behaved correctly."

 

Lewandowski has scored 50 goals in 46 games for Bayern in all competitions this season, making him the top scorer among players from Europe's top five leagues.

That is the second-most the 33-year-old has managed across his eight years in Bavaria, behind the 55 he netted in 2019-10.

While questions will inevitably continue to be asked about Lewandowski's future, Manuel Neuer looks set to extend his stay with Bayern.

Like Lewandowski, the Germany international's contract has just over 12 months left to run, but he is reported to have been offered a one-year extension on top of that.

"I'm very optimistic. Manuel is one of the keys to success," Salihamidzic said. "Please be patient, but we're on the right track. We're on the home stretch."

Related items

  • Ronaldo has no interest in Fenerbahce move - Jesus Ronaldo has no interest in Fenerbahce move - Jesus

    Jorge Jesus says Fenerbahce have no chance of signing Cristiano Ronaldo as the Manchester United forward wants to play in one of the 'big five' leagues.

    The Red Devils are reportedly open to offers for the Portugal captain, who only returned to Old Trafford from Juventus last September.

    Ronaldo was on the bench for United's 2-1 defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion in their opening game of the Premier League season, before starting in the chastening 4-0 thrashing at Brentford last Saturday.

    The prolific forward's future has long since been the subject of speculation and Fenerbahce are among a host of clubs said to be keen to sign him before the transfer window closes on September 1.

    Fenerbahce head coach Jesus has ruled out any possibility that the prolific 37-year-old could be on his way to Turkey.

    He said: "Yes, I'm a friend of Ronaldo, But he doesn't want to come, he has other ideas.

    "I think he doesn't want to play in any league other than one of the big five."

    Asked if he thinks Ronaldo will stay at United, the Portuguese replied: "I know that he will not play for Fenerbahce."

  • Neville fears bottom-half Man Utd finish without Cristiano Ronaldo Neville fears bottom-half Man Utd finish without Cristiano Ronaldo

    Gary Neville has warned Manchester United over the ramifications of an exit for Cristiano Ronaldo, expressing his fears the club could finish in the bottom half of the table.

    United's start to life under Erik ten Hag has been woeful, losing back-to-back matches against Brighton and Hove Albion and Brentford to sit at the foot of the Premier League.

    Pressure is already mounting on Ten Hag, who faces a stern test on Monday against Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, and the final weeks of the transfer window could be decisive.

    United have been linked with a host of players, but the biggest story continues to be the future of Ronaldo, who is widely reported to be pushing for an exit due to his desire to play Champions League football.

    Reports on Tuesday suggest United's stance has changed, with the club now said to be willing to listen to offers for the 37-year-old, but Neville is fearful of the impact his departure could have.

    "I think there's a massive decision they have to make on Cristiano Ronaldo and they're damned if they do, damned if they don't," he said on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football.

    "A few weeks ago before the season started, these two results, [the] best thing to do was facilitate a move out the club for Cristiano because he's obviously not happy and the club aren't happy with him.

    "The problem they have now is if they lose him, there's nothing left in terms of the goalscoring part of the pitch and I genuinely think if they don't bring players in or if they bring in poor players in and he leaves, I genuinely think they can finish in the bottom half of the table.

    "That's a bottom half of the table team, that's a massive statement."

    Suitors for Ronaldo appear to be few and far between, with Italian giants Inter and Milan said to have rebuffed a potential move, while fans of Atletico Madrid have made their feelings against a transfer clear.

  • Man City seal Sergio Gomez signing from Anderlecht Man City seal Sergio Gomez signing from Anderlecht

    Manchester City have confirmed the signing of full-back Sergio Gomez on a four-year deal from Anderlecht.

    The 21-year-old, formerly of Barcelona's youth set-up and Borussia Dortmund, worked with ex-City captain Vincent Kompany at the Belgian club and has joined for a reported fee of £11million.

    Gomez is City's fourth acquisition of the transfer window, following on from the captures of Kalvin Phillips, Erling Haaland and Stefan Ortega.

    "I am incredibly proud and happy to have joined Manchester City," he told the club's official website.

    "City are the best team in England and in Pep Guardiola I have a chance to learn and develop under the most outstanding manager in world football.

    "To be able to be part of this club is a dream come true for me and something any young player would aspire to.

    "The number of trophies City have won over the past few years has been incredible and the style of football the team plays under Pep is the most exciting in Europe.

    "Playing for and being guided by Pep and his coaches is going to be very special.

    "I've heard so much about the City fans and how passionate they are, so I can't wait to get started and to try and help the Club achieve even more."

    City have won their opening two Premier League fixtures against West Ham and Bournemouth, with Newcastle United next up on Sunday. 

    Our new number 21 #ManCity pic.twitter.com/5oGXj5ZdUY

    — Manchester City (@ManCity) August 16, 2022
© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.